• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA Tournament Discussion Thread - One Shining Moment - UConn Huskies

i have no strong opinion on hubert davis as a coach one way or the other, but not sure you can use postseason success/failure to argue against him when he took an 8-seed to the Finals his first season

Bacot wasn't very spectacular during the postseason. The Holes were extremely dependent on Davis (and Ryan to a lesser degree). Davis chose the wrong time to have a bad shooting night. End of season

March Clemson = November Clemson. That was great. Maybe some day we can be great in November and March. But I had a hard time in the UNC game trying to figure out who to root against harder because I really don't like Oats and Bama either. Hopefully the Tigers can pull off what Miami did last year.

Some things never change, Caleb love still can’t water if he fell out of a boat. He may be the worst good player or the best bad player I’ve ever seen. Not sure which one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently the only months that really matter are November/December and March.
Not exactly.

Unlike WF, Clemson played a strong OOC schedule (#68; 2nd hardest among the 15 ACC teams) in November and December; they did well. That allowed Clemson to go 11-9 in the ACC (like some other team that is followed on this Board) and make the NCAA tournament. Contrary to Clemson, WF played a pussified OOC schedule (#249), which left WF no room for error for the Deacs for a late-season loss to a team like ND or GT (FWIW, Clemson lost to both those teams too). Also the reason why Pitt was left out was their OOC schedule was embarassing - #340.

This isn't new news. Play a rigorous OOC schedule, and do well, you can stumble in conference play and still get a bid (also, it doesn't mean that conference play doesn't matter; Clemson dropped at least 3 seed lines for poor conference play; UNC played their way into a #1 seed with strong conference play). As long as WF continues to schedule a bunch of #300 or worse teams, and then, schedule their "tough" OOC games against other bubble teams (and lose most of those games), WF will have to avoid all mis-steps in conference play. Clemson learned how to schedule to enhance their NCAAT resume, and they made the tournament, and they have now advanced to the Elite 8 (guessing that Clemson playing tough OOC games helped prepare them for the NCAAT BTW). WF continued the same weak OOC scheduling philosophy, and missed again.

Last edited:
The Caleb Love hate is amusing. The guy carried UNC to a championship game and is the PAC 12 player of the year.

I have no idea if he's going to be a great NBA player or washout immediately, but should be fun to follow.

The Caleb Love hate is amusing. The guy carried UNC to a championship game and is the PAC 12 player of the year.

I have no idea if he's going to be a great NBA player or washout immediately, but should be fun to follow.
Hard to think of a player that is more closely tied to a team's success and has had such a wide variance of results.

100% agree that Caleb Love is the reason #8 seed UNC cam within three points of a Natty in 2022.

He's also the reason, why 2023 UNC started the season #1 in the country and failed to make the NCAAT (which I believe was a first since the field went to 64).

And, Love is largely the reason 2024 AZ was a #2 seed, and why favored AZ lost by 5 to Clemson (Love was 5-18 from the field -- 0 for 9 from three -- 1 assist 3 TOs). Just a crazy Jeckyl and Hyde performer.

just misfiring all over the place the last 12 hours, swood

Love got recognition for putting up volume counting stats on high-volume, low efficiency output as he’s done for his entire career

his entire legacy is based on a small sample size in a high-profile moment, but he’s just not that good

just misfiring all over the place the last 12 hours, swood

Love got recognition for putting up volume counting stats on high-volume, low efficiency output as he’s done for his entire career

his entire legacy is based on a small sample size in a high-profile moment, but he’s just not that good
He's like a ten pins bowler who earns the "century" award. That is for bowling a single game 100 or more above your average.

I mean, I guess a national championship appearance as an 8 seed outweighs completely missing the tourney as the preseason #1 then getting bounced as a 1 seed on maybe the dumbest shot in the entire tourney. But… I’m not sure how good I’m feeling about Hubie if I’m a UNC fan.

That was the equivalent of Forbes putting in Keller and watching him brick a 3 despite Sallis being on a heater and only being down 1. The Forbes accountability thread post count would quadruple.

As much as it pains me to say it, in the case of UNC they have a right to a higher standard.

Mr. 2-bid ACC is skipping out on an engagement party because he really wants to see a rapist play

The way that the NCAA/CBS has shielded Shannon is way worse than the way that they shielded Brandon Killer.

Oats and Underwood are gross humans.

The way that the NCAA/CBS has shielded Shannon is way worse than the way that they shielded Brandon Killer.

Oats and Underwood are gross humans.
Don't know the details, and I could be wrong about this, but thought that the University of Illinois suspended Shannon from the team based on the allegations alone based on the school's no tolerance policy for sexual assualt allegations; at that point, as a senior with no eligibility left, Shannon was done as a college basketball player, and then, Shannon's attorneys filed a TRO against Illinois based on the argument that the Illinois suspension violated Shannon's due process (which is true as Shannon was suspended without the opportunity to defend himself). The Court agreed and ordered Illinois and Underwood to reinstate Shannon to the team. I guess that Underwood could have just benched him for the season, but it's inaccurate to claim that Illinois/Underwood ignored the allegations and played him anyway. They did suspend him for the season, but were ordered to re-instate him.

This sentence is just absolute nonsense:

“But having an engagement party at the same time as UConn/Illinois with the way Terrence Shannon Jr. playing is BOLD.”

Oh you mean these people didn’t reschedule their engagement party because of a game that was just scheduled last week??

Back