• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

I hear you but I assume you played amateur sports. This isn’t that.

But the dynamics are still there - if you have no buy in from coaches and teammates, then you can’t win. There’s no team if everybody is a “rational economic actor.” Not even in pro sports.

Back to the portal…who we getting? We still need 5, for fucks sake!

We still need 5, for fucks sake!
Meh, in today’s day and age of player movement I’m not really convinced a team will be reasonably able to fill all 13 of their scholarships. The end of the bench guy is almost assuredly going to transfer after the year, so why would anyone sign up to do that?

I get how it’s beneficial to the team to have the bodies for practice and in case of multiple injuries, but which type of player is signing up to sit at the end of the bench for Wake? Especially when they all could just go to a lower level school, get developmental playing time, and then transfer up when ready.

I agree, to some amount, but you have to fill a team. All 13, one way or another.

Seems like there a lot of low 3-star or unranked guys who would willingly commit to staying at a school on a couple of 2-year contracts for a minimal NIL or revenue sharing commitment who would guarantee numbers for practice and provide stability to the program. But I don’t think we’re there yet from a market or regulatory standpoint.

Is Forbes out there telling guys they’ll be bench fodder for a scholarship? Or is he telling them they’re good players who can earn playing time?

Is Forbes out there telling guys they’ll be bench fodder for a scholarship? Or is he telling them they’re good players who can earn playing time?

No idea, but if it’s the latter then he’s not really doing a good job of showing that that’s actually possible.

Under my scenario, of course anyone would be competing for playing time. But you want some guys who are realistic and can grow in the program and get a degree.

I doubt he is saying that, but he needs to take a chance on training up a player. I get he doesn’t have a lot of success with that, but I think you need like 3 of those guys per year. Maybe get lucky!

I mean if Forbes is out here telling 13 guys that they are realistically going to have playing time and then ends up with a 7-8 man rotation every year, there’s gonna be at least 5-6 very unhappy transfers out every year. Not to mention the toxic impact that would have on team chemistry.

I’m sure everyone has a somewhat realistic expectation of what their role is going to be. I just don’t know who is signing up to willingly have the role of a Canka or Clark.

Talk them into a developmental role. It’s not easy sale, but there are guys that might go to an ACC team over a D2 team.

They only need 10 in my opinion. Normally only play eight. Five on five in practice. There are also five or so walk on's too. I would guess they aren't too far off from the end of the bench players.
It's not likely that five of the ten gets hurt at the same time although we've been close. Three I think. My 2 cents worth. Yep, I'm a tightwad.

We got fucked with Damari and Jao getting hurt last season so you can never be too careful

I see no need to not fill a whole team. Just makes no sense to me. Why limit yourself for no reason? There are so many players that you can take a chance on and maybe they thrive. If not they can find playing time at a lower level.

Jakucionis, Cam, Bilieu, Baba, Efton, Spillers, Cosby, PFred would be a hell of a top 8

probably would still need another big (I am bummed that we probably won't look to take both Baba and Power) but I like the makeup of that group a looooot

and if Sallis somehow comes back, good god

This is a prime FSU-like roster.

Meh, in today’s day and age of player movement I’m not really convinced a team will be reasonably able to fill all 13 of their scholarships. The end of the bench guy is almost assuredly going to transfer after the year, so why would anyone sign up to do that?

I get how it’s beneficial to the team to have the bodies for practice and in case of multiple injuries, but which type of player is signing up to sit at the end of the bench for Wake? Especially when they all could just go to a lower level school, get developmental playing time, and then transfer up when ready.
Practice Fodder Portal trademark in coming

Back