• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Windy’s the pirate pilot of this Chat, if he gets with the ultraviolet dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Submitted for the CT:

We had to take our car in to be worked on last week. It needed a new axel and a new rack and pinion steering rack. The mechanic had it three days and got it back to us last Thursday. Over the weekend, we notice that the car is leaking something and not quite driving right (engine would rev before engaging with the wheels). We call the mechanic on Monday to bring it back and fix the problem. Turns out the seal wasn't quite right and a spring had come loose. The car became undriveable and we had to have it towed to the mechanic Monday evening. The tow was 100% covered by roadside assistance. They had the car was ready on Wednesday. We weren't able to pick up the car until today. Everything seems to be working fine (and mechanic has a 4 month warranty on labor for the same issue).

Person A: Great, we brought the car back and they fixed the mistake in a timely manner and the car is as if they had done it correctly the first time and we weren't out any extra expense. Transaction complete.

Person B: We should ask the mechanic for a refund for a portion of the original repair cost because it wasn't done completely right the first time and caused more inconvenience for us being down a car for additional and unnecessary time.

Who ya' siding with?

Submitted for the CT:

We had to take our car in to be worked on last week. It needed a new axel and a new rack and pinion steering rack. The mechanic had it three days and got it back to us last Thursday. Over the weekend, we notice that the car is leaking something and not quite driving right (engine would rev before engaging with the wheels). We call the mechanic on Monday to bring it back and fix the problem. Turns out the seal wasn't quite right and a spring had come loose. The car became undriveable and we had to have it towed to the mechanic Monday evening. The tow was 100% covered by roadside assistance. They had the car was ready on Wednesday. We weren't able to pick up the car until today. Everything seems to be working fine (and mechanic has a 4 month warranty on labor for the same issue).

Person A: Great, we brought the car back and they fixed the mistake in a timely manner and the car is as if they had done it correctly the first time and we weren't out any extra expense. Transaction complete.

Person B: We should ask the mechanic for a refund for a portion of the original repair cost because it wasn't done completely right the first time and caused more inconvenience for us being down a car for additional and unnecessary time.

Who ya' siding with?
and to think you didn't @TimmyClutch this...

Submitted for the CT:

Who ya' siding with?
A. It’s done. Shit happens. Yes it was inconvenient but when they tell you no you will be more irritated and spend more time dwelling on it. Move on and be thankful they got it squared away

Submitted for the CT:

Who ya' siding with?
I think you could have reasonably asked them to pay for a rental car or something while they were fixing the issue, did they offer that?

At this point I’d be Person A for sure though, a lot of extra effort in getting a refund that will probably not be worth it. A well run business should probably be offering you some sort of compensation due to their mistake, but I’m not sure how well it’s going to go over if they don’t offer it and you try to ask for it anyways.

I think you could have reasonably asked them to pay for a rental car or something while they were fixing the issue, did they offer that?

At this point I’d be Person A for sure though, a lot of extra effort in getting a refund that will probably not be worth it. A well run business should probably be offering you some sort of compensation due to their mistake, but I’m not sure how well it’s going to go over if they don’t offer it and you try to ask for it anyways.
They didn't offer anything. And also, the inconvenience was that we had 2 cars instead of 3, so just had a little more juggling to get kids to activities/school for a couple of days.

They didn't offer anything. And also, the inconvenience was that we had 2 cars instead of 3, so just had a little more juggling to get kids to activities/school for a couple of days.
Tough situation, but I think if you cared enough to get compensated for your inconvenience you would have been much better off fighting for that on Monday compared to now.

I think best case scenario is that they offer you two days worth of money for a rental car, so I guess you have to ask yourself if that amount of money is worth it for you to potentially have to fight with them about. I sincerely doubt they would give you any significant discount on the original work that was done.

Submitted for the CT:

Who ya' siding with?
I tend to go with A. That said, if you had paid out of pocket for a tow then I think you're well within your right to ask for that money back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back