• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97 finale; My Adventures with Superman S2 May 25; The Boys S4 June 13

I like New Rockstars but I don't watch the clickbait speculation vids just the recaps/easter eggs. I also watch Screen Crush.

I'm sure it's the confluence of Majors' issues and a downward trend at the box office making Disney suits nervous that movies that they no doubt have forecast to earn $1.5-2B are going to follow that trend down.

Here's my 2 cents, stick with the plan, no one is easier to replace the actor for than Kang. Loki has shown us that variants need look nothing like each other.

"Clickbait speculation" /= "word on the street"

Oh and for what it's worth (not much) I can't stand New Rockstars. I just don't like hyperactive presenters and they are the baitiest of clickbait channels. If you dig it though, rock on with the rockstars. They're better than the legion of bearded angry white guys, most certainly.

"The Marvels" - fine. There was silliness (singing planet, flurkins flurkining) but this whole endeavor is just silliness to varying degrees. Apparently Aladna was from a storyline from after I stopped collecting and in the comics they rhyme, not sing, so, again... fine. Box office though... not so fine, worst MCU opening ever. My crystal ball predicts a big drop off as well, though the only thing keeping that from being too drastic is the low denominator.

Did you actually watch the video?

They have part of an interview with the writer of one of the most in-depth non-fiction books about Marvel and the MCU that there is (MCU: The Reign of Marvel Studios), who has many close contacts within Marvel Studios and the Disney group.

I'm not sure what kind of presenter you'd wanna see...they gotta make you excited and express interest and act like they actually wanna be there....if you prefer a monotone Marvel press release-only reader as your source of Marvel news/tidbits, then more power to ya. If your main issue is the video titles and that they are "clickbait", they actually purposely make silly titles/thumbnails sometimes and even make fun of some of their more outrageous bits. Besides, the entirety of YouTube is clickbait, so IDK what you're expecting.

What kind of similar channels can you actually "stand" or think are "good"? And that's not being condescending (sorry if this post comes off that way), I'm being sincere. I watch a few other channels here and there, but there's one particular channel that I absolutely cannot stand that literally puts forth every theory as "This is going to be this, and it's going to lead to this, so it will connect to this, and they're gonna take that and do this with it and that's what's going to happen" with absolutely NO pretense of opinion. Everything is stated as FACT and never "I think that..." or "Wouldn't it be cool if they did this..." or "I wonder if...". And the dude sounds like a 16 year old tool. So annoying (so I guess I can see how certain channels can trigger you).

[EDIT: I couldn't remember the name of the channel because they all run together these days, but it's [something] A____e. (I want to give as little information as possible as to not direct ANYONE to that terrible channel). My god what a shit show.]

And IDK how familiar you are with New Rockstars, but Erik Voss is an EXTREMELY devoted and hard-working Youtuber. He and his team do tons and tons of research for the larger videos like Easter-Eggs and such, but just like any other channel, they have to put out content...and seeing as how there's only 1 MCU movie and 1 DC movie next year, and 1 more Disney+ MCU show this year/this winter and potentially 2 TV series next year, there's not much they can do BUT speculate. It's not like they are just making all kinds of shit up...they use interviews and releases and other sources to provide context to their theories. I mean, isn't that kinda what we do here? I don't see how it's any different.

If you're looking for someone that really knows their stuff, they had a guy that used to work there named MT (@MasterTainment on x.com) who was really great...knowledgeable, extensive recollection of comics storylines and characters, and had a great attitude. He wasn't nearly as "WELCOME BACK TO NEW ROCKSTARS, I'M ERIK VOSS AND THIS IS THE....." as Erik Voss, if that's what's so terrible for you, though he was definitely more rambunctious on his own channel before he moved to New Rockstars. He's definitely a goofy/silly excitable guy. But he's explained before, like a lot of energetic/funny/comedic personalities, he suffers and has suffered from severe depression and maybe bipolar disorder for a while (me too), and uses the comedy/personality to hide from his disease.

He's got his own channel on YouTube now....well, went back to his old channel that he had before New Rockstars....and according to his twitter he apparently works for/with HeavySpoilers now, so that's cool. New Rockstars had a staffing issue and had to let go a lot of their people....or actually had to make them "independent contractors" without concrete employment contracts, so most of them left to do their own thing or to another site/channel. But MT was responsible for a lot of the much maligned "hidden easter egg" from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1 that I don't think has been found, still. But it's a secret Easter Egg embedded in the coordinates of all of the planets/locations in GotG (and other films I think) and the soundtrack and just hidden details among the scenes of the movie that point to the real identity of Peter Quill's mother. Here's an old video referencing the topic, but it's not the first or original because it's had so many iterations I have no idea where to start, but at least in this one, Erik explains the source of the Easter Egg and what it's all about. MT has a (relatively) new video up on his channel claiming to find the final Easter Egg, but I haven't watched it yet. James Gunn has specifically mentioned him in audience interactions as being extremely, extremely close to the final Easter Egg, and may even have part of it, but he won't confirm it until it's complete. So that tells you how dedicated MT is to this whole ball of wax.

Also, if you aren't familiar with it, though I think I mentioned it previously in this thread, Erik Voss/New Rockstars produces another channel called The Deep Dive (LINK) where he produces long-form (45min-1hr) videos about once a week or 2-3 times a month analyzing different movies'/franchises' and their subject matter, themes, easter eggs, backgrounds, central myths, metaphors, allegories, etc etc etc. They are all definitely worth a watch. His most recent video went in-depth into John Carpenter's The Thing and used video evidence and deduction to analyze and pretty damn near prove exactly who was infected when and by whom. I actually watched the movie before the breakdown so I could be surprised by the proof and explanations, and it did not disappoint. That movie is pretty nuts. His analyses of Alien/Aliens and the Steven Spielberg movies are also worth a watch.

He loves the genre(s) they cover and some of the stuff he covers he's very close to and it means a lot to him, and I think you can see that in the videos.

But hey if you wanna go ahead and stick with the random dude playing a video game for 6 hours and the "eating random foods" content, great! I'm sure those are very thought-provoking. :homer-disappear:

And not to be a total New Rockstars fanboy (of which I totally am, not ashamed), but they do have a THIRD channel called The Breakroom (LINK) which is a panel of hosts discussing the biggest headlines of the day and the news from Hollywood/Film/Marvel/etc. Generally four people, usually 2 producers of the show, 1 host, and a guest. They do random funny things and bits as well, but they also usually have a central question or speculation/theory for each show that is based on headlines and have some detailed chats and discussions about what and where they think Marvel is going, as well as DC and other properties. For example, after every episode of LOKI, or every other Disney+ series, they'd do an immediate LIVE Twitch reaction show, and air the replay on The Breakroom after they finished called "Inside Marvel" discussing the show and its direction, and of course, the all-frightening "speculation". They also did/do a show called "Wookieleaks" after The Mandalorian or Ahsoka or any Star Wars property. Just various stuff like that. It's a fun podcast deal (that is actually released as a podcast I think) that I just put on sometimes in the background.

I think the inner author (albeit shitty author) in me is starting to come out on these boards....I feel like every post I make nowadays is a billion words long. But as I've stated many times previously, I get confused easily, and thus want to make sure others completely understand me when I explain something. And yes it almost always leads to aggravation and repulsion from others, especially telling stories or explaining things in person....but, oh well...fuck it.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's the confluence of Majors' issues and a downward trend at the box office making Disney suits nervous that movies that they no doubt have forecast to earn $1.5-2B are going to follow that trend down.

Here's my 2 cents, stick with the plan, no one is easier to replace the actor for than Kang. Loki has shown us that variants need look nothing like each other.

Yea, many sources have said that they fear the "introduce a Big Bad and then tease them in 5-10 movies/shows before actually dealing with them" model was only a one-hit wonder, and that they need to actually get to that Big Bad sooner rather than later with fresh ideas and more focused writers' rooms and teams cooperating.

Not gonna lie. I noped out about half way through. Could not keep my focus. Guess I've found my kryptonite; super hero podcasts/speculation videos. I'm a little surprised if I'm being honest. I'm really a great big nerd.

Disney+ will release a new episode of What If? season 2 every day from December 22-30.

Lalo Salamanca! Hopefully they get Tony Dalton to voice the Swordsman at least.

That looked really good and I'm in. The "that" being What if, not the prior one. What if? showed a number of characters I didn't recognize. If only there was a Youtube channel that does trailer breakdowns...

So who I thought was the Swordsman was actually Steve Rogers with a sword (ostensibly from the 1602 episode). Thanks Screen Rant for setting me straight with your thorough trailer breakdown (and cute puppy).

Weak villain, but that's the case for most MCU products, so it's not an outlier.

Finally got around to seeing The Marvels so that I can be in this thread again. I agree that the villain was kinda weak but was curious about most MCU films having weak villains and I'm not so sure that's the case.

Phase 1: Loki (2x) and Red Skull (50%)
Phase 2: Ronin, Hydra, Ultron (50%)
Phase 3: Zemo, Vulture, Hela, Killmonger, Thanos (2x), Mysterio (63%)
Phase 4: Wen-Wu, Gorr, Green Goblin, Namor (57%)
Phase 5: Kang, High Evolutionary (66%)

Obvious this is subjective but you'd need to remove three from this list to fall under 50%.

Products. I'm including the TV shows too.

I haven't done an accounting of all the movies and their villains but the list is missing Malekith and whoever Mr. Eko was playing. Malekith is at the top of "most bleh" MCU villains for me. Also it looks like you're missing all the Iron Man vills. There's a >0 chance I'm misunderstand the list as presented.

I wasn't going to make a post just for this next point, but since I'm composing anyway... Netflix had an animated version of Scott Pilgrim drop today. I really liked the movie, the series seems to be just a re-telling. The whole gang's back together though, as the voice actors.

He just listed the villains who aren't weak.

Finally got around to seeing The Marvels so that I can be in this thread again. I agree that the villain was kinda weak but was curious about most MCU films having weak villains and I'm not so sure that's the case.

Phase 1: Loki (2x) and Red Skull (50%)
Phase 2: Ronin, Hydra, Ultron (50%)
Phase 3: Zemo, Vulture, Hela, Killmonger, Thanos (2x), Mysterio (63%)
Phase 4: Wen-Wu, Gorr, Green Goblin, Namor (57%)
Phase 5: Kang, High Evolutionary (66%)

Obvious this is subjective but you'd need to remove three from this list to fall under 50%.

This typo confused me for a bit lol.

Back