• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

The bench minutes thing is unfortunate because Forbes stated numerous times that this was the deepest team he's had here at Wake. But then Monsanto's recovery was delayed. And Ituka got hurt (again). And Marsh/Keller/MMM weren't able to earn minutes.

I'm not of the opinion that the team has worn down, but more depth this season would certainly have been helpful.
Forbes may need to rethink his bench minutes philosophy. The grind of the ACC is tougher than place he coached before. The ACC also has a greater variety of player body types and playing styles. Many of them play at a high level. Until he recruits a bunch of 5 star guys, he may need more quantity of playable guys to survive in the upper echelons of the ACC

Forbes may need to rethink his bench minutes philosophy. The grind of the ACC is tougher than place he coached before. The ACC also has a greater variety of player body types and playing styles. Many of them play at a high level. Until he recruits a bunch of 5 star guys, he may need more quantity of playable guys to survive in the upper echelons of the ACC
For example, I know for a fact the 2005 team was worn out down the stretch. Partly because Skip always practiced hard to a fault.

Also wasn’t 2020 the only year he technically made the tourney with ETSU before it was cancelled? So didn’t really use a bench with his best team.
No. His 2017 ETSU team won the SOCON, made the tournament as a #13 seed, playing Florida in the first round.

I know there are mixed feelings about Forbes right now, but his record at ETSU was really good:

2016: 24-12 (14-4) #153
2017: 27-8 (14-4) #67 - NCAAT
2018: 25-9 (14-4) #93
2019: 24-10 (13-5) #80 - CIT
2020: 30-4 (16-2) #56 - NCAAT

I guess Davion Bradford is entering the portal (again) from New Mexico State (where he's not listed on the roster and never played a minute). I think there's mutual interest between he and ETSU (Brooks Savage).

Nothing that impacts Wake Forest, but interesting.

I guess Davion Bradford is entering the portal (again) from New Mexico State (where he's not listed on the roster and never played a minute). I think there's mutual interest between he and ETSU (Brooks Savage).

Nothing that impacts Wake Forest, but interesting.

he visited ETSU several weeks ago

Speaking of the transfer portal... Is there a good site to follow this stuff on?

Verbal Commits went to a subscription model. Used to be free. I'm not paying for portal aggregation content. There has to be something free out there.

No. His 2017 ETSU team won the SOCON, made the tournament as a #13 seed, playing Florida in the first round.

I know there are mixed feelings about Forbes right now, but his record at ETSU was really good:

2016: 24-12 (14-4) #153
2017: 27-8 (14-4) #67 - NCAAT
2018: 25-9 (14-4) #93
2019: 24-10 (13-5) #80 - CIT
2020: 30-4 (16-2) #56 - NCAAT

This is one reason why there’s more confidence in Forbes than the previous three coaches.

So it feels like Monsanto and Ituka are almost certainly not returning.

Probably have 2-3 other departures (Sallis to NBA, others to portal)... So Forbes is pretty clearly going to get to play the portal again this year (thankfully).

My wish list is a starting PG (allowing Boopie to come in and be instant offense & energy off the bench), an athletic wing, a backup big, and a BPA (ideally another potential ACC POY... aim high).

We should have 20-30 minutes per game to promise a big, given Efton's inability to stay on the floor with foul trouble and with the hope Carr comes back. In a perfect world, I'd love a taller PG that can let Boopie play off-ball more.

Hopefully Forbes can keep Boopie and bring in another PG.

So it feels like Monsanto and Ituka are almost certainly not returning.

Probably have 2-3 other departures (Sallis to NBA, others to portal)... So Forbes is pretty clearly going to get to play the portal again this year (thankfully).

My wish list is a starting PG (allowing Boopie to come in and be instant offense & energy off the bench), an athletic wing, a backup big, and a BPA (ideally another potential ACC POY... aim high).

I guess, in theory, Juke would be that athletic wing.

Hopefully Forbes can keep Boopie and bring in another PG.

can players now just transfer whenever? i must have missed that...would be shocked if he left, he was given a huge role this season

agreed, our needs are:

PG - Boopie is great but he needs the ability to create his own shot because he is not really a distributor or creator of shots for others. we desperately need that!
PF/C - someone with strength and above the rim athleticism. i hope Carr and Reid return, but the mix of Marsh, Keller and m^3 get beat up in the post. i am cool with all returning but none of the are rebounders or defenders for good post players.
x-man wing - can be a sg - pf but someone that can score with efficiency, hopefully in the post as well.

ultimately, we need our bench to be useful and stop killing our starters with huge minutes. maybe it will help with end of game and season fails.

I would be shocked if Boopie is not our starting PG next year. Agreed that back-up PG would be a priority. Could see trying to find another combo guard type.

I would be shocked if Boopie is not our starting PG next year. Agreed that back-up PG would be a priority. Could see trying to find another combo guard type.
i hope we don't get another combo guard type. we just need a point guard. or at least a guard who can more seamlessly move between distribution and shot creation than boopie can

Back