• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurs Thread - Wemby for ROY and DPOY?

Vassell is really starting to come into his own. Slow start but looks like he’s gonna finish strong.
Agreed. I was very skeptical that he'd be part of the future as a pure SG without elite size, athleticism, or playmaking ability. But he's become a confident shotmaker who will be very dangerous on a more talented team where he could be the 3rd or 4th option.

Adam, do you live in SA?

Nope. Came here with the wife for her work conference. Ive seen the Spurs but always on the road. Never here before. It was way up towards the top of my bucket list (if only it was a playoff game). The crowd was amazing the entire game. So freaking loud in the 4th. I also got to see the Admiral when he came onto the court. That was special.

Nice! My wife has a conference there every other year. Unfortunately it’s during the rodeo road trip.

Nice! My wife has a conference there every other year. Unfortunately it’s during the rodeo road trip.
Im pretty sure I gained at least ten pounds this week. The food scene is for real. Its worth making the trip back. Maybe if the have a back to back home stand

Yeah. When you go to SA, you realize Chuck's not joking about those big women in SA. But you can't blame them either.

I went several years ago for a conference that happened to be during Fiesta, so there was a lot of buzz around the city. The first place we went had these amazing fresh made flour tortillas that were unreal. We had first round Game 7 tickets, but the Spurs won in 6 so we didn't get to see them play.

I have a conference in New Orleans when the Pels host the Spurs, so looking forward to that.

One more note about Vassell. He had 9 assists last night, a career-high he set against the Sixers in the Embiid 70-point game. His assists have increased every month. He averaged 3.0 asts in Nov, 3.2 in Dec, 4.5 asts in Jan, and 4.9 asts in Feb. He becomes that much more dangerous if he's a legit playmaker. I don't think he's the vet PG this franchise needs, but he could be more versatile and serve as a combo/backup PG.

By the way, he had 22.5 pts, 4.3 reb, 4.9 ast this month on 49/43/78 shooting. That's probably the best month of his career.

You really can see vessel's growth this year.

The entire team as well. Their ceiling this year is last night against okc. That's amazing.

It's worth wondering how much better this team would be if every player started the season playing their true position and Vic was playing 32 minutes a game including the entire 4th quarter. But I still wouldn't trust Vic's future to this roster. I'd want to see several more nights like this. And even still they should get a vet PG and draft a PG and big wing or two big wings.

Barlow gets a standard contract.
Spurs sign new two-way players.

Agreed.

Another big problem with the ridiculous lineup to start the season is that they extended Collins as a starter to “protect” Wemby and allow him to play PF. Now they’re stuck paying him decent starter money to play fewer than 20 minutes a game when Wemby is off the court. I’d rather see them play Barlow and Bassey those 15-20 backup C minutes for much cheaper or draft a big wing who play those minutes. It would be a luxury to man the C position with a rookie deal and near vet min contracts. Then they could pay a vet PG.

Just listened to a Spurs podcast that shed more light on Vassell’s development. Basically he attacks the basket more now and shooting fewer midrange and threes. He has more attempts at the rim than threes. His percentages have gone up as a result.

Agree that this isn't the "wemby makes a run" roster. A pg that pushes trey to the bench, a wing for 3s&D (cissoco??), shooting.

Yep. On the bright side, I think the Spurs are one good offseason away from effectively building around Wemby especially if they get the Raptors pick to give them two picks in the top 7 or 8.

Trade for a vet PG. Draft a PG and big wing or two big wings. If those hit, they’re closer to a lineup of:

PG: Vet and two of Tre, rookie, Wesley
SG: Vassell (seems like he’s locked in there) and Keldon and Champagnie. They’re traditional SFs but can play the 2 or 3 in this era
SF: Sochan, Cissoko, rookie (Sochan plays smaller than I hope but that’s fine)
PF: Rookie big wings (I don’t think there’s a great modern 4 on this roster)
C: Wemby, Barlow, Bassey

OKC may be a good immediate model for the Spurs. OKC has been successful with a pretty small lineup plus Chet. They do need size and will probably draft it.

The Raptors beat the Hornets tonight. Next season, we need to root hard for the Hornets to do the impossible and make the playoffs. Next season is the last season that lottery protected first rounder could convey. Otherwise it turns into 2026 and 2027 second round picks. Of course, root hard against the Hawks for the next three seasons unless the Spurs trade those picks back to the Hawks for Trae.

Great Spurs win against the Pacers tonight. Big Vic with 31/12/6/1/6. Branham started for Champagnie and had 18/4/6.

Last edited:
Another cool stat.

Some good info.

No Vic tonight against the Kings.

The Spurs get their first win without Wemby (1-7) and did it without Vassell too.

They shot 17-33 from deep. Barlow played 30 minutes off the bench and had 19/8/4. Brahnam had his fourth straight game with 18+ points. Wesley had 9 assists. Champagnie had 17/7/5. There's a lot to be happy about with that win even though it came against the Warriors without Steph.

Back