• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

I’m not saying it doesn’t have legs, but the only place that is saying anything about Carr is the crazy other board. I believe nothing posted over there.

You don't respect a board whose mods banned people for questioning their assessment of a 5'9" QB's ability to play in the ACC? Who then proceeded to blame 21 other starting players just to keep the narrative going for weeks? Shocking.

Why can't WF find equal or better options through the portal?

Carr came to WF through the portal, and WF has excelled finding talent via the portal. Want both back, but if they leave, the staff has the track record of bringing really good, and sometimes great talent (as in ACC POYs and NBA 1st round picks) through the portal. Plus, WF has the NIL money to be competitive with almost anyone in college basketball. If WF has to rebuild its roster each year, the staff has shown it can do that. Whether this is good for college basketball (its not) or whether its makes it hard for the fans (it does) is a different question, but I believe this staff will find good players through the portal. It has every year.

I mean, if we were rebuilding to be an actual good team, maybe (not really, but it would be possible). I'm just not interested in watching WFU scramble to cobble together a decent-looking, but under-achieving and questionably coached team every single year. I guess I'm just not a dedicated enough fan to devote much of my attention and leisure time to that.

To paraphrase Ph, we work so hard to convince ourselves that it's all good. But at some point, you have to either choose to be serially disappointed or acknowledge that, you know, it ain't good.

Because WF will have a ship and the money to find another transfer that is as good or better. That's college basketball these days. You take the circumstances as they are and you find the best options. Our staff has excelled at that. People have to stop thinking of college basketball rosters as anyting other than one year teams. Once the season is over, you build your next team. Sometimes from scratch or close to from scratch.
Well I still think it sucks if he leaves. I really liked watching him play for Wake.

It has legs. The other board identified the source and he's legit. He does not work for 247. He covers college hoop and has been accurate with other info about the WF program.
Unlike certain ACC big men.

I mean, if we were rebuilding to be an actual good team, maybe (not really, but it would be possible). I'm just not interested in watching WFU scramble to cobble together a decent-looking, but under-achieving and questionably coached team every single year. I guess I'm just not a dedicated enough fan to devote much of my attention and leisure time to that.

To quote Ph, we work so hard to convince ourselves that it's all good. But at some point, you have to either choose to be serially disappointed or acknowledge that, you know, it ain't good.
That's fine. Follow soccer or bird-watching.

WF missed the NCAAT by a bee's dick in 2022 and 2024, and would've been a bubble team in 2023 if Monsanto hadn't been hurt. Sometimes, you got to keep knocking on the door to get in. Understand those who think its hopeless, but also understand those that think things might be different going forward.

Carr came to WF through the portal, and WF has excelled finding talent via the portal. Want both back, but if they leave, the staff has the track record of bringing really good, and sometimes great talent (as in ACC POYs and NBA 1st round picks) through the portal. Plus, WF has the NIL money to be competitive with almost anyone in college basketball. If WF has to rebuild its roster each year, the staff has shown it can do that. Whether this is good for college basketball (its not) or whether its makes it hard for the fans (it does) is a different question, but I believe this staff will find good players through the portal. It has every year.

Is it crazy that I simultaneously believe that:
1. Pilchard is the most knowledgeable poster on this board. His posts are enjoyable to read and extremely informative. Top 3 poster.
AND
2. All 13 scholarship basketball players could transfer and the Shah facility could burn to the ground and Pilchard would come on here and spin it as an absolute positive for the program.

Wouldn't it be great if we could land an equivalent of Alondes, Jake, Tyree, Hunter, Sy, and Efton for one or two seasons. With the scholarships available, who knows

I mean, let's be honest...I am not dropping Wake sports even if the sky falls. I made it through the previous two coaches in basketball and caldwell years in football. it's like a drug and i just can't kick it!

it's not implausible that Forbes can find someone better than Carr out there in the portal

but we were already in a position where we needed several more good players over what we currently have, now in a hypothetical world where Carr leaves we have to hit on like five good players to be a good team

the more slots you have to fill, the harder it is

a bird in the hand and all that

WF missed the NCAAT by a bee's dick in 2022 and 2024, and would've been a bubble team in 2023 if Monsanto hadn't been hurt. Sometimes, you got to keep knocking on the door to get in. Understand those who think its hopeless, but also understand those that think things might be different going forward.

It's called an endophallus.

So crass.

No, I don't think we will have a better roster next year trying to replace eight players if four of them are above-average starters. I think we can manager losing one of two starters, not four, if we want to improve.

If you think we can upgrade each of Cam, Carr, Boopie, Sallis, then Forbes is the best recruiter in America. You think that is realistic? Adding a few pieces is different than an eight-man rebuild.

If we keep Cam and Carr, then I think we can build on that to a bid next season. If we lose those four guys 1 - why would Reid stay? 2 - what are you selling portal guys on? That was my original post - we have a platform for guys to showcase offensive skills, and it hasn't translated into meaningful wins for our program. How does this change?

Would you say that Carr leaving is a "nothingburger?"

To paraphrase Ph, we work so hard to convince ourselves that it's all good. But at some point, you have to either choose to be serially disappointed or acknowledge that, you know, it ain't good.

For someone not interested in devoting attention and leisure time to Wake sports, Kent sure appears to spend a lot of time posting about how little he cares on a Wake message board.

Did Carr receive his degree or will he this year? Seems like if he needed one more year he’d be more inclined to stay. If he’s already got it, then he probably gone.

Last edited:
Would you say that Carr leaving is a "nothingburger?"
Nope. Would say it could hurt, maybe a lot, but since I am often totally wrong, maybe it is a 'nothingburger' disguised as a 'something burger'.

WF missed the NCAAT by a bee's dick in 2022 and 2024
Was Wake even in the first four out or next four out either of these years? If you are 8+ teams away from getting one of 36 at-large bids, I'm not sure you can really say that you just barely missed out.

Wake should have made the NCAAT both of those years, they had the talent to do so, yet they didn't.

For someone not interested in devoting attention and leisure time to Wake sports, Kent sure appears to spend a lot of time posting about how little he cares on a Wake message board.

Dude, I've been on this board for 13 years, and have just over a thousand posts. I will give you credit, though, for crafting a perfectly annoying message board persona. You really have perfected the art of annoyance. It somehow irritates the crap out of me, and makes me laugh at the same time. It's uncanny.

Was Wait Chapel built over top of an ancient burial site, in turn pissing off the sports gods?

Part of the hope for things to be different going forward was the belief that by bringing in younger players in the portal, there would be roster continuity and depth year over year.

For various reasons (Jao hurt X2, Damari hurt X2-3, Boopie wanting more money, now Carr perhaps leaving; and while not a transfer, Bobi unexpectedly getting buzz and having an agent take him to Australia), of Carr leaves, we will once again go into the portal “season” needing almost a complete roster overhaul. And while Forbes has done an admirable job getting close, portal roster overhauls have so far netted zero NCAA bids.

Back