• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2024 NFL Thread. One more draft day. Which Teams Find Winning "Lottery Tickets? "

It'll make kickoffs relevant again with fewer injuries as a result, so it's a win from that perspective. And you can still onside kick in the waning moments of a game. Only downside is you can't have any Pat McAfee surprise onside kicks. I think it's a good rule change, but I'm wondering if it'll result in too many TD returns. Which is probably why it's a 1 year experiment.

I'm also interested to see what becomes of the hip drop tackle. I'm doubting you see many flags because it'll be hard to enforce in real time - football reffing is already really difficult. I don't think I could recognize 1 in real time. But what you will see is a bunch of fines resulting from such tackles. Rugby banned it, so probably a good change once defensive players learn what they can't do.
Hip drop tackle made illegal yesterday.

are you allowed to try to punt it through the end zone?
The kickoff rules are super-convoluted. To encourage returns, a touchback that goes through the endzone or lands in endzone will be placed at the receiving team's 30 yard-line. A kick-off that land in the field of play, but rolls into the endzone and is not returned will be place at the receiving teams 20. There are also rules about how the receiving team's players will be positioned.

seems like the hip drop rule will follow in the footsteps of the catch rule and the brief experiment with review on pass interference where adding a rule will only make things less clear

seems like the hip drop rule will follow in the footsteps of the catch rule and the brief experiment with review on pass interference where adding a rule will only make things less clear

I predict that the outcome of at least two games will be determined by called (or should have been called) hip drop tackles.

Every time I hear "XFL kickoff rules" I think of the scramble to determine who receives the opening kickoff in the old XFL.
Yeah.

This new kickoff seems fine. It will be fascinating to see teams adjust on the fly throughout the season. Seems like it will juice returns and perhaps add some technique to kicking.

It will be good for fans and advertisers if people are paying attention to the kickoffs.

In other news, the NFL will have games on Christmas Day even though it's on a Wednesday. Adam Silver has to be pissed. The NBA has owned Christmas Day for decades.

Back