• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Year's FB Team + Scholarship Tracker |

the fact he got invited to the senior bowl (not very common for our guys) suggests he’s more highly regarded than i would have thought

A lot of Senior Bowl guys don’t get drafted.

Commentators mention he's a draft prospect but do we know how high of a prospect he is? I don't think it was a done deal he was leaving to be a Day 3 pick or UFA.
I don’t have any concrete evidence of his draft stock. Anecdotally, it has just always felt like he’s a stud who fit the mold of a guy who was going to play in the NFL, so that’s just been my assumption for better or worse.

Best of luck to Malik. He’s been a great Deac. I’ve thought the only thing holding him back from an easy Day 3 grade at worst is his size. Hope he kills it and gets drafted.

I don’t have any concrete evidence of his draft stock. Anecdotally, it has just always felt like he’s a stud who fit the mold of a guy who was going to play in the NFL, so that’s just been my assumption for better or worse.

He might sign on as an UFA but he’ll see some meaningful action in NFL. If Bassay and Taylor can make a roster - Malik will.

That scouting report reminds me of watching our secondary since about 1985.

Poor tackling, gave up far too many big plays (for easy touchdowns where the opposing WR just walks in), out of position and gets beat over the top too often, despite very good closing speed, great hands, good run support and strong ability to disrupt receivers at the line of scrimmage. Our DB's are never anywhere near the line of scrimmage when the ball is snapped!

Seems like 2006-2009 is the only time when I sat in my seat at a game and thought "we are Shutting Down their passing game. We are shutting this shit down."

Poor tackling, gave up far too many big plays (for easy touchdowns where the opposing WR just walks in), out of position and gets beat over the top too often, despite very good closing speed, great hands, good run support and strong ability to disrupt receivers at the line of scrimmage. Our DB's are never anywhere near the line of scrimmage when the ball is snapped!

Seems like 2006-2009 is the only time when I sat in my seat at a game and thought "we are Shutting Down their passing game. We are shutting this shit down."
This scouting report is fair. Mustapha is elite in run support but average in coverage.

Yeah but also had some studs end of Grobe administration (2011-2013). Kevin Johnson, Josh Bush played in NFL and Bud Noel and AJ Marshall were solid too. Grobe era had some studs in secondary. Even pre-Fresh Deacs was solid - Patrick Ghee, Josh Gattis, Eric King, Quentin Williams

We need a S in the portal.

With Mustapha gone, we’ve now lost our top 4 safeties from this year. Mustapha and Garnes the solid pieces of our secondary; AJ Williams transfer means losing depth when he likely would’ve been a starter. And Harris never added a ton here but started on the 2-deep before injury as well.

Yeah I also was saying Mustapha was an NFL talent after seeing him play a couple games.

is he big enough to play safety at next level? Thinking he’s a corner

We need a S in the portal.

With Mustapha gone, we’ve now lost our top 4 safeties from this year. Mustapha and Garnes the solid pieces of our secondary; AJ Williams transfer means losing depth when he likely would’ve been a starter. And Harris never added a ton here but started on the 2-deep before injury as well.
Keep in mind that WF has 5 DBs in the currrent HS recruiting class, and I believe at least a couple are expected to enroll in January. One them, Tayshaun Burney, has really gotten rave reviews. Given the way CFB is changing there is no reason to red-shirt your best athletes anymore (particularly at the skill positions); obviously, the frosh have to be ready, but among WF's safety options will be at least one, maybe two players from this incoming class.

is he big enough to play safety at next level? Thinking he’s a corner
Mustapha's size is not ideal for an NFL safety, but his skills are far more suited to safety than CB. Agree with those that said that Mustapha initial path to the NFL will be as a special teams standout. He just screams like the type of player that would dominate covering punts and kicks.

Back