• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

I don't see us paying north of $500k for 1 year of Sallis, and even that's a stretch. Still, if he can make somewhat around that, work on a few things and better himself for next year's draft, I'd call it a success

Disagree. I think it’d take well north of that but I also think we’re (Mit) is equipped to do it. Wouldn’t be surprised if he and Efton made that this year, but I clearly am not aware of the actual number.

Sallis at 48 is quite a bit lower than what other sites have him at. I think he has been largely projected to go in the low 20's to mid 30's. Perhap his stock has taken a hit after the duke game, as his numbers honestly were not great in our last several games.

If we cannot pay Sallis what it takes for someone of his caliber, who loves the university to play for us next season, then we may as well shut it down. Honestly, that sucks to hear, and I hope that is not the situation we are in. But if it is, we cannot and will not compete.

This is all in relation to if he is playing college ball, if he chooses pro over us then so be it we can't really do anything about it.

If Sallis is projected in the 40s or higher, I think there's a chance he still plays for NIL. Whether that is for WF or someone else.

It looks like G-league is around 500K for a two-way contract. If Uncle Mit wanted him back for 500K, I think he at least has to think about that before it's a definite "no." Not saying it's likely, but it's a way different equation than it was before NIL.

We've been through this before: it's not just the one year NIL bump that RTQ will offer versus his rookie NBA salary that Sallis and his 'advisors' will consider. There are so many factors at play. Most are slanted into heading to the NBA, but not all. Given previous experiences and knowledge of how this all works, Forbes will keep the door open and hope Hunter returns, but will plan as if Sallis is leaving. This going to play out for a couple of months.

Good overview of last year's second-round picks that were 40 or higher. Only eight of these 28 picks got guaranteed deals.

40. Los Angeles Lakers: Maxwell Lewis, F, Pepperdine: Signed
- Four-year, minimum-salary contract. First two years guaranteed. Third year partially guaranteed. Fourth-year team option.
41. Charlotte Hornets: Amari Bailey, G, UCLA: Signed
- Two-way contract.
42. Washington Wizards: Tristan Vukcevic, F, Partizan Belgrade: Signed
- Two-year, $4,849,784 contract. First year guaranteed. Second-year team option.
43. Portland Trail Blazers: Rayan Rupert, G, New Zealand Breakers: Signed
- Three-year, minimum-salary contract. First two years guaranteed. Third-year team option.
44. San Antonio Spurs: Sidy Cissoko, G, G League Ignite: Signed
- Three-year, minimum-salary contract. First two years guaranteed. Third year non-guaranteed.
45. Memphis Grizzlies: GG Jackson, F, South Carolina: Signed
- Two-way contract.
46. Atlanta Hawks: Seth Lundy, G, Penn State: Signed
- Two-way contract.
47. Indiana Pacers: Mojave King, G, G League Ignite: Will play in G League
48. Los Angeles Clippers: Jordan Miller, F, Miami: Signed
- Two-way contract.
49. Cleveland Cavaliers: Emoni Bates, G/F, Eastern Michigan: Signed
Two-way contract.
50. Oklahoma City Thunder: Keyontae Johnson, F, Kansas State: Signed
- Two-way contract.
50. Brooklyn Nets: Jalen Wilson, F, Kansas: Signed
- Two-way contract.
51. Phoenix Suns: Toumani Camara, F, Dayton: Signed
- Four-year, minimum-salary contract. First year guaranteed. Fourth-year team option.
52. Minnesota Timberwolves: Jaylen Clark, G, UCLA: Signed
- Two-way contract.
53. Sacramento Kings: Jalen Slawson, F, Furman: Signed
- Two-way contract.
54. Indiana Pacers: Isaiah Wong, G, Miami: Signed
- Two-way contract.
55. Memphis Grizzlies: Tarik Biberovic, G/F, Fenerbahce: Will play overseas
56. Golden State Warriors: Trayce Jackson-Davis, F, Indiana: Signed
- Four-year, minimum-salary contract. First two years guaranteed. Fourth-year team option.
57. Milwaukee Bucks: Chris Livingston, F, Kentucky: Signed
- Four-year, minimum-salary contract. First two years guaranteed. Fourth-year team option.

I donate to RTQ each month. It's not a lot, but I'd say between that and my season tickets / gift I'm doing my part.

I was just making a joke. Sorry if it seemed like I was calling you out, specifically.

It's just easy for us to be like, "Sallis is worth $500k" on a message board (and he is, IMO) when somebody else is writing the check.

I was just making a joke. Sorry if it seemed like I was calling you out, specifically.

It's just easy for us to be like, "Sallis is worth $500k" on a message board (and he is, IMO) when somebody else is writing the check.
I understand and don't take any offense, it's kind of like discussing whether a free agent is worth the price, except in this case we are responsible for at least part of the bill.

I understand and don't take any offense, it's kind of like discussing whether a free agent is worth the price, except in this case we are responsible for at least part of the bill.

i guess kind of, but not really. owning a pro sports franchise is super coveted because they are great investments than generate a profit and have a long track record of appreciating in value. the owners benefit directly from winning.

college athletic departments are non-profits that lose money operationally and are subsidized by donors (who are donors, not investors). adding the cost of NIL just makes it more expensive.

that said we do have the money, thanks mostly to a few elite donors, so it’s definitely an interesting discussion even if we don’t have all the info.

Last edited:
This last injury might give him pause as well about returning. Hope not. Would love to see what most of this year's team returning can accomplish. There has been a lot of roster churn the past four years which makes it tough to have a cohesive team, particularly early.

yeah, it's an objectively wild model when you compare it to pro sports

can you imagine giving cash to, say, the Atlanta Braves for their free agency chase?

at least right now, I assume the most likely scenario is that Sallis tests the NBA draft waters with the ability to come back, and he ends up coming back

You may well be right, but I feel like this thinking is asking for disappointment. There is not a lot of precedent of a first team all conference (major conference) player (guard especially) with a legitimate shot at an NBA roster coming back to school. Tyler Kolek, maybe?

Probably it’s just the wake fan in me, but to me the most likely scenario is that Hunter tests the process, decides to leave late, handcuffing us for getting a replacement. Then we all fight over how much of that is Forbes’ fault as we have another interesting but disappointing season.

We've been through this before: it's not just the one year NIL bump that RTQ will offer versus his rookie NBA salary that Sallis and his 'advisors' will consider. There are so many factors at play. Most are slanted into heading to the NBA, but not all. Given previous experiences and knowledge of how this all works, Forbes will keep the door open and hope Hunter returns, but will plan as if Sallis is leaving. This going to play out for a couple of months.

Two-way contracts can pay up to $508,891 for the entire 2022-23 season, pro-rated based on the in-season signing date.

Back