• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023-24 NBA Season Thread - Games 3 and 4 weekend (8 games)

i mean, the hornets are tanking, so lamelo might be soft, but i'm pretty sure the organization doesn't want to win any games so it's plausible that the decision to shut him down is not on lamelo himself

yeah Hornets are definitely tanking but you would think Lamelo wants to prove himself to doubters after he signed max contract that last year's injuries were a fluke. Instead, he plays in even less games this year. Maybe it is the Hornets shutting him down, but c'mon man tell them you are ready to play and you are suiting up!

LaMelo actually playing with Miller would be more valuable than slightly better odds at a better pick in a draft with no consensus order of the top 8.

LaMelo actually playing with Miller would be more valuable than slightly better odds at a better pick in a draft with no consensus order of the top 8.
completely agree with this. Seeing how the two of them mesh together during the lastt ten games could be a really nice piece of information to have when it comes to who they draft. Could completely change whether they draft a guard or not.

Exactly. Nobody in this year's draft is worth tanking for. These are valuable games for both Miller and LaMelo's growth that LaMelo is missing. Plus, Bridges is leading the NBA in minutes played and Miller plays a ton every night, so it isn't like upper management is telling them to tank. I think LaMelo is just a giant pussy.

I can't say for sure if the Rockets would have started tanking 10+ games ago if they owned their own pick or weren't getting the Nets lottery pick. But going on a 10 game winning streak to get one game back of the play-in seems to have worked out well for them.

The Hornets would be far better off knowing their core and needs. Probably wouldn't help to have an accurate assessment of LaMelo's trade value just in case.

I think they generally know what they have. Miller is an All-NBA level talent who comes to play every night and will be the face of the franchise for a long time. Bridges, off the court exploits excluded, is a solid third option who also plays hard. They also have a bunch of rotation younger guys who are decent role players - Richards, Tre Mann, Grant Williams, Micic, and Poku.

Then they have a slew of high-impact guys who can't stay healthy - LaMelo, Mark Williams, Cody Martin. They need to draft and sign over all 3 of them, as none of them can be counted on. So they need a guard, a big, and a wing, with one of those three being a solid #2 option. If one or more of those 3 actually becomes that #2 then great, but none have shown they can stay healthy enough to do so, so I wouldn't count on them and would make moves as if they aren't even on the team.

They also need a new coach, which is probably the easiest to fix.

fwiw, i'm not arguing the merits of lamelo playing vs. not playing if he's able to go

just acknowledging that the decision isn't wholly his to make, certainly not enough to label him a "pussy" -- at least based on the information that I have available to me

fwiw, i'm not arguing the merits of lamelo playing vs. not playing if he's able to go

just acknowledging that the decision isn't wholly his to make, certainly not enough to label him a "pussy" -- at least based on the information that I have available to me
Including the Covid-shortened season, he will have played in 184 out of a possible 318 games through the end of this season. That is 57.8%, with no real major ACL or Achilles type injury necessitating prolonged recovery. He participates in pregame warmups like he is going to play, then retires to the locker room to reemerge in his ridiculous outfit du jour for the bench that Cam Newton would be proud of. I like his game, but he is a pussy.

and it's getting a little boring tbh

that said, I think there will be another wave of adaptions and it won't be this way forever

I’m not sure how you bring back midrange jumpers aside from reducing 3-pointers to 2.5-pointers.

No idea what the next evolution will be except more players shooting deeper threes.

yeah the game kinda sucks now. there are so many second and third order effects that can be tough to predict. i kinda liked an idea of moving the three point line back and eliminating the corner three.

the chaos idea i love is letting the home team set their own three point line wherever they want within some set of constraints

Moving back the line will stop some players from shooting. But it opens up that much more space to make it harder to contest deeper threes. That space probably won’t be used to shoot midrange jumpers.

Getting rid of the corner three would help though.

I still enjoy the nba and along with college football and soccer it’s one of the few leagues where I’m interested in watching a regular season game that doesn’t feature my team, which says something when there are 82 of them

but it is pretty predictable and it feels like there are definitely ways to make it better, the foul-hunting is the worst part of the modern game for me

that said, a chart like that definitely overstates a bit the flattening of the game, imo — there are still pretty big stylistic differences among players in teams in how they get to similar shot charts

Knicks-Spurs in OT. Brunson has 59. The Knicks all-time high is Carmelo with 62. Wemby with 37, one short of his career high. 2:34 left.

Brunson finished with 61. Wemby had his first 40/20 game (40/20/7/2/1 with 4 threes). Spurs win their third straight.

The Spurs, Hornets, and Blazers are within 1.5 games of each other for the #3 lottery spot.

Last edited:
and it's getting a little boring tbh

that said, I think there will be another wave of adaptions and it won't be this way forever

The game has changed since 2019-20 as well.

Hmm not sure what to say if you think the game sucks now.

Between the talent, the consistency (players/coaches/refs), and the stakes, it’s kind of been one of the best seasons that I’ve ever seen

I mean the intriguing narratives aren’t really being boosted rn. What the Celtics are doing right now is absurd. The race to avoid the play-in in the west is incredibly fun. Rockets have 11 straight wins powered by their young stars.

But I mainly watch Clippers/Thunder/Magic. Great culture, fun playing styles, and good coaching across the board. League pass ftmfw.

Also, Lakers games are blacked out so I don’t have to watch that crap

The Rockets (who no one talks about) are a game back of the Warriors (who everyone always talks about) for the last play-in spot. The Rockets could finally end the Warriors dynasty.

They play each other on Thursday. But another team will be crucial here. The Mavs play the Warriors and Rockets twice each in their next 5 games between this Sunday and next Sunday.

So the Mavs could mess with either or both teams’ chances or the Warriors and Rockets’ push for the play-in could drag the Mavs into the play-in.

Back