• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Pay your fare and hop on the rail, next stop is the Thread of Chat

My job for a couple of years was to review charges that contractors were adding to their transportation projects and advise whether those charges should have been part of the original bid or whether they constituted a legitimate change that the contractor could not have known about prior to the project and thus a valid additional expense. The issue being, every change that was denied was money that the contractor would not get on top of the base price, and would instead come out of their bottom line, so contractors fought extremely hard for every change so they wouldn't lose any money from their profit. Every proposed change also had a percentage of profit built into it as well. The contractors would get the subcontractors to help them, because otherwise the subcontractors would have to fight with the contractor for money that the contractor didn't want to give up. So all these forces were working against the government who was trying to stay on schedule, and not trying to go over budget. Its a lose lose situation for the government, if you pay, your costs go up and if you don't, you get sued and have to fight about it in court. The government bid system is also not about who does the best work, or who is the most experienced, those come into it, but the main factor is who is the cheapest. So obviously, the cheapest bidder is going to leave things out that they then will want to add on the change orders. All this to say, I totally understand why the Federal government isn't interested in building a national high speed rail system.
Yeah and I just got a call from the hiring mgr at the Fed agency I’m interviewing with. Scheduling a final round then she said to email her after if I’m still interested. I asked her why (she also asked me the question when she first called) and she’s worried I might take another role since the Fed takes a while to approve things. I guess the other candidate already is a Fed worker so they’d be more used to that. But she was trying to push the bennies and all that so it’s her trying to sell me on the role. This would be 1A or 1b with another org I’m talking to, just gotta check salaries and other things.

Basically if it takes forever to hire someone for a super white collar communication(s) role I can’t imagine getting actual major projects underway.

Getting a free $500 battery thanks to a class action lawsuit I didn’t know existed until after I got to the dealership. Glad I didn’t just go to Autozone to test my battery.

Yeah and I just got a call from the hiring mgr at the Fed agency I’m interviewing with. Scheduling a final round then she said to email her after if I’m still interested. I asked her why (she also asked me the question when she first called) and she’s worried I might take another role since the Fed takes a while to approve things. I guess the other candidate already is a Fed worker so they’d be more used to that. But she was trying to push the bennies and all that so it’s her trying to sell me on the role. This would be 1A or 1b with another org I’m talking to, just gotta check salaries and other things.
Barca, I am not familiar with your life goals or motivations, but I will say this, the Federal government needs good people to work for it, so that it can work effectively. There has been a concerted effort for decades now to make the Federal government appear disorganized, corrupt and poorly managed. This is to sow distrust in the government. This effort has worked. Now people don't want to work for the fed, because people who work there are viewed as inferior or subpar and couldn't get work in the private sector. This way of thinking has become perverse throughout our society. Still, many federal employees are hardworking bright people who understand the importance of service and want to make the world a better place. So if you have opportunity to work a job you enjoy and be part of the government, I hope you consider it.

Barca, I am not familiar with your life goals or motivations, but I will say this, the Federal government needs good people to work for it, so that it can work effectively. There has been a concerted effort for decades now to make the Federal government appear disorganized, corrupt and poorly managed. This is to sow distrust in the government. This effort has worked. Now people don't want to work for the fed, because people who work there are viewed as inferior or subpar and couldn't get work in the private sector. This way of thinking has become perverse throughout our society. Still, many federal employees are hardworking bright people who understand the importance of service and want to make the world a better place. So if you have opportunity to work a job you enjoy and be part of the government, I hope you consider it.
I certainly am and would be happy to work here since it’s an agency and dept that’s super interesting to me based on work my parents did.

im not sure i'd buy another subaru. Have a '17 outback and a '20 Ascent; both new.

They're pretty nice but too many electrical problems.

im not sure i'd buy another subaru. Have a '17 outback and a '20 Ascent; both new.

They're pretty nice but too many electrical problems.
We've got a '20 Ascent that's been rock solid, what kinda electric problems do you have?

I have a 2018 Forester that hasn't had any issues short of Eyesight randomly stopping working once and needing to be recalibrated (mostly annoying because it was a week w/out cruise control!)

Speaking of which is "will use its reasonable endeavor to procure that a suitable substitute is available" grammatically correct?

I changed it and they came back and said no, this is grammatically correct and now I am confused.

Back