• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023-24 NBA Season Thread - Thunder/Mavs Game 6

Are the Wolves gonna win it all?
Their odds are dropping like a rock. Incredibly, the Wolves opened as a dog in the Suns series.

After winning six straight against the Suns and Nugs (all with apparent ease), they are now +290, with the shortest odds of any other NBA team except for the Celts (+100).

couldn't really remember what the pre-draft thinking was for the 2020 draft (Ant, Wiseman, Melo) so I looked it up

most of it was pretty cautious (several B's): high-upside guy with some holes to fix, many saying LaMelo was their top guy

i'm not ready to write off the nuggets yet, plus the winner of this series will have a much harder test than the Celtics next round

couldn't really remember what the pre-draft thinking was for the 2020 draft (Ant, Wiseman, Melo) so I looked it up

most of it was pretty cautious (several B's): high-upside guy with some holes to fix, many saying LaMelo was their top guy
It was a weird draft. Wiseman was a well-known prospect but barely played for Memphis. LaMelo was just Lonzo's little brother until his stock rose after playing in Australia. I don't remember much talk about Ant during the college basketball season playing for a 16-16 UGA team. Of course, it was the pandemic draft as well.

i'm not ready to write off the nuggets yet, plus the winner of this series will have a much harder test than the Celtics next round
I love Denver, but there is a new sheriff in town. You just don't go 0-2 at home and recover. I've thought from the beginning that the winner of this series takes the West. After the last 2 games, I think the Wolves win it all, especially considering Tatum has a history of not so great performances late in the playoffs. It's Antman's time.

And as someone who has rooted against the Northeast teams forever and enjoyed the 90s Knick/Pacer rivalry, I was pissed at the kicking and moving screen calls in the last minute.

if Zinger is back, Celts would beat Wolves, if not, they wouldnt

Wolves have the size and physicality to handle Zinger. Absent significant injuries, I think they're now the team to beat.
i was thinking more on the defensive side. Boston is fine offensively without him.

Playoff tiers

Celtics
T-Wolves
Nuggets

Thunder
Knicks

Mavs
Pacers

Cavs

I'm not giving up on the defending champs and MVP yet. But it doesn't look good.

Wolves have the size and physicality to handle Zinger. Absent significant injuries, I think they're now the team to beat.
Not according to the linemaker. Celtics are the heavy favorite (+100):

Fan Duel

Celts +100
Wolves +290
Thunder +750
Knicks +950
Mavs +1200
Nugs +1500
Pacers +6500
Cavs +11000

i love ant, but he's still a little streaky and too much of the offense depends on him being a super star for me to choose the wolves over the celtics in a full strength battle

wolves can definitely do it, but celtics are so much more balanced

I don't know, man. Playoff Ant doesn't seem streaky. He has one bad playoff game out of six. In the other five games, he has at least 27 points on .522 FG.

It was a weird draft. Wiseman was a well-known prospect but barely played for Memphis. LaMelo was just Lonzo's little brother until his stock rose after playing in Australia. I don't remember much talk about Ant during the college basketball season playing for a 16-16 UGA team. Of course, it was the pandemic draft as well.
I was just thinking this earlier this morning as I was thinking about how I was surprised at the time that Ant was in the running for the #1 pick.

I did a search for him and I found a few posts by Biff (of course), Pilch, and RJ during the season but that's it.

Not according to the linemaker. Celtics are the heavy favorite (+100):

Fan Duel

Celts +100
Wolves +290
Thunder +750
Knicks +950
Mavs +1200
Nugs +1500
Pacers +6500
Cavs +11000
I get that - the Celts have been the favorites all year. But based on the limited number of playoff games, I'm with Ph and am trusting Playoff Ant more than Playoff Tatum. I mean he went into the opposing locker room before a game and told his hoops idol that he better lace them up tight.

This Wolves team strikes me as one that makes it to the Finals because Ant is so young and doesn't know any better. Then he spends the rest of his career trying to make it back and saying he thought it would be like that every year.

This Wolves team strikes me as one that makes it to the Finals because Ant is so young and doesn't know any better. Then he spends the rest of his career trying to make it back and saying he thought it would be like that every year.
That's possible through no fault of his own. The West is that tough.

The following other teams have at least one player under 30 who should finish their career as an all-time great.
Thunder
Nuggets
Mavs
Suns
Pelicans
Kings
Grizzlies
Spurs

Several of those guys are 25 or younger. That list is conservative and doesn't include very good players like Sengun, Markannen, and Simons. And I'm sure the Clippers, Lakers, and Warriors will figure out a rebuild.

Back