• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97 finale; My Adventures with Superman S2 May 25; The Boys S4 June 13

Smallville avoided the cape thing by putting Clark in red and blue combos with jeans. Wouldn't work in a feature film like this.

Costume will probably look better when he's moving around doing superhero things. Standing still in a dessert isn't very flattering. Glad they didn't do anything remotely close to the X-Men black-leather copout. It's a superhero movie. Superheroes should look like superheroes.

Black leather made sense for a team origin. Why should a team have different uniforms?

Bad costumes could have doomed superhero movies for a long time.

I mean, it's worked for X-Men for like, 50+ years (and basically every superhero ever, including in their films), so I'll go with that.

Honestly, if you're turned off by a superhero movie because the superhero looks like a superhero, you probably weren't going to be that into the movie anyhow.

X-Men and every superhero movie since have been trying to get people who wouldn't go see a superhero movie.

The X-Men movies did what worked for them. Dressing Wolverine in yellow spandex would have killed it. That's why Cyclops' line in the jet was the line of the movie. Everybody knew.

You're arguing a point I never made.

Can you provide one example of a bad costume dooming a superhero movie? Bad superhero movies are bad because they're bad. Not because of bright-colored costumes.

First Thor 2 poster.

Thor-The-Dark-World-Poster.jpg

Can you provide one example of a bad costume dooming a superhero movie? Bad superhero movies are bad because they're bad. Not because of bright-colored costumes.

tumblr_ljytw3TYs61qcwjy8.jpg

The nipple suit dominated the hype for this movie and it was doomed before people realized that it sucked.

I said bad costumes in X-Men in 2000 could have doomed superhero movies. X-Men jumpstarted the genre 3 years after Batman & Robin. It probably would have been dismissed if they had stuck too closely to the costumes.

It was important for this genre to be seen as legitimate action fare, especially without an established character like Batman.

tumblr_ljytw3TYs61qcwjy8.jpg

The nipple suit dominated the hype for this movie and it was doomed before people realized that it sucked.

I said bad costumes in X-Men in 2000 could have doomed superhero movies. X-Men jumpstarted the genre 3 years after Batman & Robin. It probably would have been dismissed if they had stuck too closely to the costumes.

It was important for this genre to be seen as legitimate action fare, especially without an established character like Batman.

Batman & Robin netted the studio like $100 million. A ton of people saw that movie. It wasn't doomed from the nipples, get real. It was "doomed" only in the reviews and in historical perception. People only really remember the nipples because the movie was awful; it's shorthand.

Fact is you can't name a movie that people didn't see because of the costumes because it's a stupid premise. X-Men was absurdly popular in the 1990s and had been around since the '60s. It's not like they were the Watchmen. You really think people wouldn't have gone to see Wolverine if Wolverine had looked more like Wolverine? There's a happy medium in there between black leather lameness and bright yellow cosplay.

If you make good movies about comics, people will see them, because people like seeing good action movies. It has absolutely nothing to do with whether the characters' costumes aren't in primary colors.

X-Men was absurdly popular among people who follow comics, not among a mainstream audience.

X-Men was absurdly popular among people who follow comics, not among a mainstream audience.

Probably closer to being true.

But I never read any of the comics but I was a big fan of the X-Men from the animated series...that stuff was awesome.

Probably closer to being true.

But I never read any of the comics but I was a big fan of the X-Men from the animated series...that stuff was awesome.

I don't think I had heard of the X-Men before the arcade game came out. Definitely was a fan of the animated series.

You know, for such a badass character wolverine really does have one of the stupider superhero costumes.

<--------- obviously, I am a Wolverine fan.

You know, for such a badass character wolverine really does have one of the stupider superhero costumes.

<--------- obviously, I am a Wolverine fan.

I really liked the X-Force version of the Wolverine costume.

wolverine___x_force___render_by_shadowsf07-d4lxd1b.png

And the brown version of the costume that came out when he had his first solo series was better than the yellow version.

wolverine18.jpg

Sure those variants are better but the idea of that headgear and boots on a real human is just silly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Sure those variants are better but the idea of that headgear and boots on a real human is just silly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I guess. I don't know that the mask is any more ridiculous than the hair style. They've more often than not opted to use the Ultimate imprint for character design than the traditional 616 continuity anyway.

i.e.
Ultimate.jpg

Back