• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

Hoping we aren't putting all of our eggs in this european basket. Would not want to hand the starting PG role to him as a true freshman, given our spotty history with Europeans. And if he's really that good, why wouldn't he just go in this draft?
Because he wants to come cook at Wake for 1 year?

Hoping we aren't putting all of our eggs in this european basket. Would not want to hand the starting PG role to him as a true freshman, given our spotty history with Europeans. And if he's really that good, why wouldn't he just go in this draft?

Not old enough.

Maybe the biggest bag is his priority and maybe we are willing to over pay for some insurance.

Last year in college and he doesn't have NBA potential I don't think. Make the most money regardless of playing time.

Because he's not eligible for this draft. He's only 17, right?

I think we get him if we want him. I think the staff is going to take JIC OR Kasparas -- not both. Goes back to the minutes allocation. Because they have to leave the door open for Sallis to come back. So if JIC commits, I'd be shocked if we get Kasparas. Both those guys are wanting 30mpg
Personally, take the most talented players available and the minutes will follow. This will create more work for you, but I have faith.

Like Bobby Knight said about Jordan to the Blazers that needed a center: "Draft Jordan and play him at center."

Similar to my comment about being able to keep Marsh, at some point we need to be able to get/keep ACC level talent on the bench. Otherwise, we will hit the wall at the end of games or the end of the season when our starters are stretched too thin, injured or in foul trouble. Forbes has had at least a couple guys out with injury/illness most of his time at Wake. When that guy is out, we need someone better than Lucas Taylor taking those minutes. That is even tougher in today's portal environment. But, I think that is an area we need to show improvement if we are to take another step forward. We need a couple guys, who can really play and help win games, even when there is not an obvious path to PT when everyone is available.

I think we get him if we want him. I think the staff is going to take JIC OR Kasparas -- not both. Goes back to the minutes allocation. Because they have to leave the door open for Sallis to come back. So if JIC commits, I'd be shocked if we get Kasparas. Both those guys are wanting 30mpg
Why are you so definitive in stating that Ivy-Curry wants 30mpg? Dude didn't even start for the Roadrunners and you think he's going to go out there demanding 30mpg while moving UP in conference/team ability? That doesn't compute and almost seems like you're just throwing out a statement without thinking it through.

Something similar would be saying, "it is sunny today so no chance it will snow tomorrow!" But who would say something like that?? :p

Similar to my comment about being able to keep Marsh, at some point we need to be able to get/keep ACC level talent on the bench. Otherwise, we will hit the wall at the end of games or the end of the season when our starters are stretched too thin, injured or in foul trouble. Forbes has had at least a couple guys out with injury/illness most of his time at Wake. When that guy is out, we need someone better than Lucas Taylor taking those minutes. That is even tougher in today's portal environment. But, I think that is an area we need to show improvement if we are to take another step forward. We need a couple guys, who can really play and help win games, even when there is not an obvious path to PT when everyone is available.
and matchups.

Different teams/rosters are going to require different minutes for our guys depending on their abilities and how they can either A) exploit the other team's deficiencies, or B) mitigate the other team's strengths

Sallis won’t know if he’s coming or going until after the combines (end of May), and Kaspar isn’t even visiting the US until June. Seems the timing works nicely.
Good point. We can hold one ship open for the first taker or two.

And I think he's visiting all three of his final three this week. Auburn tomorrow. Got to think we'll hear something soon

We have 0 point guards on the team now. I don't see a mystery Euro that may not even come to the US scaring him off. And unless he reads this thread, he may not even know about the Euro.

Why are you so definitive in stating that Ivy-Curry wants 30mpg? Dude didn't even start for the Roadrunners and you think he's going to go out there demanding 30mpg while moving UP in conference/team ability? That doesn't compute and almost seems like you're just throwing out a statement without thinking it through.

Something similar would be saying, "it is sunny today so no chance it will snow tomorrow!" But who would say something like that?? :p
He seems to be parroting what Cam is saying on the other site.

Oh Creamy, my favorite purveyor of goodness — let’s think this one through:

Which is the bigger problem?
A. We take more guys capable of minutes than can fit into 200 minutes; or
B. We land none of those guys and have plenty of minutes to go around, but guys filling them that aren’t good enough to make the tournament?

Of course B, and the coaches have to be approaching things that way. Where it’s tricky is we have a set amount of $ to go around and guys will want a certain role. I think the main point here is that if we don’t get a guy like this, it will be because he wasn’t interested in the role (could be 15 min off the bench and could be 30 and a central scoring option) rather than the coaching staff deciding they don’t want the guy.

Back