• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer; The Boys returns June 13

Peggy Carter is one of the standout characters in the MCU. She's been given far more depth than we usually see especially for women characters. She's tough as nails but not a hardened soldier.

She really is well written. It's rare you get a female character that's written in a way that she gets to be badass without losing her humanity. Usually you either get the damsel in distress or the so hardcore she might as well be a guy. Peggy instead is being played as a real woman with real emotions and real conflicts, but she just happens to also be a badass super spy.

Speaking of Marvel female leads, the movie for Captain Marvel is far away, but I've been reading her series on Marvel Unlimited. They've done a fantastic job with Carol Danvers, she's far from a damsel in distress but neither is she a dude with a huge rack.

Hopefully we'll hear something soon-ish, casting wise. Its release is 8 months behind Black Panther and we've only recently been hearing about that. I'm guessing they'll introduce her in GotG2.

Hayley Attwell is awesome.
http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2015/01/hayley-atwell-pictures-tweeted-from-agent-carter-set/

hayley-atwell-agent-carter-jimmy-kimmel-dressing-room-cupcakes.jpg

Marvel is quashing the Spidey rumors.

She really is well written. It's rare you get a female character that's written in a way that she gets to be badass without losing her humanity. Usually you either get the damsel in distress or the so hardcore she might as well be a guy. Peggy instead is being played as a real woman with real emotions and real conflicts, but she just happens to also be a badass super spy.

I totally agree with all of this. Just watched this week's episode last night & the ending scene really showcased her being just a regular woman at the end of a brutal couple of days.

Also, Civil War is being filmed in Hotlanta!

WOOT

So a few weeks after saying the Marvel Netflix shows will debut about 8-15 months apart from each other, we find out that AKA Jessica Jones will debut about 8 months or less after Daredevil (April 10).

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=113729

From the Netflix queue:

A.K.A. Jessica Jones: Coming 2015
Luke Cage: In this Marvel live-action series, a street-fighting ex-con battles crime in New York’s Hell’s Kitchen as the superhero Luke Cage. Coming soon
Iron Fist: "Marvel’s Iron Fist" follows superhero and martial arts master Danny Rand in the upcoming live-action series. Coming soon
The Defenders: "Marvel's The Defenders" brings together Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Luke Cage in an epic superhero team-up in New York City. Coming soon

Two episodes to go in Arrow Season 2. Thought I would watch one episode before bed last night. 4 episodes later I had to tear myself away at 12:30 a.m.

Felicity could Smoak my tower server.

I totally agree with all of this. Just watched this week's episode last night & the ending scene really showcased her being just a regular woman at the end of a brutal couple of days.

Whatever the female version of uber-bro is, Peggy Carter is that. The show is unique in that it has two female showrunners and you can tell. It makes a strong case for more women running these comic book shows.

I'm extremely impressed with the Peggy Carter character. They took what could have been a one-off damsel in distress, Cap's girlfriend, and made her a lynchpin of the early days of the MCU. The fact that Atwell is a big part of the development of her character is a huge plus, too. Word is she initiated a meeting with Marvel execs to figure out a way to get in Age of Ultron and came up with her cameo by writing it down on a napkin. Now I'm guessing they used linen napkins wherever they met but that's beside the point.

Here are some great observations posted by people on the message board I get much of my info from:

I'm digging it so far. There's an interesting use of gender inversion in the two episodes: Peggy reminiscences over Steve's "demise" and her loss triggers her definite character arc. She loses Colleen and pushes Jarvis back repeatedly in the second episode as well as her waitress buddy because she fears for both their lives. She's constantly out on the field, doing the legwork while Jarvis largely stays in the car until he comes in and lend a hand (and even then, it's all her for the most part.) Daniel Sousa seems to be the best candidate as new love interest for Peggy and he remains supportive of her and her creditability without being entitled or walking over her. He seems to be someone who appreciates Peggy and sticks up to her. I see these story elements a lot with male lead roles, so it says something that it can work both ways.

Peggy is a fully realized character with issues and goals of her own. She's trapped in a world where all her hard work goes barely appreciated and insultingly ignored; it must be hard for her to deal with all the frustrations of being a competent, intelligent woman in the 40s and have men look down upon her. Yet people like Sousa and Howard Stark - the latter a known womanizer have immense faith in her. I even dug the femme fatale look she had going for her in the pilot; the way she attempted to seduce felt more like an homage to the time period this takes place in than anything (though the second episode seem to establish disguised identities is something she is just damn good at.)

- I loved that opening sequence when Peggy Carter is the splash of color walking upstream against a sea of gray pedestrians. It's such a distinctive visual that also communicates something about her.
- And she's wearing a fabulous hat, even if it made me think she's an Agent of SHIELD by way of Carmen Sandiego. Like Neo Yi, I love the sense of style they had in the 40's.
- In general, I'm totally 100% OK with it if the best we get out of the entire mini-series is Hayley Atwell in period clothing week after week. She wears it all so well.
- I also appreciate that she's got the more robust figure that was prevalent at the time (vs. actors like Gwynneth Paltrow or Amy Adams, as much as I like them both) -- it makes it seem more period-accurate and more credible when she's beating the holy hell out of someone. I like it when someone's fighting style says something about their character, and despite the crust of British reserve, Peggy Carter is a street fighter and a brawler, not an elegant fighter the way Cap or Black Widow are (especially in the second movie). Her build reflects that.
- Hayley Atwell has also done a lot of training or she's got a very good stunt double, because the fight scenes didn't look horribly artificial or awful.
- That said, I think my favorite single scene of Peggy Carter ass-kicking was when Van Erb takes off and she calmly asks Roxxon's chief, "Where does that hallway lead?" followed by the ultra calm, cool walk and the borrowing of a briefcase for something other than its intended purpose. I thought that was hilarious, and I love how she's the only one (other than Roxxon, suspiciously) who doesn't completely freak out.
- Subtle thing: that moment only works if you assume Peggy made copious mental notes about the layout of the building the first time she ever walked into it. That's actually really good spy tradecraft right there. They do the same thing in the nightclub and the fight in her apartment.

- I like that these 2 episodes found ways to show how the strain gets to Peggy Carter. Stuff like the way she completely breaks down after she throws Mysterious Killer Guy out a window, and the way she takes a giant swig of whiskey after disarming the explode-y thing in her bathroom.
- The Comics Alliance recap notes that this premiere (and, presumably, the series) is really About Something and I'm inclined to agree. The theme of Peggy's fight against male chauvinism pervades nearly every single plot twist and character moment in the show so far, which gives it more weight than the average action/adventure series. Also begs the question of how far we've really come from those days.
- Also agree with CA that I like how Carter's fellow agents aren't all bumbling fools (other than the designated bumbling fool). Peggy Carter is obviously better than the boys, but if she's one step ahead of them, it's only just barely. Raises the stakes that much more.

Is Tony Stark's mother going to be introduced in Agent Carter?

His mother, Maria, was mentioned in Iron Man, Iron Man 2, and Winter Soldier.

I watched The Incredible Hulk tonight. First time since the first time I saw it. Only MCU film I didn't see in the theaters.

I forgot it came out about 2 months after Iron Man. They look like they were made by completely different studios. Iron Man had the seeds of the Marvel style we've all come to know and love. It's like they tried something very different with The Incredible Hulk. They did stick with the bigger badder version of the hero as a villain like they did with Iron Man and apparently what they're doing with Ant-Man.

The CGI looks like it was done by the B-team, or at least it looks like they spent most of the budget on The Hulk and leftovers on everything else. Looks like an XBox One game. Overall, the action was weirdly scripted. Fight on a college campus. Streets of Harlem.

They didn't really establish if Hulk is triggered by excitement or anger. Banner says, "You won't like me when I'm angry" but he can't bone Betty because he's too excited (can't blame him). His transformations are more triggered by fear or self-preservation.

Some other notes:

It's just weird that the US governments spends so much time attacking college campuses.

Ross is good in this. Shame they haven't found a use for him. The Winter Soldier would have been a good if they wanted to expand the plot.
Blonsky was blah. Take him or leave him. The motivation for Abomination was poorly done.
They gave The Leader an origin. Not sure what a character like that has been doing all this time. At least they've got a super-genius lying around if they need one.

They made the right decision to only use Hulk in team movies. The world they started building wasn't worth coming back to.

At least if they ever try a hulk movie they don't need to waste time with an origin story. They can jump right in based off an screen time in the avengers and hints of the previous hulk movies.

I watched The Incredible Hulk tonight. First time since the first time I saw it. Only MCU film I didn't see in the theaters.

I forgot it came out about 2 months after Iron Man. They look like they were made by completely different studios. Iron Man had the seeds of the Marvel style we've all come to know and love. It's like they tried something very different with The Incredible Hulk. They did stick with the bigger badder version of the hero as a villain like they did with Iron Man and apparently what they're doing with Ant-Man.

The CGI looks like it was done by the B-team, or at least it looks like they spent most of the budget on The Hulk and leftovers on everything else. Looks like an XBox One game. Overall, the action was weirdly scripted. Fight on a college campus. Streets of Harlem.

They didn't really establish if Hulk is triggered by excitement or anger. Banner says, "You won't like me when I'm angry" but he can't bone Betty because he's too excited (can't blame him). His transformations are more triggered by fear or self-preservation.

Some other notes:

It's just weird that the US governments spends so much time attacking college campuses.

Ross is good in this. Shame they haven't found a use for him. The Winter Soldier would have been a good if they wanted to expand the plot.
Blonsky was blah. Take him or leave him. The motivation for Abomination was poorly done.
They gave The Leader an origin. Not sure what a character like that has been doing all this time. At least they've got a super-genius lying around if they need one.

They made the right decision to only use Hulk in team movies. The world they started building wasn't worth coming back to.

I at least liked that one better than the Eric Bana snoozefest. But I agree, Iron Man is light years ahead of Incredible Hulk.

Hulk just doesn't really translate to a standalone live action film. At least not one that tries to toe some line of realism. He's too powerful. Superman has the same problem, IMO.

Watched about an hour of XMen: The Last Stand the other night. Have to say, I liked it a lot more than I remembered. I guess I just like a lot of those characters.

Back