• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction Thread: +Ituka/Carr/Appleby/Bradford

if we don't see major roster changes, i would make a BOARD BET that we do see a lot of three guard lineups with those three.

not to dismiss the obvious faults with the three guard lineup -- why i think its critical we add some rim presence and rebounding. jamaal levy would be awesome in today's game as a versatile big or alongside a stretch 5.

I thought positional designations didn't mean squat? Why are you calling a 6'10"+ guy a 5??

if we don't see major roster changes, i would make a BOARD BET that we do see a lot of three guard lineups with those three.

not to dismiss the obvious faults with the three guard lineup -- why i think its critical we add some rim presence and rebounding. jamaal levy would be awesome in today's game as a versatile big or alongside a stretch 5.

I just think you'll see Monsanto (and Hildreth) get most of the minutes at the 3 with Ituka/Appleby/Williamson mainly at the 1/2.

But, as you mention, the roster could change. I hope we get a wing that can play the 3/4.

Also, as much as I'd like to disagree with someone who called me the worst poster on these here boards (despite Cam and that Duke cock-sucking attorney on here...can't remember his name) I agree with AppreciateIt...we will see a lot of three guard lineups next year (unless of course we get two more bigs or a SF-type to finish the class...then maybe that changes the calculus). I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, but I also think you have to have height in the ACC to compete. There's so many more contested shots and you can do a lot on both offense and defense against smaller opponents (obviously). Other teams have gotten by with smaller lineups in other conferences, but the ACC is not the Big East.

I don't see how we can play a lot of 3-guard offense when Monsanto is likely going to play 30+ mpg. Unless you think he's going to play a lot at the 4, which feels like a recipe for disaster (even though he's an elite rebounder).

I thought positional designations didn't mean squat? Why are you calling a 6'10"+ guy a 5??

oversimplifying, but i would argue there are three positions. the 1 (point guard), the 5 (big man) and the wing (2-4). you pretty much need four of your guys to be three point threats, so if you have a wing who can't shoot you probably need a 5 who can (the stretch 5)

I don't see how we can play a lot of 3-guard offense when Monsanto is likely going to play 30+ mpg. Unless you think he's going to play a lot at the 4, which feels like a recipe for disaster (even though he's an elite rebounder).

if we can land a big who can clean the glass (or marsh really steps up), i think that lineup is going to be pretty common for us-- largely bc monsanto should be a plus rebounder as well. agreed it's not ideal, but i think it's the best way to deal with a possible shortcoming with rebounding bigs.

ideally carr turns out to be awesome and can play high leverage minutes but he's not a particularly great rebounder anyway, and i suspect we'd rather have one of the guards on the court than him.

agree with this, and also feel like any top-half ACC team will have the personnel and coaching to abuse a lineup with 3 guys who are 6'1" and two of them (Daivien and Tyree) are relatively skinny (similar to the way Duke abused Whitt for his lack of physical strength, and teams tried to take advantage of Daivien's height; would be easier to do so if there are 3 Daiviens out there)

then again, Forbes obviously knows how big these guys are, and he presumably has led them to believe they will play (and Daivien played 30 mpg last year). If all 3 of those guys play 30 mpg that is of course at least 10 minutes with all 3 on the floor

mainly it seems to me that Forbes recruiting both of those guys suggests he isn't 100% that DW will return and doesn't want to be caught without enough capable guards

oversimplifying, but i would argue there are three positions. the 1 (point guard), the 5 (big man) and the wing (2-4). you pretty much need four of your guys to be three point threats, so if you have a wing who can't shoot you probably need a 5 who can (the stretch 5)

I was being snarky and kidding.

Mostly I agree that the 2-4 traditional roles are very much cobbled together in today's game with players having varying heights/weights. We are set at the 1 and I have faith that Marsh and another portal transfer can anchor us at the 5. Reason for optimism is the following, IMHO...

1) We now have four (assuming Daivien comes back) legit high caliber three point shooters.
2) Forbes has 2-3 scholarships to give out and I'd assume he's going to try and bring in at least two big guys and a rangy 6'8" wing. He's clearly good at grabbing players through the portal.
3) Our offense looks like it will be potent again. I think we will improve our defensive issues from last season with the new squad. I love Alondes and Daivien, but they played some terrible defense for long stretches of the season.
4) Marsh is going to average a double-double this season. I truly believe this. He's very good...just needs some PT and a little confidence.

I think Miami showed last year you can be effective with a smaller, guard-oriented line-up. Not that they didn't have bigs they could put in, but they ran a lot of small ball offense. That said, McGusty/Moore/Miller/Wong were pretty good players and I am not saying that our guards will be of the same caliber (but I hope so and won't rule it out). But it can be done.

I think Miami showed last year you can be effective with a smaller, guard-oriented line-up. Not that they didn't have bigs they could put in, but they ran a lot of small ball offense. That said, McGusty/Moore/Miller/Wong were pretty good players and I am not saying that our guards will be of the same caliber (but I hope so and won't rule it out). But it can be done.

McGusty is 6-5, 190
Miller is 6-7, 202
Wong 6-3, 185

Daivien is listed at 6-1, 180
Tyree 6-1, 163
Jao 6-1, 196

Man Man started at a juco, no?

but graduated from OU. because he was a college graduate, my understanding is the juco thing does not matter at all. An undergrad transfer would be more difficult because WF would not accept his juco credits. (I don't make the rules...)

I think it’s fucking awesome that Manman started out at juco and ended up as an all acc academic award winner at wake. I love that so much.

Back