• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

OK, so what are the actual going rates for transfers signing with high-major programs right now?

“Starter should be $200,000-$250,000, all-conference $350,000, All-American $500,000-plus — but there are people paying double that across the board,” says one source.

“Starter: $200,000-$300,000. All-conference: $500,000-$750,000. High-end: $800,000-$2 million,” says another.

“Starter: $500,000. All-conference: $800,000-$1 million. Top guys: Well over $1 million. Some teams are getting wild as well with money in the portal,” says a third.

“Depends on position. An all-conference guard could be looking at $450,000-$600,000 and, as they’ve gotten more scarce, $600,000-$800,000. For bigs, what was $600,000-plus for an all-conference player is now over $1 million,” says a fourth.

“Starter: $200,000-$400,000. All-league potential: $600,000-$800,000. Top guys — over a milly!!!” says source No. 5

Bottom line: If you have major needs to fill and plan on doing so through the transfer portal, you’d better have a couple million bucks, at least, in available NIL funds to assemble a competitive roster in the current climate.

https://theathletic.com/5478297/2024/05/08/college-basketball-mailbag-nil-transfers-money/

Pretty interesting Q&A in The Athletic this morning. The answers come from "a handful of movers and shakers in the sport – two high-major head coaches, another high-major staffer, a recruiting insider and a behind-the-scenes power broker, all of whom were granted anonymity in exchange for their candor — to get a feel for the market."

even in an established labor market, if you really want to leave your job, you can probably find someone willing to overpay for your services. No employer pays all 100% of their staff the 99th percentile in wages; employers count on loyalty and other factors to keep talent.

in this market, we have 18-23 year olds looking for their first real payday, coaches trying to hold onto multimillion dollar jobs, and emerging "NIL agents" like this guy (Lucas Taylor's agent) out encouraging moves for their cut of the contracts.

1715172939998.png

How come we aren't super excited about Jordan Ivy-Curry visiting today? He seems solid & exactly what we might need at PG. I know we made his top 3 but lots of big name schools were in consideration too just a few days ago (Kansas, Duke, Texas A&M, etc.)

How come we aren't super excited about Jordan Ivy-Curry visiting today? He seems solid & exactly what we might need at PG. I know we made his top 3 but lots of big name schools were in consideration too just a few days ago (Kansas, Duke, Texas A&M, etc.)
. . . . .feeeeels like a SCOOP brewing!

hope that helps awakegirl

I think we are excited, he’s just likely not a starting PG. Would certainly help our current outlook though as a high scoring combo in a backcourt with a lot of outstanding questions.

Scholarship counter:

1. Cam
2. Efton
3. Parker
4. MMM
5. Juke
6. Spillers
7. Omaha
8. Cosby

9. On hold (definitely) for Sallis. NBA Draft withdrawal deadline is 5/29. Decision by end of month, or on to the contingency plan.

10. On hold (maybe) for Baba. G League Elite Camp is 5/11-12. Top performers are invited to the Draft Combine. Hopefully a decision by early next week if he misses on the Combine, end of month if he makes it.

11. On hold (probably) for KJ. Season runs through May. Decision expected in June.

12. Presumably a guard. JIC on-campus today, Auburn visit tomorrow. Hopefully a decision by the weekend.

13. Presumably a big. No information whatsoever on targets.

If Baba was coming either here or the NBA, he would have committed right? If not, he's holding out for interest from other schools I'd think. Having 3 spots "on hold" for guys that might never show up seems pretty risky.

If Baba was coming either here or the NBA, he would have committed right? If not, he's holding out for interest from other schools I'd think. Having 3 spots "on hold" for guys that might never show up seems pretty risky.
I think there's a good number of players in the portal who have not committed yet. Most of them will end up back in college somewhere

No, he would not have necessarily committed.

There is no information out there that he has expanded his list from the initial three. Obviously, anyone can swoop in at any time, even if he has already committed.

Yes, it's risky.

Are other players at NBA workouts still visiting or committing to schools? Seems risky to potentially tie up some NIL money and a scholarship if you’re not sure if they’ll actually take it or not. Different for a Sallis situation since he was already here and isn’t looking elsewhere.

Are other players at NBA workouts still visiting or committing to schools? Seems risky to potentially tie up some NIL money and a scholarship if you’re not sure if they’ll actually take it or not. Different for a Sallis situation since he was already here and isn’t looking elsewhere.
Chaz Lanier, Wooga Poplar, and Ugo Onyenso are all on the G-League list and going through the recruitment process. Coleman Hawkins, Jamir Watkins, JT Toppin, and Bronny are all in the portal and have Combine invites.

For all the crap Marsh got, I think OGB's list shows it wouldn't have been the worst thing for him to stay and graduate. I am not sure we are going to get an appreciably better big for that 13th slot. It would also provide the staff a bit more time not trying to recruit that position.

For all the crap Marsh got, I think OGB's list shows it wouldn't have been the worst thing for him to stay and graduate. I am not sure we are going to get an appreciably better big for that 13th slot. It would also provide the staff a bit more time not trying to recruit that position.
Marsh wasn't the 13th man last year. Why do you think he would've stuck around and stayed on the bench for his last year of college ball?

Scholarship counter:

1. Cam
2. Efton
3. Parker
4. MMM
5. Juke
6. Spillers
7. Omaha
8. Cosby

9. On hold (definitely) for Sallis. NBA Draft withdrawal deadline is 5/29. Decision by end of month, or on to the contingency plan.

10. On hold (maybe) for Baba. G League Elite Camp is 5/11-12. Top performers are invited to the Draft Combine. Hopefully a decision by early next week if he misses on the Combine, end of month if he makes it.

11. On hold (probably) for KJ. Season runs through May. Decision expected in June.

12. Presumably a guard. JIC on-campus today, Auburn visit tomorrow. Hopefully a decision by the weekend.

13. Presumably a big. No information whatsoever on targets.
I thought MMM hit the portal? Did he announce he's coming back? Edit: maybe I'm forgetting who MMM is :D Edit2: ahhh Marion... not M Marsh, got it.

Back