• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

Forbes is on record - he doesn’t like Q3 games. I don’t expect to see many on the next schedule.

Absolutely. By the end of the year, I thought Pfred was one of our better defenders (positioning wise) and working hard. His biggest problem was he was outmuscled by some of the guys that he had to guard. Our Strength and Conditioning should help rectify that. I think his jump from Freshman to Sophomore is going to be even bigger than Cam's was.

I also agree that Cam left it all on the floor, and doesn't get nearly enough credit for everything he does for the team. I'd take 5 guys that play that hard on any team, in any sport.
Strength and lateral quickness. Hard to say if being out of position was more a function of pinballing around screens or slow reaction, but I think all those things can be fixed.

The focus is obviously on Forbes's success in the portal, but I do think players have developed here. Cam and Carr are the obvious examples.

Forbes is on record - he doesn’t like Q3 games. I don’t expect to see many on the next schedule.
Understand that position, but the strategy of playing multiple Q4 games has not helped build an NCAAT resume. Think that the current scheduling strategy needs to be reconsidered. People bitch about the MWC, but those teams don't play many/any Q4 games, and they win their Q3 games. It helps get teams bids.

Reid, Carr, Cam, Boopie, Parker would be the most impactful returning group we've had in over a decade. Plus Juke. Plus the portal magic Forbes pulls every year. Add a guard and a big and we've got our 8 man rotation. Development by Keller, MMM, or Clark and we go 9 or 10 deep.

We need people to leave to get a guard and a big. I'm gonna assume that Juke Harris can contribute immediately more than any of the freshmen did this year, but Clark hardly played, Monsanto appears to be gone. Maybe Ituka too? MMM played only slightly more and not enough to show what he's capable of. Keller needs to transfer. Marsh too, but if one of them has to stay, I'd rather it be Marsh.

The only good thing about this year is that the starters played so much that any alleviation of their minutes next year is going to be a luxury for those guys and keep them sharper down the stretch. But it's not going to matter if the guys backing them up next year all suck and put them in a hole like they did this year.

We only had what, 6 or 7 Quad 4 games? That doesn't seem out of line. We just didn't have enough Quad 1 games and the ones that we did, we lost.

Understand that position, but the strategy of playing multiple Q4 games has not helped build an NCAAT resume. Think that the current scheduling strategy needs to be reconsidered. People bitch about the MWC, but those teams don't play many/any Q4 games, and they win their Q3 games. It helps get teams bids.
I think you could (and should) see a clemson-esque reaction where we finally take that excuse off the table.

We only had what, 6 or 7 Quad 4 games? That doesn't seem out of line. We just didn't have enough Quad 1 games and the ones that we did, we lost.
It's also really hard to schedule nonconference Q1 games. Especially winnable ones. You either get lucky with your preseason tournament matchups or you don't.

eh - the "good" mwc teams have to have a solid ooc schedule because they get plenty of q4 games in their conference schedules

When this thread was started, the NCAA tourney was still a possibility. So we could look ahead while still thinking there could be some excitement in the next few weeks.

Kudos to all of you for still engaging in this discussion so fresh off of the realization that that dream is over. I cannot fathom already doing a deep dive into next year, knowing that this is all the hope we now have. I don't have the stamina.

It's also really hard to schedule nonconference Q1 games. Especially winnable ones. You either get lucky with your preseason tournament matchups or you don't.
That is a fact. You want to play in a good preseason tournament so they are Q1 games (Wake did that this year, but blew a double digit lead vs Utah preventing the Houston and St. John's games). They will be forced to play a SEC team on the road, so that hopefully ends up a Q1 chance. I'd like to see both the Rutgers and Georgia H&Hs be replaced with quality opponents as well.

WF played 5 OOC games against teams rated #270 or worse, and 4 298 or worse.

Utah State played no one OOC worse than 259.
Boise one worse than 235
New Mexico one worse than 232
Colorado State none worse than 264
UNLV no one worse than 267

These teams do play a game or two against D2 teams that don't count. Agree that the MWC is gaming the system, but.... it works. There is a reason MWC as a group (other than Air Force) avoid playing the crappiest teams. They all get boosts in the analytics. So, WF can continue to play Q4 games, but then, don't whine about analytics when its proven that weighs against you.

I agree 10000000000000%. Just re-iterating what the coach and schedule-maker have said.

MWC teams play games that don't count when they want a break. We should play Winston-Salem State and get a game that doesn't count against the metrics. But, we won't.

Q4 games aren’t all built equal though, which is my problem. A team like Wake is expected to beat a team that is #315 by a lot more than #200 even though both are Q4 home games. There’s just almost no upside to playing a game that hurts your metrics even if you win by 30

Hunter will do the pre-draft evaluations and if it's not clear that he'll go in the 1st round I think the megaboosters will put together a competitive offer to stay.

WF played 5 OOC games against teams rated #270 or worse, and 4 298 or worse.

Utah State played no one OOC worse than 259.
Boise one worse than 235
New Mexico one worse than 232
Colorado State none worse than 264
UNLV no one worse than 267

These teams do play a game or two against D2 teams that don't count. Agree that the MWC is gaming the system, but.... it works. There is a reason MWC as a group (other than Air Force) avoid playing the crappiest teams. They all get boosts in the analytics. So, WF can continue to play Q4 games, but then, don't whine about analytics when its proven that weighs against you.
Our analytics didn't disqualify us this year. All of the stupid losses did.

We can't rely on MTEs and the SEC/ACC Challenge to give us OOC Q1 opportunities.

We need to schedule 1-2 brutally tough games a year. Preferably one home and one away.

But above all? We need to win more fucking games.
That's what drives me nuts about the complaning about the NET or how the ACC gets dogged every year. Even after losing to UGA, Utah and LSU OOC, WF was in position to get a bid, and then the Deacs lose 4 of 6 to close the year, and WF was favored in every game. It wasn't analytics that cost WF, it was the failure to win games against very beatable opponents... over and over again.

Have to believe that Sallis will crush it at the "combine" and in private workouts.

If the only real knock on him is killer instinct, there will be teams happy to overlook that criticism.

I'll be shocked if he comes back next season and I am dreading all of the rehashed, stupid discussion that we're going to have over here (again) until he makes a final decision.

Back