• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '22-'23 Roster Construction Thread: +Ituka/Carr/Appleby/Bradford

Nice to hear him talk about the program again, little reminder of how he is just all over freaking everything. The Europe trip, or really the previously planned trip that Putin squashed, was pretty incredible. That's the kind of stuff that can make programs and teams truly special.

Tidbit about Manman opting for the two-way over going in the last few picks was cool. Also Keller at 235 out of high school and impressing was good to hear. Gonna be a very interesting year.

Nice to hear him talk about the program again, little reminder of how he is just all over freaking everything. The Europe trip, or really the previously planned trip that Putin squashed, was pretty incredible. That's the kind of stuff that can make programs and teams truly special.

Tidbit about Manman opting for the two-way over going in the last few picks was cool. Also Keller at 235 out of high school and impressing was good to hear. Gonna be a very interesting year.

There are some good articles written when the Heat and Bucks had their second round picks vacated explaining how it would be better for two players to negotiate their own deal rather than get drafted. There are some people who think the draft should only be one round.

I know Forbes said no Klintman on the trip. Perhaps they can find a few minutes for at least a howdy and shake with him.

I learned that I want in on the WF bball conditioning program…

Great Forbes quotes:

I don't know about you guys but we play with our shoes on, so we measure (height) with shoes on. Does not make sense to measure in bare feet.

I don't know if you guys know, but there are two Georgias.

I did not plan this with Vlad Putin, he had other ideas...

The Europe trip is the first week of August. What event is Bobi playing in? Sweden isn't in the FIBA U20 European Championship from July 16-24.

The Europe trip is the first week of August. What event is Bobi playing in? Sweden isn't in the FIBA U20 European Championship from July 16-24.

He is working out with the Swedish national team. The one that will be competing for a spot in the olympics.

Sounded like Klintman's lack of availability for the Euro trip was down more to red tape than the Nat'l events he'll be involved with. He'll be done with those and on campus, just not going back over to Europe.

Forbes specifically referenced the level of competition so I assumed he'd be playing in events. Sweden has Eurobasket qualifiers on Thursday vs. Finland and Sunday vs. Slovenia. Former Piston, Celtic, and Warrior Jonas Jerebko is on the team.

Ah, I think you were looking at Division A in Montenegro. I get it.

Sweden is in Division B in Georgia.

Forbes cited red tape not scheduling conflicts as the reason Bobi can't be on the trip. I'm assuming he either has to be enrolled in classes before going on an international trip which he won't be by missing the summer session, or he has to have taken part in a certain number of practices before playing on an abroad trip or something.

Around the 25 minute mark, Forbes provides info regarding how/why WF and the ACC got hosed in the NCAAT bid process. "Deacs would not have received a bid, even if WF had beaten BC and Miami in the ACCT; WF needed to beat Duke."

Some other tidbits:

- Monsanto has dropped 16 pounds
- Bradford has dropped 19 pounds
- Conditioning has been a big emphasis
- Appleby has been hurt (groin), but is expected back this week
- Keller has looked good in Summer workouts (has shown a good deep stroke)
- The Summer trip was initially slated to include Eastern Europe and Russia, but the Russian invasion of Ukraine caused an adjustment
- Carr and Keller are 6-10; Bradford is 6-11
- Portal wasn't as good this year as last year, but WF did "very well"
- Still looking to see if it makes sense to fill the 13 ship (could be a HS player; could be an international player, but WF won't take someone just to fill a roster spot)

Additional notes I picked up on from the presser:

- Like Appleby, McCray has been hurt the past couple weeks but was expected back yesterday and presumably is back. Coach said he looked great before missing time
- He scheduled aggressively as if Jake was coming back and would have been more comfortable if he was back, but he likes the more difficult and balanced schedule
- The schedule is finalized except for one additional buy game
- The Xavier game has been pushed back again until next year
- Forbes tried for two years to get out of the ugly Jamaica Classic Danny booked us and find a better Thanksgiving week tourney, but to no avail

I'm thrilled that Keller is 6'10" 235, I thought he looked smaller than that. He seems to have a solid motor and definitely a good three point stroke so I'm really hoping he can fill in the position of need behind Carr at the 4 and be productive in doing so. I'm also very high on Bobi Klintman based on what I can gather from my own evaluation and what I've been hearing around the program. It's very refreshing to have a core of guys with multiple years of eligibility left (McCray 3 years, Carr 3 years, Ituka 3 years, Marsh 3 years, Bradford 3 years, Bobi 4 years, Keller 4 years) that we can hopefully watch grow over several years on campus into a formidable and experienced group in a few years' time.

Additional notes I picked up on from the presser:

- Like Appleby, McCray has been hurt the past couple weeks but was expected back yesterday and presumably is back. Coach said he looked great before missing time
- He scheduled aggressively as if Jake was coming back and would have been more comfortable if he was back, but he likes the more difficult and balanced schedule
- The schedule is finalized except for one additional buy game
- The Xavier game has been pushed back again until next year
- Forbes tried for two years to get out of the ugly Jamaica Classic Danny booked us and find a better Thanksgiving week tourney, but to no avail

I'm thrilled that Keller is 6'10" 235, I thought he looked smaller than that. He seems to have a solid motor and definitely a good three point stroke so I'm really hoping he can fill in the position of need behind Carr at the 4 and be productive in doing so. I'm also very high on Bobi Klintman based on what I can gather from my own evaluation and what I've been hearing around the program. It's very refreshing to have a core of guys with multiple years of eligibility left (McCray 3 years, Carr 3 years, Ituka 3 years, Marsh 3 years, Bradford 3 years, Bobi 4 years, Keller 4 years) that we can hopefully watch grow over several years on campus into a formidable and experienced group in a few years' time.
I just listened to this and the NCAA selection thing is just insane. Forbes says point blank that he has very good/strong intel that we still would not have been selected even had we beaten both BC and Miami in the ACC tournament. That's just...wow.

I just listened to this and the NCAA selection thing is just insane. Forbes says point blank that he has very good/strong intel that we still would not have been selected even had we beaten both BC and Miami in the ACC tournament. That's just...wow.

Not sure why this was such a shocking statement - There was a lot of chatter after selection Sunday that beating Duke in Brooklyn would have been required to make the NCAA tourney because wins over BC and Miami still weren't strong enough to vault the other 4 at-large selections ahead of Wake in the pecking order.

The broader point, which is more important, is that in the current environment, big wins are essential to a team's NCAA tourney resume.

This ebbs and flows, but that is what is important right now.

We didn't have any. The UNC victory wasn't Quad 1 until after the NCAAs.

Did we have any quad 1 games besides Duke? LSU maybe?

Back