• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

Or transfer, like Olivier Sarr.
I'm very disappointed in how we fell apart at the end of the year. I expected the tourney. However, I give Forbes credit that we have confidence that we will keep our best players, and improve through the portal.

To be fair, we could use a guy like that.
Sure, would be better to have him than not.

All of those games were in November and December, and essentially, this was the first college basketball that McCray had played. McCray has a high ceiling (which is why WF and Florida offered him out of HS). McCray really improved as the year went on, and his speed and strength translate to a high level of basketball. Don't care if you lose sleep over McCray or not, but he has the talent to be better (a lot better than) 9th or 10th man.

You're the one who brought those games up.

I say he's a nothingburger if he ends up on a P6 team that's on the bubble or better. What do you think he's going to accomplish?

100%. Yesterday, WF was down to 6 guys that Forbes could trust to play.
yea that was kinda weird

imagine having so little faith in the dudes you bring to campus that you run a 6 man rotation during the biggest game of the year

yea that was kinda weird

imagine having so little faith in the dudes you bring to campus that you run a 6 man rotation during the biggest game of the year
I think we need to run a few more people out there. But that line would also be a ringing indicment of Hall of Fame coaches like Boeheim and Coach K.

yea that was kinda weird

Feels unfair to Forbes, who reasonably planned on a 8-9 man rotation with Monsanto, Ituka, PFred, and Marsh coming off the bench. Not his fault what happened to the first two guys, and PFred was a resounding success this season. There's even room to stretch that a bit further with Keller/MMM in spots.

As far as the guys on the bench go, the only one I place blame on Forbes for is Marsh. I think it's reasonable to say that coaching should have made a huge 7'1" guy more serviceable than what he was this season.

I say he's a nothingburger if he ends up on a P6 team that's on the bubble or better. What do you think he's going to accomplish?
The same thing that WF and Florida thought when he was offered. Solid combo guard that can play both ends. McCray is 6-4 185 (and will be closer to 200 by next season. He can handle (played PG at JV) and can shoot 35% from three and 72% from the line. He also rebounds well for a guard. Depends on the team, and their needs but McCray has upside. Happy to revisit this in two years when his college ball is over.

I'm not pining over every WF transfer. Lucas Taylor scored points at GA State, but his primary skill is that he can shoot, but he is not an elite shooter and he lacks McCray athleticism and ball skills.

Feels unfair to Forbes, who reasonably planned on a 8-9 man rotation with Monsanto, Ituka, PFred, and Marsh coming off the bench. Not his fault what happened to the first two guys, and PFred was a resounding success this season. There's even room to stretch that a bit further with Keller/MMM in spots.

As far as the guys on the bench go, the only one I place blame on Forbes for is Marsh. I think it's reasonable to say that coaching should have made a huge 7'1" guy more serviceable than what he was this season.

Eh, you get paid the big bucks to do the best with what you’ve got tbf

Instead of adapting to the situation (especially in games that didn’t matter in the OOC), he just shortened his rotation as the year went on.

ETA: and also, Forbes had way more knowledge than any of us did as the season went on - he undoubtedly knew about Damari's limitations and the season ending nature of Jao's injuries... After a certain point, you just have to adapt and I don't think Forbes did that this year to the team's detriment. Not apples-to-apples, but I'd like to see Forbes hold himself accountable like Clawson did for the end of this season.

Instead of adapting to the situation (especially in games that didn’t matter in the OOC), he just shortened his rotation as the year went on.
I mean what did you want him to do?

The only position where depth was a glaring issue was PF/C, and Forbes tried literally everyone he could and they all sucked. Keller was bad, MMM was worse. I wouldn't want either of them getting significant minutes in important games just for the sake of keeping the other guys a bit fresher. Marsh was also bad, but Forbes played him anyways and adapted as best he could.

I mean what did you want him to do?

The only position where depth was a glaring issue was PF/C, and Forbes tried literally everyone he could and they all sucked. Keller was bad, MMM was worse. I wouldn't want either of them getting significant minutes in important games just for the sake of keeping the other guys a bit fresher. Marsh was also bad, but Forbes played him anyways and adapted as best he could.

I wanted him to play Clark more, basically. The post was a big problem (but as you note, he did about as much as he could do), but we were getting murdered by perimeter shooters because we had tired legs on the perimeter and we had a guy sitting there who should have at least gotten a chance to work himself out of the rotation. When we inevitably lose Aaron Clark to the portal, it kinda sucks that we invested a year in his development with virtually nothing to show for it.

I wanted him to play Clark more, basically. The post was a big problem (but as you note, he did about as much as he could do), but we were getting murdered by perimeter shooters because we had tired legs on the perimeter and we had a guy sitting there who should have at least gotten a chance to work himself out of the rotation. When we inevitably lose Aaron Clark to the portal, it kinda sucks that we invested a year in his development with virtually nothing to show for it.
I guess that's a fine take and maybe I'm too trusting of coaches' decision making, but I assume if Clark could have provided value he would have gotten more than basically 0 minutes in meaningful situations this season like he did. I think it's fair for us to assume that his lack of playing time means that he was way behind the other guys.

It's not like Forbes refuses to play freshmen, as PFred was in the rotation pretty much from the very start.

I guess that's a fine take and maybe I'm too trusting of coaches' decision making, but I assume if Clark could have provided value he would have gotten more than basically 0 minutes in meaningful situations this season like he did. I think it's fair for us to assume that his lack of playing time means that he was way behind the other guys.

It's not like Forbes refuses to play freshmen, as PFred was in the rotation pretty much from the very start.
yea i guess it was just pretty clear to those of us who have watched forbes teams play that our guards were gonna burn out down the stretch. happens every year. i don't know why he's wasting scholarships on guys who can't get minutes at Wake, either, but that's a question for the recruiting thread. but, you're right, i overstated the point - he did let our big guys get minutes and they didn't exactly set the world on fire (even tho i'm higher on MMM and Keller than most on here, I think?)

ETA: and also, Forbes had way more knowledge than any of us did as the season went on - he undoubtedly knew about Damari's limitations and the season ending nature of Jao's injuries... After a certain point, you just have to adapt and I don't think Forbes did that this year to the team's detriment. Not apples-to-apples, but I'd like to see Forbes hold himself accountable like Clawson did for the end of this season.

There’s no comparing Forbes this season to Clawson’s failed evaluation of Griffis and refusal to move on from him. Especially if your solution is to just play Clark more.

yea i guess it was just pretty clear to those of us who have watched forbes teams play that our guards were gonna burn out down the stretch. happens every year. i don't know why he's wasting scholarships on guys who can't get minutes at Wake, either, but that's a question for the recruiting thread. but, you're right, i overstated the point - he did let our big guys get minutes and they didn't exactly set the world on fire (even tho i'm higher on MMM and Keller than most on here, I think?)
I agree that if he's just going to bench guys like Taylor/McCray/Clark and let them transfer than we might as well use the scholarship a different way. And I also agree that it would be good for someone like Clark to get some real minutes in November to see if he can have some value later, but in the NET era that's kind of hard to make happen if he's clearly a worse player in practice.

Next year is shaping up to be pretty fun. I hope we can hold on to Carr and Canka, but we've got some talent that complements itself pretty well.

Boopie/healthy Cam should be great
Efton is going to get a lot better this summer, and I'm predicting major improvement
PFred should be a reliable 6th man or 3rd guard
and CANKA is gonna be the next Trent Strickland (based on nothing but #vibes)

I'm looking forward to seeing Hunter Sallis & Juke Harris on the same court @ the same time. Go Deacs!!

i forgot my dude Abramo Canka

-CEO of CANKA DONK GANG
I'm way less forgiving of bringing in a transfer that isn't even good enough to see the floor than I am of doing it with a freshman.

Misevaluations when recruiting high schoolers are just part of it (see Carter Whitt), and it's ok if freshmen aren't good enough to contribute right away. But if you're bringing in a transfer and the guy isn't even good enough to ever see the floor, you wasted a scholarship that you almost certainly could have used in a better way.

Maybe Canka will find his way into playing 5-10 minutes per game next year and prove me wrong, but I assume it's more likely he never does much of anything in a Wake uniform which is a shame

Would we have known how good Kilntman was if Damari hadn’t gotten injured?

Back