• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

Again, if AJ Storr is valued at >$750,000 it speaks directly to a society that grossly overvalues its entertainers and its chief corporate executives.

Would I rather give $350,000 to fund Boopie Miller for one year, or pay for the entire cost of a Wake Forest education for one student?
Would I rather give $1,000,000 for AJ Storr to come to Wake for one year (where he would likely tear his ACL in early February) or help endow a professorship?

I just cannot see how these numbers are sustainable at the college level. If they are, it means colleges have become a semiprofessional sport organizations.
Should Wake Forest be more Pro Humanitate and less pro athlete?

Again, if AJ Storr is valued at >$750,000 it speaks directly to a society that grossly overvalues its entertainers and its chief corporate executives.

Would I rather give $350,000 to fund Boopie Miller for one year, or pay for the entire cost of a Wake Forest education for one student?
Would I rather give $1,000,000 for AJ Storr to come to Wake for one year (where he would likely tear his ACL in early February) or help endow a professorship?

I just cannot see how these numbers are sustainable at the college level. If they are, it means colleges have become a semiprofessional sport organizations.
Nobody is forcing you to give your money to college athletics if you don't want to. Just like nobody is going to force Mit Shah to redirect his money away from Wake basketball and towards Wake academics.

College athletics are really important to a lot of people, and that's not suddenly morally wrong now that players are actually getting paid based upon their market value.

Don’t know about truest, but compensation of athletes outside of a salary cap is certainly one of the most pure meritocracies that exist. Players get paid on talent and hard work alone. It’s one of the reasons the most ardent capitalists hate it.
Blowing up the current hoops and football college sports model and inevitable resulting competitive inequality is my #1 reason.

Yeah the transfer portal is the truest definition of capitalism. So anyone bitching about it must be bleeding heart Bernie bros, I'd assume.

Also, the adults in the room created this mess with their own greed.

The athletes simply followed suit. The athletes are the last ones to blame in all this.
100%

Bronny to Wake (not)

If Bronny James decides to return to college and transfer elsewhere, Duquesne is expected to be among his prominent considerations, sources said. Duquesne's new coach, Dru Joyce, was a high school teammate of LeBron's and a longtime James family friend. Joyce was promoted to head coach after Keith Dambrot retired following an Atlantic 10 championship and a run to the NCAA tournament. Dambrot was the high school coach of James and Joyce at St. Vincent's-St. Mary's in Akron Ohio.

The conventional wisdom has underestimated how many people have stupid money.

Also, even though the whale donors don't get a monetary return on NIL pay for play funds, they do get a seat at the table with the coaching staff in player retention and acquisition - essentially, they get the ultimate insider view of the sport they love; something their money could never buy before. Think about it. Mit Shah always loved WF basketball, but when the season ended, the coaching staff never met with him to map out a strategy for roster construction. Now they do.

Look at this thread. We all love finding potential targets and theorizing about the 2024-5 roster. There are lots of people with money and its worth it to them to feel even closer to the program and actually tangibly help build next year's roster. Intoxicating. Unless the rules change or the NCAA craters as a whole (which is possible), this crazy money spend is never going to end.

The conventional wisdom has underestimated how many people have stupid money.

Also, even though the whale donors don't get a monetary return on NIL pay for play funds, they do get a seat at the table with the coaching staff in player retention and acquisition - essentially, they get the ultimate insider view of the sport they love; something their money could never buy before. Think about it. Mit Shah always loved WF basketball, but when the season ended, the coaching staff never met with him to map out a strategy for roster construction. Now they do.

Look at this thread. We all love finding potential targets and theorizing about the 2024-5 roster. There are lots of people with money and its worth it to them to feel even closer to the program and actually tangibly help build next year's roster. Intoxicating. Unless the rules change or the NCAA craters as a whole (which is possible), this crazy money spend is never going to end.
Very True and somewhat overlooked.

Louisville is not a city I would live in, nor is the university a school I would attend. The basketball team that represents the university and the town has history of competitiveness and success. The three states in the immediate vicinity produce good basketball talent and UL can usually have their pick of the better talent. The basketball team has outstanding support financially and actively attends the games. Enjoy the difficulties the UL basketball program is presently experiencing. If Pat Kelsey is as good a coach as so many on this forum believe, he has just begun the best opportunity of his lifetime.
Yep.
However, Lville the City has a lot of historical and cultural appeal. I’m a redneck from WNC, but I could see living there. Not a lot of difference from WS, but worse traffic.

Fair questions, all.

He looks like a more experienced, but not nearly as quick, Boopie.

I like him as a 1 year guy with a high floor. Would also want to bring in another ball handler that maybe has some additional eligibility and more upside.

Back