• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97 finale; My Adventures with Superman S2 May 25; The Boys S4 June 13

Everything I've seen in the last few months says Emily Blunt isn't interested but jk may be.

Changed the thread title with The Batman coming out next week.

After a successful James Gunn Peacemaker spinoff of The Suicide Squad, HBO Max has at least two spinoffs planned from The Batman.

While The Batman was conceived as a self-contained story and takes place outside Warner Bros.'s DCEU continuity, Reeves has already started dreaming of ways to expand this new world beyond the big screen. As previously announced, the Cloverfield director is executive producing two spin-offs in development at HBO Max: a drama about the Gotham City Police Department, which was announced in July 2020; and a series about the Penguin's rise to power.

"What I really wanted this movie to do is create a Batverse," Reeves tells EW in our latest digital cover story. "You don't do a story and go, 'This is Chapter 1' because you might not get to do Chapter 2. So, the story had to stand on its own. But the thing about it is that the Bat world is so rich with character that as you're starting to come to an end, you can already start thinking about the next thing. Because the idea, of course, is that Gotham's story never ends."

While Reeves can't reveal which other characters they're thinking about doing shows about, he's looking forward to these projects because they'll be "more character-focused than you can even do in a feature," he says.

"I love the idea of doing a story where you're really telling chapters of a character's life the way that The Sopranos did, right? There wasn't any one story that was Tony Sopranos'. It was all one epic novel about his life," says Reeves. "I think that to me is what's thrilling about long-form and the idea of being able to have created this version of the world [in The Batman] and then pull pieces off of that to do this kind of expansive storytelling."

https://ew.com/movies/the-batman-matt-reeves-hbo-max-spin-offs/

It got me thinking about a post I thought on made this thread, but on the old boards about a Kingpin show similar to The Sopranos.

From what I heard, everything about that Wonder Woman show except for Tyra from FNL as Wonder Woman sucked. It was from David E. Kelley, so it was basically Ally McBeal with Wonder Woman.

If you want to see quality Wonder Woman, check out the animated movie that came out 2 years ago. Excellent. Great story. Beautifully told.

Still haven't seen the Smallville finale yet. I stopped watching several seasons ago when the whole Clark-Lana stuff got completely ridiculous and she started getting powers or something like that. So I randomly tune in at the beginning of this season to see they've basically got a Justice League going and the show revolves around Green Arrow as well as Clark and it's a who's who of big time DC characters coming in and out every week.

By the way, Smallville developed out of an idea to do a similar show about Bruce Wayne. Last time I looked, the wiki for the Bruce Wayne concept described the pilot in depth. It would have been very interesting. It still boggles me that there were able to do a live-action Superman for 10 years that was faithful to the character on the lowest budget network, but we can't get a major DC or Marvel character on a major network. How sweet could a live-action Batman be? On a similar thread on the Quad, I pitched a concept for a Kingpin show that could be sick.

This post was still several months before Arrow was greenlit and jumpstarted network superhero shows.

As previously announced, the Cloverfield director is executive producing two spin-offs in development at HBO Max: a drama about the Gotham City Police Department, which was announced in July 2020; and a series about the Penguin's rise to power.

I feel like I've seen this show before...

I could get behind an origin series about The Penguin.

After Peacemaker, I'll give Gunn the benefit of the doubt on anything he puts out. I had zero expectations for that series and liked it tremendously.

It’s not going to be an origin series. It’s set to take place right after The Batman. So it’s probably about Penguin as a newly minted crime boss.

That article or some other one seems to suggest the DC plan is to put each franchise in good hands and give them the creative freedom to do whatever on HBO Max with side characters. That’s probably a good plan. They don’t need to do another Justice League anytime soon.

It’s not going to be an origin series. It’s set to take place right after The Batman. So it’s probably about Penguin as a newly minted crime boss.

That article or some other one seems to suggest the DC plan is to put each franchise in good hands and give them the creative freedom to do whatever on HBO Max with side characters. That’s probably a good plan. They don’t need to do another Justice League anytime soon.

Origin story is the wrong word...just in depth exploration of the character and maybe throw in some flashbacks a la Peacemaker or Boba Fett? I know I'm in the minority on this, but I enjoyed the Boba Fett stuff about his time with the sand people.

Origin story is the wrong word...just in depth exploration of the character and maybe throw in some flashbacks a la Peacemaker or Boba Fett? I know I'm in the minority on this, but I enjoyed the Boba Fett stuff about his time with the sand people.

I did too but I thought there would end up being more of a payoff. I kept waiting for the sand people to show up at the end and kick some Pike ass but...that never happened.

The Batman is getting very positive reviews.

A 10 from IGN? I’m legit shocked Batman is that good. Kind of excited to see it now.

There is no fucking way the guy from Taintlight makes for a good Batman is there?

There is no fucking way the guy from Taintlight makes for a good Batman is there?

There was no way the guy from 10 Things I Hate About You would be a good Joker, but he was.

Robert Pattinson is actually a good analog for Ledger. Both started in rom com silly stuff but are/were actually pretty fucking good actor.s

A review I read was that the movie was great but lacked a dynamic villain. So maybe this is like Batman Begins.

Last edited:
Back