• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023-24 NBA Season Thread - Conference semifinals; Lakers hire JJ Redick?

Hiring Griffin, firing Griffin, and hiring Doc were all strange moves in their own right.

Healthy Knicks and the Heat seem like the only major threats to the Celtics. I'd like to see the Celtics face a warmed up Embiid in the first round. Nuggets-Celtics seems inevitable.

Think Philly is a threat (maybe the biggest EC threat) to Boston IF (a big "if") if Embiid is healthy. He looked pretty good in his first game back. Philly was 27-8 and with Joel in the lineup this year. They were first in the NBA in offensive rating. If Embiid is 100%, will take my chances (as a big dog) with Philly and Nick Nurse in a series against Boston and Joe Mazulla. Boston has been on cruise control all year. They felt no pressure. If there is a competitive series, after last year's loss to Miami, and that fanbase which is always ready to eat their own, can see Boston cracking.

FWIW, the best case scenario for Philly is to get the #7 seed and avoid Boston until the EC Final when Embiid would have another six weeks to get back to form as the NBA playoff are never-ending.

76ers 2nd in the NBA in Net Rating with Embiid (people forget he was the NBA MVP favorite when he went down):

Think Philly is a threat (maybe the biggest EC threat) to Boston IF (a big "if") if Embiid is healthy. He looked pretty good in his first game back. Philly was 27-8 and with Joel in the lineup this year. They were first in the NBA in offensive rating. If Embiid is 100%, will take my chances (as a big dog) with Philly and Nick Nurse in a series against Boston and Joe Mazulla. Boston has been on cruise control all year. They felt no pressure. If there is a competitive series, after last year's loss to Miami, and that fanbase which is always ready to eat their own, can see Boston cracking.

FWIW, the best case scenario for Philly is to get the #7 seed and avoid Boston until the EC Final when Embiid would have another six weeks to get back to form as the NBA playoff are never-ending.
But what kind of game shape will Embiid be in, and how many minutes is he realistically going to play? He looked somewhat easily gassed in his 1st game back.

Exactly. That's why the 76ers are 14 to 1 to win the East (and dropping) and the Celtics are -140. It's a long shot, but think there is value if Embiid is healthy.

The Hornets and Spurs are now tied for the 3rd lottery slot.

Yet both teams won last night.

I went to Spurs-Pels and had a great time. Good atmosphere. Decent seats. Cheap tickets. So much fun to see my team comeback to win even a meaningless game.

So Brandon Miller was pretty good last night- 32 points on 13 shots. He is the guy going forward for the Hornets and and unlike some other guys, he actually wants to play.

can't build a winner around Dame

Maybe they could trade for Jrue Holiday, that guy looks like just what they need

Last edited:
I know people talk a lot about moving the 3 point line back/eliminating the corner 3, but what about bumping the rim up to 10'5"? Honestly think that would make the game more exciting.

Think of how short people were when they decided 10 feet was the right hight.

10 is so generic. The short people from back then just said, "it needs to be something divisible by 5, and no decimals" why are we just accepting that 10 feet is the right height for basketball?

Last edited:
I wonder how many players there are in the nba who can dunk at 10 feet but not at 10 and a half feet? I would bet that would eliminate only a small amount of guys.

I guess Embiid is ducking Wemby like he ducks Jokic. He chose to play the Grizzlies in this back-to-back instead of the Spurs.

The Hornets are up on the Thunder at home in the 4th. The Spurs are beating the Sixers. Don't they know it's tanking time?

I know people talk a lot about moving the 3 point line back/eliminating the corner 3, but what about bumping the rim up to 10'5"? Honestly think that would make the game more exciting.

Think of how short people were when they decided 10 feet was the right hight.

10 is so generic. The short people from back then just said, "it needs to be something divisible by 5, and no decimals" why are we just accepting that 10 feet is the right height for basketball?
My crazy rule proposal would be to change it to 4 on 4. The players are too big and long and quickly cover ground on the defensive end. More space would make for better basketball.

Sixers-Spurs is some fun meaningless basketball. Maxey has 54. Vic has 33/17.

Back