• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurs Thread - Wemby for ROY and DPOY?

Nice win vs. the Nets in Austin. Wemby had 33/16/7 with 7 blks. Vassell with 25 pts, 8 assists and Keldon with 24.

Last edited:
Just starting the nets game late and 10 min in, dude is working his ass off trying to score under the basket vs wemby (queue key stone cops music). It's pretty good comedy with the "which way do i go?" Line followed up with "not THAT way!"

Nice win vs. the Nets in Austin. Wemby had 33/16/7 with 7 blks. Vassell with 25 pts, 8 assists and Keldon with 24.

e9d124899cf408c20295562de6d3ef0d.jpg

Wemby is an amazing player. But then you see him against Jokic, Embiid, Sabonis, or even Sengun and you realize how deep the league is and how far Wemby still has to go.

He’s averaging 4.5 asts and 4.1 blks on Feb/March.

I think he’ll hit 5+ asts for the rest of his career with better teammates. 5+ blks is quite possible.

The odds of him getting a quad double in the next 15 months are pretty high.

Additional info. Wemby has 5+ blocks in 17 of the 41 games he’s started at C. He’s averaged 3.7 blks in those games.

Listening to a Spurs podcast now. Blake Wesley is the 5th fastest player in the NBA on offense at 4.7 mph.

Last edited:
More context for the stat above. Among players who have played 20+ games, Wesley is the 4th fastest player in the league.

Additional info. Wemby has 5+ blocks in 17 of the 41 games he’s started at C. He’s averaged 3.7 blks in those games.

Listening to a Spurs podcast now. Blake Wesley is the 5th fastest player in the NBA on offense at 4.7 mph.
Wesley has a burst of speed. Love it. So many fun pieces on this team but I have no idea how it will all work out.

Wesley has a burst of speed. Love it. So many fun pieces on this team but I have no idea how it will all work out.
He really does but his mind needs to catch up to his body. The floor awareness just isnt there yet for significant minutes. Of course experience is the only thing to help that

The only player I'm confident will be on this roster next year is Wemby. I'm not convinced these guys fit around Wemby.

The roster is full of replacement-level guys with some upside. Vassell, Johnson, and Sochan could be nice starters/rotation pieces on a good team. Collins could be too in the right situation. Some teams might even want Champagnie, Branham, or Wesley as a throw-in if they liked them going into the draft.

They should all be tradeable because they could easily be replaced. The Spurs have enough trade assets and players that they should be able to get two players better than anyone else on the roster besides Wemby and still have at least 3 first rounders over the next 5 drafts. Pair that with a good draft, development from players with little to no trade value like Barlow and Cissoko, and good free agents, and this team could be much better next season.

Agreed.

If I'm choosing who is back next year my top choices (after the obvious one) in no particular order.

Vassel - he has enough offensive talent and creativity that his mediocre defense can be covered by how good wemby and sochan are there. Add a talented pg defender like a D Murray and look out.
Jones - love to have his talent as the back up.
Barlow
Cissoco
Sochan - bit of a unique mix talent and skill. Interested to see where that goes.
Branham
Wesley

I've seen enough to be intrigued by the others. In now way am I thinking about this in how the pieces fit, but with the right additions it seems a solid start. Of course other teams might have seen the same things I like and value them more in a trade. It just feels like many of the pieces are there (for a good, well rounded team), it's just a matter of figuring out which upgrade is worth losing a different talent.

Good stat.

The Spurs have 11 first round picks over the next 7 drafts. I think they could turn 6 of those, some seconds, and players into two legit star and 2nd/3rd options to put with Wemby. If they can keep Vassell, Keldon, or Sochan, get development from two or three others, and get some good draft picks, that should be a play-in contender.

Great win over the Suns without Wemby. Sochan hit the game winning 3 and had 26 and 18. If the Suns end up in the play-in, they can point to losing three games to the lowly Spurs.

Three straight wins over the Suns, Jazz, and Knicks.

Wemby had 40/20/7/2/1 tonight.

Last edited:
Murray wants back on the train. I'd take it. Improved shooting and his size and versatility would be a good fit. The defense with wemby, sochan, and murray would be absurd.

I don’t want to give the Hawks back their picks though. The Spurs’ only chance at Cooper Flagg is that Hawks 2025 pick. And the 2026 swap could be high too if the Hawks rebuild without those picks.

There’s got to be a veteran PG who will be more available than we think.

The Spurs have 54.2% or 68% chances of getting the Raptors pick, most likely 7 or 8. If so, I see them packaging the Raptors pick with the 2025 Bulls top 10 protected pick and a future (post-2027) Spurs pick to get a good PG. Then I maybe I could see them using the 2027 Hawks and another future first plus seconds on a wing. The Spurs didn’t really care about the draft during the prime dynasty years. And draft and stash isn’t really a thing nowadays. So I think they’ll leverage the future assuming the franchise will be picking in the 20s going forward.

Last edited:
Wemby so good they can hang with GS with him, Champagnie, Branham, Osman, and Tre on the court.

I don’t want to give the Hawks back their picks though. The Spurs’ only chance at Cooper Flagg is that Hawks 2025 pick. And the 2026 swap could be high too if the Hawks rebuild without those picks.

There’s got to be a veteran PG who will be more available than we think.

The Spurs have 54.2% or 68% chances of getting the Raptors pick, most likely 7 or 8. If so, I see them packaging the Raptors pick with the 2025 Bulls top 10 protected pick and a future (post-2027) Spurs pick to get a good PG. Then I maybe I could see them using the 2027 Hawks and another future first plus seconds on a wing. The Spurs didn’t really care about the draft during the prime dynasty years. And draft and stash isn’t really a thing nowadays. So I think they’ll leverage the future assuming the franchise will be picking in the 20s going forward.
Good Lord you’re gonna put the health of the franchise in the hands of yet ANOTHER potential honk from dook? Damn Filipowski was supposed to be that dude and Burns abused him.

Never ever draft a dook guy

Back