• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Tennis 2023-2024: Men #7, Women #37

yeah how is this allowed? i get the years of eligibility bc of the covid year but not for someone who was a professional

Dang, the Wake men just had one of the biggest pick ups in years. Adrian Boitan, who played 4 years at Baylor and played the last year as a pro just signed with the Wake men. Huge addition.
I get that the NCAA has changed the rules and relaxed eligibility standards, but this guy played four years, went pro and now he can play in college again?

John Collins has two years of eligibility left, can he return to WF play another couple of years after his NBA contract runs out?

Why doesn't WF tennis try to land Carlos Alcaraz for a couple of months this Spring?

I get that the NCAA has changed the rules and relaxed eligibility standards, but this guy played four years, went pro and now he can play in college again?

John Collins has two years of eligibility left, can he return to WF play another couple of years after his NBA contract runs out?

Why doesn't WF tennis try to land Carlos Alcaraz for a couple of months this Spring?
A few things:

- I think Boitan actually has 2 years of eligibility left.
-Tennis is bit different than basketball, football, etc. because the players don't have contracts. So many college players compete in pro tournaments, even during the school year, and are able to keep their winnings, up to a certain amount (to cover travel, hotels, etc. plus another $10,000 per year).
-The poor introduction and execution of the NIL era has basically created a free-for-all in college sports. Who could have ever predicted this (note sarcasm)?
-Of all the Wake Forest coaches, Bresky is the one most likely to push the boundaries between eligible and ineligible athletes. Remember 23 year old "freshman" Bar Botzer? Or freshman Borna Gojo showing up in January out of the blue? Or Ian Dempster being listed on line-up cards a year after he graduated and exhausted all eligibility? If there was any chance Alcarez had eligibility, Bresky would find it.
-Fans, players, and coaches of other college men's teams hate Wake, which is awesome. Even Dick Vitale complained about the Wake men's team.

Looks like he earned just under $22K in 2023 so far.

Do we have other top talent to go with this new guy?

Are we as talented, or close to as talented as the Petros, Gojo squad that won if all?

It’s a great signing . Makes sense for all parties . Super player who hasn’t had tremendous success as yet on the tour and as such hasn’t made enough money to disqualify himself from more college tennis. Great way for him to reboot and hopefully regain confidence I bet we see more of this in general in as much as players on challenger tour and
Futures often make so little .

A few things:

- I think Boitan actually has 2 years of eligibility left.
-Tennis is bit different than basketball, football, etc. because the players don't have contracts. So many college players compete in pro tournaments, even during the school year, and are able to keep their winnings, up to a certain amount (to cover travel, hotels, etc. plus another $10,000 per year).
-The poor introduction and execution of the NIL era has basically created a free-for-all in college sports. Who could have ever predicted this (note sarcasm)?
-Of all the Wake Forest coaches, Bresky is the one most likely to push the boundaries between eligible and ineligible athletes. Remember 23 year old "freshman" Bar Botzer? Or freshman Borna Gojo showing up in January out of the blue? Or Ian Dempster being listed on line-up cards a year after he graduated and exhausted all eligibility? If there was any chance Alcarez had eligibility, Bresky would find it.
-Fans, players, and coaches of other college men's teams hate Wake, which is awesome. Even Dick Vitale complained about the Wake men's team.
Any idea how long it will take for us to learn if the NCAA clears Boitan to play? Will make an enormous difference in our lineup and expectations

Any idea how long it will take for us to learn if the NCAA clears Boitan to play? Will make an enormous difference in our lineup and expectations
No idea. I wouldn't be surprised if he's cleared by day 1. I also wouldn't be surprised if it takes the NCAA 3 months to clear him.

Saw the schedule release today. Very few home matches, going on the road a ton to good competition in the non-conference. Interesting choice with a new team.

Checked the roster and don’t see Boitan yet. I guess it’ll just be when classes start?

Good weekend. Weren’t the hosts of the ITA qualifiers this year, but went to Carolina and came out with the ticket to nationals by beating Florida and Illinois.
Yep, great weekend for the men at UNC. Won several clutch matches. We were down in the second set of several singles matches today and came back to beat Illinois.

The women had a rough weekend, losing two matches, though both were to likely tournament teams.

Back