• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023-24 NBA Season Thread - Celtics advance, T-Wolves survive for now

if you were picking a starting five from among the entire league, but you could only pick guys that wear a t-shirt under their jersey, who is your five?

FWIW, here were the 11 players selected ahead of Halliburton in the 2020 NBA draft:

1. Anthony Edwards
2. James Wiseman
3. LaMelo Ball
4. Patrick Williams
5. Isaac Okoro
6. Onyeka Okongwu
7. Killian Hayes
8. Obi Toppin
9. Deni Avdija
10. Jalen Smith
11. Devin Vassell

Several of those teams didn’t pick a PG because they already had one. One flat out picked the wrong PG.

Funny that Hali is playing with two guys picked ahead of him.

that covid draft was a weird one
Several good players in the rest of the draft. Nesmith (a 4th Pacer from the 2020 lottery), Cole Anthony, Isaiah Stewart, Maxey, Quickley, Jaden McDaniels, and Desmond Bane at the end of the first is probably the 4th best player in that draft. The 2nd round includes Xavier Tillman, Tre Jones (the Spurs had no problem taking a PG in the 2nd :smh), Isaiah Joe, and KJ Martin. It's a pretty deep draft with guys who should have pretty long careers.

So what are your thoughts about the IST format? I think the tournament worked as a whole. Can't say I kept up with the standings, but I think I would have paid more attention if my team was in it.

I certainly think they'll move to either a single-elimination or double-elimination qualifying format after expanding to 32.

One format could include seeding teams 1-16 within each conference based on the first 20 games of the season. This would increase the attention on early season games. Then move to a 2-week single-elimination tournament with 3 consolation games in the first two weeks of December with games at the higher seed. The schedule could be something like this:

Monday - Round of 32 1st round games: 4 EC, 4 WC (Game 1)
Tuesday - Round of 32 1st round games: 4 EC, 4 WC (Game 1)
Wednesday - Four consolation games between Monday 1st round losers (Game 2)
Thursday - Four consolation games between Tuesday 1st round losers (Game 2)
Friday - Round of 16 2nd round games: 4 EC, 4 WC (Game 2)
Saturday - Eight games between 1st round losers (Game 3 - last game for 1st round losers) (going up against CFB Conference Championship day)
Sunday - No games (vs. NFL)
Monday - Four games between 2nd round losers (Game 3 - last game for 2nd round losers)
Tuesday - Quarterfinals: 2 EC, 2 WC (games at 7, 8, 9:30, and 10:30)
Thursday - Semifinals: 1 EC, 1 WC
Friday - Full slate of games with four semifinal teams taken out and rescheduled
Saturday - Finals
Sunday - No games (vs. NFL)

More elimination games needed imo. Group play was fine but a bit confusing to the layman, didn’t really benefit as much from the tournament vibes until knockout rounds. But overall it worked. Kill the colored courts with fire.

group play wasn’t too confusing for me but the math made it such that several teams were eliminated pretty quickly

Two of those teams have #1 picks. By a quick count, the three teams have 14 lottery picks from the last several drafts including 7 on the Pistons.

The Wizards should be this bad. The Spurs and Pistons should not.

lakers winning is kind of lame, but I was just sitting around thinking how crazy it is that LeBron is still at this level after so long

I am most impressed that LeBron James said to himself, "I've had a great career, but I don't have the first ever NBA Cup win. I am going to do that. And MVP of the tourney. And I'm going to impress upon my team how important it is and they will all buy in."

In hindsight we should have known the in season tourney would stoke his competitive fire.

In hindsight we should have known the in season tourney would stoke his competitive fire.

Was listening to sports radio the other day as they were discussing what MJs approach to the in season tournament would’ve been. On one hand, all he cared about was NBA championships. On the other hand, he was competitive about everything, particularly on a basketball court. (Unless he owned the team in question.)

There was no question about MJ’s competitiveness. He played 82 games most seasons even his last. He did three Slam Dunk Contests. He lost. Tried again and won. Then he defended his title. He’d go all out for this IST like he did every game.

There was a question about Lebron but I think old Lebron is going after every opportunity and not taking anything for granted.

Back