• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

Grad transfers are going to dry up as a group. Covid year has had a bolus of them, but there’s really only 1 more year of a bunch of them, and then only guys who graduated early or redshirted, which will be less common when guys don’t have to sit out after transferring (injury situation will account for most). So it could get more challenging for us after this year to land the Alondes/Appleby types.

This could be bad if it limits one of the avenues that works. Conversely, it could be good for our continuity to land almost entirely guys with multiple years left if the increased competition for guys doesn’t preclude us from being successful in the portal. So we shall see. Probably more of a next year problem than this year.

Stanford doesn't join the ACC until August - plenty of time to get a kid transferred and through summer classes before it'd be an inter-conference transfer.

Quick reminder about Wake's transfer policies as an institution (as this thread kicks into high gear):

- Students must have 60 credit hours from Wake Forest to graduate with an undergraduate degree. That means (essentially) that student-athletes must have at least two years of eligibility left in order to complete at least their junior and senior years while at Wake.

- It follows, then, that we can only consider students who are freshmen or sophomores as transfer candidates... or grad transfers (which are not limited by the undergraduate hours requirement).

- Intra-conference transfers should be okay, although there may be some limitations for particular sports of which I'm not aware. Notably, we had soccer players this past year who transferred from UNC (women's) and BC (men's), so there's definitely no university-wide policy against it.
And baseball - Hawke from UNC.

I like the Coastal freshman PG too, Jacob Meyer, but his Assist/TO is also right at 1:1. Solid scoring and rebounding though at 16/5.
Coached against him when he was a sophomore in HS. We didn't know anything about him and he dropped 42 on us. We had 3 future D1 players and still couldn't stop him. He is a dawg. He was also a big-time football player with D1 offers.

Coached against him when he was a sophomore in HS. We didn't know anything about him and he dropped 42 on us. We had 3 future D1 players and still couldn't stop him. He is a dawg. He was also a big-time football player with D1 offers.
you should've gotten coaching tips from 2&2. he is a legend in the MS coaching world

Grad transfers are going to dry up as a group. Covid year has had a bolus of them, but there’s really only 1 more year of a bunch of them, and then only guys who graduated early or redshirted, which will be less common when guys don’t have to sit out after transferring (injury situation will account for most). So it could get more challenging for us after this year to land the Alondes/Appleby types.

This could be bad if it limits one of the avenues that works. Conversely, it could be good for our continuity to land almost entirely guys with multiple years left if the increased competition for guys doesn’t preclude us from being successful in the portal. So we shall see. Probably more of a next year problem than this year.
Yep. The current true 4th year seniors (HS class of 2020) are the last class that receives the automatic benefit of an extra year because of COVID. This is going to create a radical change in the numbers of players available in the portal in every sport. The portal will still be a thing, but the numbers will drop. For schools, like WF that limit their portal recruiting already, there just won't be as many transfer options after this cycle. HS recruiting will become more important for all programs.

Yep. The current true 4th year seniors (HS class of 2020) are the last class that receives the automatic benefit of an extra year because of COVID. This is going to create a radical change in the numbers of players available in the portal in every sport. The portal will still be a thing, but the numbers will drop. For schools, like WF that limit their portal recruiting already, there just won't be as many transfer options after this cycle. HS recruiting will become more important for all programs.

Sure, but if you can really transfer more than once without ever having to sit out, I don't see that much of a slowdown in activity.

Maybe the number drops below 1000, but with NIL and unlimited transfers it's still kind of the wild west out there.

Yes. but the issue is Wake will self limit and not take a guy that "can't" graduate. So while other schools will take a Jr or a Sr transfer, wake will ask the Sr. to go ahead and graduate. (We shall self limit our ability to get Jr and Sr)

uhhh......... why do we need a carr replacement?!

yeah but they both probably like jammie dodges. so pretty much BFFs

I love that fans want to help Steve Forbes navigate the transfer portal.

He clearly needs our help with it.
Would've loved for him to respond with something sarcastic. He probably had something typed up and Johnetta told him to step away from the computer.

I love that fans want to help Steve Forbes navigate the transfer portal.

He clearly needs our help with it.

perhaps we should start sending him high school recruit profiles though :couch:

I think the best thing we have going for us is how much Hunter's mom loves Wake and Winston. Wouldn't completely shock me if he comes back. I mean, if he gets a 1st round grade he's gotta go...But he starts looking like it'll be more second round- middle of second then I think he has something to think about.

Back