• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Year's FB Team + Scholarship Tracker | Spring Transfer Portal Open

IAppreciateIt

no bunting allowed
Reaction score
Summary:
We started with 99 players who could take a scholarship next year, 14 over the max.

21 are incoming freshmen (green)
21 more walked on senior day but I believe could still return (orange)
There are a bunch more guys who haven't graduated but fit the mold of dudes who might transfer (e.g. Will Towns or Christian Greene)
5 players are out of eligibility (red at the bottom)

I think we'll want to add at least five transfers, probably more -- so we should expect over 20 additional guys to end up departing, but would not be surprised if it's a lot more.

Updated 11/28

Deadlines to keep in mind for the roster:
Transfer portal windows:

December 4, 2023 to January 2, 2024
April 16, 2024 to April 30, 2024

Signing period for HS recruits:

December 20 to December 22, 2023
February 7, 2024 to April 1 2024

NFL Draft declaration deadline:

January 16, 2024

Last edited:
I had 7 guys out of eligibility (Garnes, Jones, Roberts, Harris, Helbig, Clapp, Jurgens) , who do you have?
If "Jones" is Chase Jones, he has a season of eligibility left. Clawson has talked about how his future is uncertain given he missed the entire 2023 season with a concussion (so, it must have been bad).

Jones at WF:

2019: Played as a true frosh
2020: Played, but doesn't count COVID
2021: Played
2022: Played
2023: Red-shirt concussion.

ah my bad -- should be viewable now. i think clawson said harris could also potentially get an injury waiver for this year along with jones.

Awesome! I appreciate it! Good way to get ahead of the upcoming madness.

I have the same numbers as you do. Steih was on the OL this year is the only difference I have on positions.

Deadlines to keep in mind for the roster:

Transfer portal windows:

December 4, 2023 to January 2, 2024
April 16, 2024 to April 30, 2024

Signing period for HS recruits:

December 20 to December 22, 2023
February 7, 2024 to April 1 2024

NFL Draft declaration deadline:

January 16, 2024

So, this is really a juggling act to get to 85, as the deadline dates are all different.

Hard to know how many HS recruits you can sign before the December 22 deadline because the transfer portal remains open until January 2nd. You may think that your roster is pretty set after the first transfer portal closes and after signing day, but then, players may declare for the NFL draft; think that impacts several key Deacs (Mustapha, Carson, Davis, Banks, Greene and Gordon) who could stay, transfer or test the NFL draft.

Players to pursue another season: Greene, Banks, Williams, Gordon, Davis, Mustapha. Davis I think is the only guy who has a legit chance to be NFL, but that doesn't mean he's the only one who tries.

Would not pursue: Ellison, Marucci

Neutral, but would not use NIL here if better spent elsewhere: Morin, Carson

OL losing its best players when it was already shaky is a huge concern. I know those guys probably come at a premium, but maybe that is where we can try to throw some NIL bags at guys to see if we can make any dent there.

I have no idea what to do at QB. I guess you try to get Kern to come back? And bring in some kind of G5 guy with potential or a P5 looking for a change. So you have an open competition with Kern/transfer/Hecklinski. I would not blame Kern at all if he didn't want to go for that, but I don't think I'd be comfortable guaranteeing him a starting spot next season. Assuming Marucci and Griffis both move on.

At QB, I would love to see what Utah QB Nate Johnson could do in the slow mesh (probably unrealistic get though). We haven't had true running threat play QB since Newman. Selfishly, I would be excited to see Thor Griffith the DT from Harvard play at Wake, as he is from the football recruiting hot bed that is Portsmouth, NH.

As I understand the current NCAA transfer enforcement rules, as a second timer, Mustapha may not have the transfer option unless he is graduating this Spring.

This is his fourth year, so that's likely.

Love our core WR group of Key, Banks, and Morin and what they've done for the program but they all seemed to take a step backwards this year. Maybe time for them to all move on. Would love for Donavon to come back but kid just can't seem to stay healthy.

Love our core WR group of Key, Banks, and Morin and what they've done for the program but they all seemed to take a step backwards this year. Maybe time for them to all move on. Would love for Donavon to come back but kid just can't seem to stay healthy.
Also, Walker Merrill does not seem to have gotten enough better to play. Maybe the new WR coach isn't doing what Higgins did.

Players to pursue another season: Greene, Banks, Williams, Gordon, Davis, Mustapha. Davis I think is the only guy who has a legit chance to be NFL, but that doesn't mean he's the only one who tries.

Would not pursue: Ellison, Marucci

Neutral, but would not use NIL here if better spent elsewhere: Morin, Carson

OL losing its best players when it was already shaky is a huge concern. I know those guys probably come at a premium, but maybe that is where we can try to throw some NIL bags at guys to see if we can make any dent there.

I have no idea what to do at QB. I guess you try to get Kern to come back? And bring in some kind of G5 guy with potential or a P5 looking for a change. So you have an open competition with Kern/transfer/Hecklinski. I would not blame Kern at all if he didn't want to go for that, but I don't think I'd be comfortable guaranteeing him a starting spot next season. Assuming Marucci and Griffis both move on.
I’d probably try to keep Carson. Not because I think he’s great, but because I think everyone else on the team is pretty terrible.

The only one I thought really took a step back was Morin (except for the Cuse game). The other two simply couldn’t get the ball thrown to them.

Also, Walker Merrill does not seem to have gotten enough better to play. Maybe the new WR coach isn't doing what Higgins did.
Merrill was injured and could not play the last half of the season.

Carson will have NIL offers (and a possible NFL option). Will take some coin to keep him here.

The only one I thought really took a step back was Morin (except for the Cuse game). The other two simply couldn’t get the ball thrown to them.

That's a fair statement - maybe more accurate phrasing is that those 3 have reached their ceiling. I'd rather see Alexander, Grimes, Merrill, Mays, Melvin, and Gates out there.

Back