• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Year's FB Team + Scholarship Tracker |

80xdeac with a basic recruiting misunderstanding. Recruiting 300 pound linemen is easy, it’s finding skilled and athletic 300 pound linemen that is the difficulty. Many of Clemsons linemen possess comparable athleticism to our linebackers.

80xdeac with a basic recruiting misunderstanding. Recruiting 300 pound linemen is easy, it’s finding skilled and athletic 300 pound linemen that is the difficulty. Many of Clemsons linemen possess comparable athleticism to our linebackers.
Guilford College has a 330lb defensive tackle and 4 offensive lineman 300lbs or over. Guilford College is DIII and typically a bad DIII program. If size was the main thing in determining a players ability to play at the FBS level, those guys wouldn’t be at Guilford.

I’m pretty sure Clawson didn’t want someone who would interrupt Hecklinski’s development. If he doesn’t start day 1, I wouldn’t be shocked if he started later to get his 4 games and redshirt.

Yeah but this is the developmental old school way of doing things in college football. We shouldn’t be betting the farm on an un-proven high school kid that isn’t a 5 star. You gotta live year to year now especially at QB- get best guy you possibly can.

Yeah but this is the developmental old school way of doing things in college football. We shouldn’t be betting the farm on an un-proven high school kid that isn’t a 5 star. You gotta live year to year now especially at QB- get best guy you possibly can.
It’s also new school in the sense that you play him now so he doesn’t immediately transfer.

It’s also new school in the sense that you play him now so he doesn’t immediately transfer.
This is why I'm thinking it's slightly fortuitous that we're getting a freshman, who, if he's going to want to play or else possibly transfer (I don't know anything about his attitude personally), is going to have the physical maturation of a 20-year-old.

The following football Deacs received degrees this month:

I love the Elementarty Education! Schools are in such dire need of teachers, especially Black men. This is awesome!

So was CJ Leak.
I’m fairly certain CJ comes up more here than TN or FL based off pure dislike 😂. Since I always feel the need to defend him, he had really awful injury luck and we never saw what he could have been.

I think this works out for Duke. That’s a big get. I’d love to know how much money they offered him.

I agree Hecklinski should be given the green light if he's capable and I think Clawson stated as such in his presser this week.

But, I hope our staff does not fixate on one person going into 2024. Let's have an objective QB competition in both spring and fall and avoid the same calamity we endured in 2023. Surely we've learned that lesson.

Clawson can certainly get a QB in the portal next year if Hecklinski isn’t the guy. I assume he will get an experienced backup in the portal even if Hecklinski is.

This is a big- and utterly frustrating- get for Duke. This kid can play. The book is still being written, but we can't let Duke (it's freaky how much I hate that school) pull in this level of talent, while we fuck around with dudes we hope will be better than they've been previously. I know people are going to hammer out some "but what about this" and "our fans suck" and "remember that one cat who got really good" defenses of our recruiting, but at the end of the day, we have to recruit better. Everything else is fighting math, and math is relentless.

And I'm pretty sure he didn't avoid WFU because he was worried about playing time. Anyone afraid of our QB room is not the answer to our problems.

This is a big- and utterly frustrating- get for Duke. This kid can play. The book is still being written, but we can't let Duke (it's freaky how much I hate that school) pull in this level of talent, while we fuck around with dudes we hope will be better than they've been previously. I know people are going to hammer out some "but what about this" and "our fans suck" and "remember that one cat who got really good" defenses of our recruiting, but at the end of the day, we have to recruit better. Everything else is fighting math, and math is relentless.

And I'm pretty sure he didn't avoid WFU because he was worried about playing time. Anyone afraid of our QB room is not the answer to our problems.

I've read, can't remember where now (maybe on here), that Duke has an incredible war-chest of NIL dollars and obviously not afraid to use it. Is it they have more dollars to throw at this problem or that we've got to get better at this stuff?
I honestly don't the answer.

Clawson can certainly get a QB in the portal next year if Hecklinski isn’t the guy. I assume he will get an experienced backup in the portal even if Hecklinski is.
Wake will most likely need a portal guy for 2025. Level of desperation will depend on how well Gilliam and/or Hecklinski look in 2024 and whether whomever isn't the starter is willing to stick around as backup.

QBs that should be on the roster in 2025:
Hecklinski - (rFr or Soph)
Gilliam - (rSoph)
Hewlett (Fr)

That is a very young room. However, it may be difficult to get a grad guy to play second fiddle.

Who doesn’t have a NIL war chest? It’s the new arms race. The prices will just keep going up.

Duke has a sexier head coach, elite tier academics, and a bigger national reputation than us. They are going to occasionally get recruits that we can’t get, we should still be able to compete with them on average.

He's going to Duke because he's known Manny Diaz since he was an 8th grader.
Don’t ruin everyone’s mistaken notion that every player that doesn’t come here is because we didn’t try, coaches didn’t want or couldn’t afford, by revealing that sometimes it comes down to other things.

Duke has a sexier head coach, elite tier academics, and a bigger national reputation than us. They are going to occasionally get recruits that we can’t get, we should still be able to compete with them on average.
Manny Diaz is a sexy head coach?

He said “sexier.”

Back