• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

In the ACC that those other guys coached in, 2 of Forbes last 3 teams are tourney teams without question. Manning made the First Four at 9-9 in the ACC. Didn't win 20 games. Won a single game against a ranked team and it was at home which doesn't count anymore.

These arguments against Forbes are basically folks sticking fingers in their ears and stomping while just repeating "No tournament bids" over and over. That's fine if that is all you want to use to judge a coach by, but I think it's absurdly short-sighted and potentially self-destructive if too many fans think that way. Forbes has won a ton of games, dominated at the Joel, pulled in a ton of talent that has over-exited to the League, and has had us on the brink of breaking through multiple times in a much tougher atmosphere than any of his predecessors had - and did it while taking over during COVID and for a school that was wayyyy late to the NIL game. It's like looking at a golfer and saying "Oh that guy sucks he's never won" but he has a bunch of top 10's and all his metrics are excellent except one or two things he's working on. Eventually Phil won a bunch of majors, and eventually Forbes is gonna win a ton of tourney games for someone. I just hope it's Wake.
Unignore.

I do love watching DCDeac recycle his talking points from [Redacted] and Manning to throw shade on posters who believe that postseason success is a reasonable goal to have for an ACC head coach making more money than most of us will see in our lifetimes.

And y'all aren't wrong, but really the only important metric that matters for Forbes at this point is postseason success. That's why we fired Dino, hired and fired [Redacted], hired and fired Manning, and hired Forbes. If y'all think that isn't a consideration from folks who can actually make decisions about this, then I simply don't know what to tell you.

It's fine if you don't care about getting to the tournament (see how annoying it is when your nuanced take becomes a message board dig?), but let's not pretend like Currie doesn't expect Forbes to make the NCAA Tournament next year.

And yea, I've heard it all at this point. Phil, Coach K, fuckin' John Wooden, etc. Forbes isn't getting any younger, guys. I love the guy and I hope he gives the AD a reason to keep him as our coach. But I don't think anybody is pleased with the state of the program right now. Especially Currie and Forbes.

I do love watching DCDeac recycle his talking points from [Redacted] and Manning to throw shade on posters who believe that postseason success is a reasonable goal to have for an ACC head coach making more money than most of us will see in our lifetimes.

And y'all aren't wrong, but really the only important metric that matters for Forbes at this point is postseason success. That's why we fired Dino, hired and fired [Redacted], hired and fired Manning, and hired Forbes. If y'all think that isn't a consideration from folks who can actually make decisions about this, then I simply don't know what to tell you.

It's fine if you don't care about getting to the tournament (see how annoying it is when your nuanced take becomes a message board dig?), but let's not pretend like Currie doesn't expect Forbes to make the NCAA Tournament next year.

And yea, I've heard it all at this point. Phil, Coach K, fuckin' John Wooden, etc. Forbes isn't getting any younger, guys. I love the guy and I hope he gives the AD a reason to keep him as our coach. But I don't think anybody is pleased with the state of the program right now. Especially Currie and Forbes.
💯

The hole Wellman dug with two terrible hires is significant. Wake essentially lost a generation of young players. No one playing in college today is old enough to remember Chris Paul at Wake, and very few likely even remember Teague/Johnson/Aminu. The perception of Wake is a program that is rising from the ashes. We aren't there yet, but I'm confident it's coming. Maybe it's Forbes that gets us there, maybe it's the next coach. But the grass isn't always greener, as most of us know all too well. It's not worth pulling the plug on a guy that's won 65 games over the past three seasons. If we're still in this situation in two years, then it's time to reevaluate.

At least it’s his first decent post in a long, long time. Have to start somewhere. He too may find postseason success one day.

Eh, sometimes we get hyped about random players. At least Carter Whitt was highly ranked. I remember getting hype about a Bzz point guard recruit from QEA. That…did not work out.

The hole Wellman dug with two terrible hires is significant. Wake essentially lost a generation of young players. No one playing in college today is old enough to remember Chris Paul at Wake, and very few likely even remember Teague/Johnson/Aminu. The perception of Wake is a program that is rising from the ashes. We aren't there yet, but I'm confident it's coming. Maybe it's Forbes that gets us there, maybe it's the next coach. But the grass isn't always greener, as most of us know all too well. It's not worth pulling the plug on a guy that's won 65 games over the past three seasons. If we're still in this situation in two years, then it's time to reevaluate.
I think this perspective is overrated. Most SEC programs were garbage when these kids were growing up too yet they have invested more in bball and are getting good players (and it’s not just NIL). Unless you’re a blue blood then I think most kids are deciding based on fit and best chance to play.

Alright this is the roster construction thread not Forbes' Credibility Watch. Did we get listed with anyone new today? Any tangible visits or links that might point to our top targets? Who's stalking planes?

Back