• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurs Thread - Wemby for ROY and DPOY?

Matas + Wemby would be fun to watch

What’s your take on G-League Ignite? Did it fail to prepare players for the league? Are you glad they’re ending it? What do you think about Matas, Holland, and the other 2024 prospects?

Watcher, Flagg seems much closer to a Zion or Paolo than a Filipowski.

Good Lord you’re gonna put the health of the franchise in the hands of yet ANOTHER potential honk from dook? Damn Filipowski was supposed to be that dude and Burns abused him.

Never ever draft a dook guy
This is a valid point of consideration.

Vassell and Sochan out for the season.

Barlow and Keldon are out Tuesday vs. the Nuggets.

I hope they finally give Cissoko some run.

Addition: Just saw that Sochan may miss the Olympics. Keeping that in mind, I wouldn't be shocked if they sat Wemby soon. This Olympics will be huge for him and maybe the franchise. He may want to hit some metrics like 1500 points (1397), 700 rebounds (691), 250 asts (240), 250 blks (226), 100 steals (85), and 125 threes (113) and he's a few games away.

Last edited:
What’s your take on G-League Ignite? Did it fail to prepare players for the league? Are you glad they’re ending it? What do you think about Matas, Holland, and the other 2024 prospects?

Watcher, Flagg seems much closer to a Zion or Paolo than a Filipowski.

Sorry I missed this the first time around.

I have no inside information, but they were pretty bad for the entire year. Idk how sustainable it is to pay guys to lose (because the G-League is always pretty talented, and it’d take a miracle to have a good Ignite team). It also didn’t really generate any excitement despite having a lot of elite players.

Matas is my favorite player in the draft. He’s really savvy on offense and has a deep bag of tricks. I think he’s Gordon Hayward with more interest in playing defense and he may grow more yet.

I don’t know much about Hunter.

Sarr is kind of like a more mobile Clingan, but has some more of a ceiling too imo

Risacher is super interesting. I think he’s probably got similar upside to Cade?

I'm starting to see Risacher at the top of more mock drafts. I feel good about the Spurs getting one of Risacher, Sarr, or Buzelis with their pick. The more I think about it, there's more utility in taking a big wing in a weak draft rather than a PG. But if they get the Raptors pick, then they can take two big wings or a wing and PG.

Wemby's Nike brand logo.

Yo @MHBDemon! Sidy Cissoko career high 10 points!

Wemby over his last 11 games: 24.6 pts, 12.4 reb, 6 ast, 1 stl, 4.7 blks.

Last edited:
Oh yeah. Forgot to post that. That was sick.

Wemby was one of maybe 3-4 players on the court tonight guaranteed to be on an NBA roster next season. But he was out there playing hard in his 70th game of the season. He gets Chet and Jokic tomorrow and Friday before finishing with the Pistons on Sunday.

Cissoko deserves minutes.

Yeah. The word coming out now is the Spurs won't make major moves and will "focus on the 2025 draft."

But it seems like the Spurs obviously need to package a first round pick, some seconds, and Keldon Johnson for an wing upgrade over Champagnie in the starting lineup which would allow Cissoko and Champagnie to split Keldon's 25-30 mpg off the bench.

Cissoko had 14/5/3 on 4-7 fg in 28 min vs. the Thunder. He had 10/3/2/1/1 on 4-6 fg in 21 min vs. the Grizzlies. I look forward to seeing him play minutes with Wemby tonight. Cissoko may be the wing playmaker he needs.

As far as 2025, I get why the Spurs are hesitant to make any major moves until after the 2025 draft. They have potentially 6 first-round picks in the 2024 and 2025 drafts plus 4 second-rounders:

1st - Top 6 protected (Raptors - Poeltl trade) (>50% chance to be #7 or #8 pick)
1st - Spurs
2nd - Spurs (top 50 protected) (50-54 goes to Suns, 55+ to Celtics)

1st - Top 10 protected (Bulls) (Bulls are at 11 this season)
1st - Top 14 protected (Hornets - Murray trade) (more likely to become 2026 and 2027 2nd rounders)
1st - Hawks (Hawks are at 10 this season)
1st - Spurs
2nd - Bulls
2nd - Raptors
2nd - Spurs

The Spurs can do a lot to shape the roster through the draft and give themselves a shot at Cooper Flagg. But they can't just let Wemby flounder for two more seasons. He's way too good. The Bulls or Hornets pick, post-2027 Spurs picks, Keldon and Collins should be available for trade to upgrade the roster. This should be the core of the 2024-25 roster.

PG: Jones, Wesley, 2024 pick
SG: Vassell, Branham
SF: 2024 offseason trade, Champagnie, Cissoko
PF: Sochan, Mamu, 2024 pick
C: Wemby, Bassey, Barlow, 2024 2nd rounder or two-way player

That's not a playoff team, but possibly a play-in contender similar to where the Rockets were.

Last edited:
It could be a playoff team if by some miracle a vet pg comes in and plays at a high level.
I agree I absolutely HATE wasting Wemby, when it could lead to him getting frustrated and leaving after his rookie deal is up. The Spurs need to show him they are committed to winning now, while still setting up 2025 to get a top flight rookie.

I would be on board with this. So many of their wings are not distinguishing themselves and are largely interchangeable.

Yeah. The word coming out now is the Spurs won't make major moves and will "focus on the 2025 draft."

But it seems like the Spurs obviously need to package a first round pick, some seconds, and Keldon Johnson for an wing upgrade over Champagnie in the starting lineup which would allow Cissoko and Champagnie to split Keldon's 25-30 mpg off the bench.

Cissoko had 14/5/3 on 4-7 fg in 28 min vs. the Thunder. He had 10/3/2/1/1 on 4-6 fg in 21 min vs. the Grizzlies. I look forward to seeing him play minutes with Wemby tonight. Cissoko may be the wing playmaker he needs.

As far as 2025, I get why the Spurs are hesitant to make any major moves until after the 2025 draft. They have potentially 6 first-round picks in the 2024 and 2025 drafts plus 4 second-rounders:

1st - Top 6 protected (Raptors - Poeltl trade) (>50% chance to be #7 or #8 pick)
1st - Spurs
2nd - Spurs (top 50 protected) (50-54 goes to Suns, 55+ to Celtics)

1st - Top 10 protected (Bulls) (Bulls are at 11 this season)
1st - Top 14 protected (Hornets - Murray trade) (more likely to become 2026 and 2027 2nd rounders)
1st - Hawks (Hawks are at 10 this season)
1st - Spurs
2nd - Bulls
2nd - Raptors
2nd - Spurs

The Spurs can do a lot to shape the roster through the draft and give themselves a shot at Cooper Flagg. But they can't just let Wemby flounder for two more seasons. He's way too good. The Bulls or Hornets pick, post-2027 Spurs picks, Keldon and Collins should be available for trade to upgrade the roster. This should be the core of the 2024-25 roster.

PG: Jones, Wesley, 2024 pick
SG: Vassell, Branham
SF: 2024 offseason trade, Champagnie, Cissoko, 2024 pick
PF: Sochan, Mamu
C: Wemby, Bassey, Barlow, 2024 2nd rounder or two-way player

That's not a playoff team, but possibly a play-in contender similar to where the Rockets were.

This is cool - will read thoroughly.

It's interesting Metu looks pretty good lately. Spurs identify guys, who ride the pine for the most part, then go elsewhere and can play. Eubanks comes to mind, too.

That didn't used to be a thing. The Spurs would identify guys who would be solid players then they'd flounder elsewhere. I started noticing with Kyle Anderson that the Spurs would let players who got better or at least didn't look too bad elsewhere. Others include Bertands, Walker IV, and even Luka Samanic who has generally been regarded by the fans as the biggest recent Spurs bust (not including Primo of course). Samanic at least looks like a decent end of the bench guy for the Jazz.

Wemby vs. Jokic right now.

Spurs starting Jones, Wesley, Champagnie, Mamu, and Wemby vs. the full squad Nuggets. We'll see if they can keep it close. I love how Wemby isn't packing it in until he faces Jokic again.

The Spurs beat the Nuggets on a Devonte' Graham game winner followed by a 5 sec call on the Nuggets with 0.9 to go. Wow. What a game. Wemby had 34/12/5. Mamu had 21/12.

The Spurs held Jokic to 22/6/12 on 9-13 fg. The Nuggets needed to win to get the #1 seed. Incredible.

I'm thinking Mamu and Graham should have been playing more this season. Their play is why I think the Spurs need to trade the middle of the roster and develop the bottom of the roster. Invest in Mamu. Keep Graham if he didn't boost his trade value enough the lats two weeks.

Back