• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023-24 NBA Season Thread - Mavs-Celtics Finals; 11 years, $76 billion TV deal

Jalen Williams is absolutely a core player

dude is so good
I agree. But who could they get if they packaged him with a pick? That's the question. Is SGA, Chet, Jalen, and Giddey + a star going to win a championship? If so, which star?

Basically. Inexplicable back injury that wasn't tied to any particular collision or impact. I'd be surprised if we see him play again this season. Cody Martin 2.0. As a season ticket holder, it really pisses me off to see an entire starting lineup on the bench in street clothes every game. LaMelo, Ntlikina, Hayward, PJ Washington, Mark Williams. Outside of LaMelo (and I guess Ntlikina but that was preseason), none of these are injuries where the guy went down and you said oh shit he is hurt. The rest of them just walked off sometime and and never came back for weeks on end. There is no question that if this was the 90s these guys would be out there playing.

Both LaMelo and Ntlikina are listed as Questionable for tonight against the Spurs. Would be typical Hornets to get fired up for LaMelo's return only to instead get Frankie N going 1-8 with 4 points and 6 TOs in his Hornet's debut.
If this continues much longer, I am going to get up from my seat and go over and sit in 2&2s lap and suck my thumb the whole game.

I agree. But who could they get if they packaged him with a pick? That's the question. Is SGA, Chet, Jalen, and Giddey + a star going to win a championship? If so, which star?
Have complete faith in Sam Presti to figure that out.

LaMelo coming back tonight vs the Spurs.

i think he's damn near untradeable at this point -- he is the star

Zach Lowe article last week kicked off his list with "Jalen Williams, true co-star, has arrived, and so have the Oklahoma City Thunder"

OKC is not trading Jalen Williams; they are winning championships with him.

Depends because some picks are protected, in which case OKC's rights roll over, but OKC could have as many as 12 1st round picks in the next 5 drafts; plus a ton of 2nd round picks. Don't see OKC trading a key current piece, but they will trade draft capital because they won't have enough room on their roster to keep all of these picks.

I'm trading Giddey before J-Dub.

They're gonna have to trade someone eventually I would imagine. They're all max or near-max guys, and 4 max guys ain't working in the new CBA.

That's stupid. Really stupid. The only possible decent explanation is if teams feel like they need more time for trades during the draft period. And even then I'd just be for starting the draft at 7:00 and adding some 12-15 min breaks after the lottery and between rounds.

If they're doing it for ratings, that's even more stupid. Casuals won't tune in for only the 2nd round. Only hardcore fans watch the 2nd round anyway and most probably only watch for their team.

However, the league is also hoping that moving the second round to the next day will provide teams with more time to work out more possible trades and refine what’s become a chaotic process of attempted deal-making with selecting players crammed into a few hours.

So they are allowing more time for trades that they then have to wait 2 weeks to formally announce? That seems dumb. They have like 2 months between the (rigged) lottery selection and the draft to figure out their trades. An extra few minutes is really going to seal the deal? If it means they can announce the trade as it is happening like the NFL then I'd be more on board.

I don't pay close attention to Hornets, but saw their "Re!magine Spectrum Center" email this morning and this seemed interesting:
  • Additional Seating – An additional 2,500 lower-level seats will be added in 2025, allowing many more fans to be closer to the action. All seats within the arena bowl will also be replaced at that time.
I assume this means taking out any of the low density premium seating areas (if they have any, haven't been in the arena since the last ACC tourney which I guess was '19), but this seems like a ton of additional seats. How are they pulling this off?
There is actually a decent amount of open space in the lower level. They built the arena in response to the Charlotte Colosseum's complete lack of luxury suites / open space, so they went a little overboard on the design of this arena with the suite and club areas.

Now, none of that matters if they keep putting out a shit team that can't stay healthy.

LaMelo coming back tonight vs the Spurs.
That is great to see. It usually takes him a few games to get back into form, so expect a game of wild shots and stupid turnovers. But he better damn well be wearing some ankle braces.

lamelo is the only reason to ever watch a hornets game as a neutral fan

glad he's back

Back