• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Year's FB Team + Scholarship Tracker |

Generally agree. Will also add that unless Mustapha is graduating, he can't transfer without a waiver because he already used his free transfer. He could go to the NFL, however.
The big names that seem to realistic to get back and I'd be disappointed if they left (transfer or NFL) would be: Claiborne, Williams, Banks, Davis, Mustapha, Pointer, Hazen, Carson. And some of these guys walked on Senior Day, so I'm already expecting at least a few of them to be gone.

Obviously there are plenty more guys that I'd definitely prefer to play for Wake Football next year as opposed to alternatives, but those are the names that I think would single-handedly be creating an issue if they left. First year in a long while my version of this list excludes an OL.

Not Wake, but Riley Leonard in the portal. Things can change in a hurry, a couple of months ago they had one of the hottest coaches and one of the hottest QB's and now they ain't got either.

DaVonte Gordon should be on your list. PFF rated him high all-year; NFL and transfer portal are options for him. Otherwise, I agree.

DaVonte Gordon should be on your list. PFF rated him high all-year; NFL and transfer portal are option for him. Otherwise, I agree.
How is it Jurgeons had the highest or one of the highest Oline ratings in the country and Gordon highly rated as well and yet our Oline seemingly stunk? Yeah, I know Mitch was bad, but so was the line a lot of the time.

How is it Jurgeons had the highest or one of the highest Oline ratings in the country and Gordon highly rated as well and yet our Oline seemingly stunk? Yeah, I know Mitch was bad, but so was the line a lot of the time.
I stopped doing this after the first half of the season, but it was amazing how many times that the pocket would collapse on the QB, while Jurgens, particularly, and Gordon, often times, continued to keep their man out of the pocket. Really hurt WF when the Deacs lost OG Nick Sharpe in game 2 against Vandy. That move forced WF to use OL that either weren't ready or were hurt.

Put another way, doesn't matter if two OL are playing well, if two or three others are not.

The actual admissions issues we've heard about from multiple coaches are:
  • Wake requires you to earn 50% of your credits from Wake Forest in order to get a degree - this applies to all transfers no matter the school.
  • Individual departments get to determine what credits are accepted towards their major -- this is where the individual school biases come in.
  • Even if a transfer candidate accepts a loss of credits to come to Wake, they can lose enough to fall behind academically and be declared ineligible by the NCAA.
All of that combines to make upperclassman transfers pretty much impossible. However, none of it applies to graduate transfers who simply need to be accepted into the graduate program of their choice (not a guarantee, but easier).

This is correct, and really my point was that all of these factors are decided by decision-makers at the university that aren't the Admissions Office. (They are by and large faculty and/or accreditation issues.)

I stopped doing this after the first half of the season, but it was amazing how many times that the pocket would collapse on the QB, while Jurgens, particularly, and Gordon, often times, continued to keep their man out of the pocket. Really hurt WF when the Deacs lost OG Nick Sharpe in game 2 against Vandy. That move forced WF to use OL that either weren't ready or were hurt.

Put another way, doesn't matter if two OL are playing well, if two or three others are not.
Yep, it takes a good unit as a whole.

Legendary Patriots offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia has said (paraphrasing) that you can work around 1 bad lineman, but if its two or more, you are in trouble.

FWIW, I don't think our offensive line was as awful as many have posted.

Griffis did not have pocket presence. You need a QB who can work from a dirty pocket. Every good QB does.

Was always surprised he couldn't make more of a splash. Seemed like one of the best athletes at LB we've had in a while, but it never panned out, and the switch to DE was derailed by injuries.

Yeah- in-state kid with some big time offers - pretty big time recruit for LoWF. I think the fact that we had to move him to DE from LB is indicative of the larger problem of lack of size and athletes on the lines. However, it seems like the last 2 classes are getting bigger faster guys on defense by focusing more on Georgia and Florida players. Love NC kids but other than the 10 blue chip guys a year (70% of those who wouldn't even consider Wake)- talent just isn't there.

Yeah it wasn't some miracle that the line looked far better with Santino and Kern under center than with Mitch. He had a TON of plays where he just had no internal clock at all. Or he'd have a clear escape route and would instead coast directly into a sack. No line can block for a panicky QB.

Yeah it wasn't some miracle that the line looked far better with Santino and Kern under center than with Mitch. He had a TON of plays where he just had no internal clock at all. Or he'd have a clear escape route and would instead coast directly into a sack. No line can block for a panicky QB.

Nor can an OL hold its blocks for up to the 7 secs Mitch needed to make his decision where to go with the ball.

Mostly just get sacked. :(

The Dallas Cowboys OL could not have protected that kid. You can't hold the ball 10 seconds and then make a decision.

Obviously, we've found some pretty talented guys with the strategy of recruiting, but I've always wondered why we can't recruit OL like similar challenging academic schools. I feel like BC had a fucking bulldozer on the line of scrimmage for years.
I’m constantly baffled why this isn’t an area of strength for us…

I thought we were told that we offered a bunch of linemen last year in the portal but we don’t like them to make their offers public.

Anyways now that we know Wake can go after Juco Integrated Studies majors, I say we go after Grayson McCall.
Not sure Grayson McCall’s transcripts would allow him to transfer to Wake Forest Rolesville HS.

I’m constantly baffled why this isn’t an area of strength for us…

Yeah but historically BC is a better program than we are and obviously have a line in to the affinity group of the big Irish Catholic boys that often play OL that don’t go to ND. We don’t have that benefit. I guess we got the Baptist preachers kids?

Looks like we're losing grad LB turned DE Jaylen Hudson and his four tackles from this season. Did work in the community on literacy and Freedom School. Sorry if already reported.

Looks like we're losing grad LB turned DE Jaylen Hudson and his four tackles from this season. Did work in the community on literacy and Freedom School. Sorry if already reported.

Hudson was also really supportive of every other sport on campus. Good guy all around from what I hear. Hate it didn't work out for him.

Back