• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Wake Campus Development Thread

This has been a constant source of frustration for me personally. The area sucks. The situation is complicated. Wake feels it already does too much in WS is the largest employer etc. and is insistent that it will not take on more share. Investors that look at the area have had two issues, 1) wake is not big enough to sustain things and 2) the demographics of the area does not have the income level required for investment, and also Wake wants its money out of their ownership.

I think how this is done is key for wake and athletics in particular.

I have high hopes for this project. There are a lot of similarities with Carter’s redevelopment of the Summerfield neighborhood (the area surrounding old Turner Field) in conjunction with Georgia State in Atlanta and they have done a great job. Other than Braves games, that’s a part of town I never ventured to the first 15+ years I lived in Atlanta and now there are a bunch of great restaurants, a brewery, a Publix, and a bunch of housing (mostly, but not totally, geared toward students), along with the GSU football stadium (old Turner Field) and new basketball/multi use facility.

Looks like the Marriott Courtyard property isn't included in this project.

The Wake administration announced this week a Near-Term Central Space Planning Project

The main part of the plan is to move a lot of employees off campus, many of whom will move to a new WFU building on Baity St.

Among the highlights of the plan are to:

• Repurpose the Benson Center into an academic building
  • Demolish Tribble Hall and build a new student center
  • Repurpose Alumni Hall (behind Worrell) as an academic building
  • Renovate Scales (too bad they are not planning to demolish it)
  • Do nothing about the shortage of study space in ZSR Library

The Wake administration announced this week a Near-Term Central Space Planning Project

The main part of the plan is to move a lot of employees off campus, many of whom will move to a new WFU building on Baity St.

Demolish Tribble?!?
1712955121992.gif

Wow. Taking down a building that is less than 100 years old on a college campus is very surprising. I wonder if the replacement will maintain the symmetry of building facades facing Manchester court.

Just because Wake changes Benson from a student center to an academic building doesn't mean CaptRenault will think it's an academic building.

1. A truly useful student center with dining etc. to serve the current population (and to allow for potential growth) will require a larger piece of land than Tribble currently occupies. So they'll have to build on Mag Quad, which gives me a sad.
2. Using the land where Scales is to build a "state of the art" student center makes more sense.
3. This whole idea of having to have the student center by the freshman dorms to ease them into campus life is ludicrous. Quit coddling our youth and creating even more snowflakes.

3. This whole idea of having to have the student center by the freshman dorms to ease them into campus life is ludicrous. Quit coddling our youth and creating even more snowflakes.
🙄

It makes sense to give people new to campus a convenient place to hang out and socialize and participate in activities so they can find their group of people. Fewer upperclassmen will be likely to use those buildings because they have already found their friend groups. It’s not coddling or making them snowflakes, it’s just putting services where they are needed the most. It’s efficient.

🙄

It makes sense to give people new to campus a convenient place to hang out and socialize and participate in activities so they can find their group of people. Fewer upperclassmen will be likely to use those buildings because they have already found their friend groups. It’s not coddling or making them snowflakes, it’s just putting services where they are needed the most. It’s efficient.
In the days before there was a student center on campus, I wonder how freshmen found their friend groups...🤔 Oh yeah, through interaction with their hallmates/suitemates and people in their classes.

A true student center provides space & activities for all students and would encourage upper & lower classes to use them.

I’m sure the people who run student activities would love for upperclassmen to come and participate at the same rate as freshmen but come on. They have Greek life, internships, off campus parties, grad school applications, etc. It’s unreasonable to make huge capital budget plans based on a hope for upperclassmen choosing student center activities over frat parties.

Also it’s silly to say “why don’t they just do what we did” when they grew up and came of age in a completely different time and place than we did.

Isn't it also unreasonable to make huge capital budget plans based on a hope that freshmen will actually use the facility? It's a crapshoot either way.

Back