• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '21-'22 Roster Construction Thread: +LaRavia/Taylor/Walton/Monsanto/Williams/Sy/Marsh

If Massoud moves, I would not be shocked to see him at Harvard with Amaker.

Think I'm higher on Massoud than everyone else other than RJ.

Given the lack of size, WF had to play Ish out of position all year. He's not a 5, and he's only a 4, if WF had inside scoring threats at other spots. WF didn't have that. Also, after the Pitt game, ACC schools figured out that WF's best (only) chance to win was from behind the arc. So, everyone over-played from behind the arc, particularly Massoud; yes, Ish's shooting rate dropped, but he also almost never had an open look over the last month. With LaRavia, Ingraham, Hildreth, a stronger Whitt, Williamson, McCray, another year of Ody development, maybe another piece, WF should be more of a threat to score inside. That development opens up more outside scoring chances for Massoud. Also, with a normal off-season of strength and conditioning, Ish should get stronger (he's not going to gain 30 pounds of muscle, but 10 could help him when he takes the ball to the basket). Will always have a soft spot for a 6-8 player who can hit the 3. Understand why some here are have given up on Massoud, but still think he can help WF over the next few seasons.

I see massoud getting 15mpg for us, regardless if he starts or comes off the bench. He has the chance to be a solid role player and can steal a few more minutes if he's hitting his shots.

He doesn't need to be asked to do too much, which he was this season. Massoud getting 7 minutes a half isn't unrealistic, as our roster stands right now. Hopefully it's a moot point and we bring in 4 more stud transfers who bury massoud on the depth chart

I mean, I don't have a problem with Massoud in a backup role, but that's the exact opposite of a starter. Of course it matters who starts.

Seeing that both Qudray and Marcus Watson are in the portal further illustrates that Manning’s last recruiting class was historically awful. Like even bad by mid level conference standards. If we had kept manning around for a few more years(shudder), we were heading for absolute rock bottom of the entire P5 teams and probably much worse than that. Thank god we made the coaching change last year.

Given the lack of size, WF had to play Ish out of position all year. He's not a 5, and he's only a 4, if WF had inside scoring threats at other spots. WF didn't have that. Also, after the Pitt game, ACC schools figured out that WF's best (only) chance to win was from behind the arc. So, everyone over-played from behind the arc, particularly Massoud; yes, Ish's shooting rate dropped, but he also almost never had an open look over the last month. With LaRavia, Ingraham, Hildreth, a stronger Whitt, Williamson, McCray, another year of Ody development, maybe another piece, WF should be more of a threat to score inside. That development opens up more outside scoring chances for Massoud. Also, with a normal off-season of strength and conditioning, Ish should get stronger (he's not going to gain 30 pounds of muscle, but 10 could help him when he takes the ball to the basket). Will always have a soft spot for a 6-8 player who can hit the 3. Understand why some here are have given up on Massoud, but still think he can help WF over the next few seasons.

I realize that Massoud's natural position is 3 but my thing is he has 0 playmaking ability with the ball. His only strength is his shot. If he gets stronger I could see him being a good piece for a good Wake team

i think i am higher on Massoud also. i also want him to stay and think he can be a solid contributor. he is not a post player, so i don't know if we really got to see his game fully. i like his shot and think he could be a 6th man spark off the bench.

I'm also in the camp that Massoud can / should be a useful asset. His 3-pt% is a bit lower than you'd like, but that might help with shot selection / more open looks. And agree some extra muscle could help.

I suspect he's frustrated the fanbase with what is ostensibly an inability to play to his strengths -- it was maddening to see him continue to try and make plays off the bounce or on the inside. He shot a truly pathetic 35% on 2s and turned the ball over way more than you'd want from a player like him who should be a spot-up shooter. But hard to know if that was something the coaching staff was encouraging him to do.

Also, to be fair to RJ, he brought up the valid point about 3 point threats next year. Antonio hit the most 3s for WF last year, and Ish was 2nd. With Antonio gone, if Ish leaves, then who is WF outside shooting threat? Davien and then what? The three point shot is a key part of success in college hoop now. Unless WF brings in another Markman like Antonio, WF will lack three point options next year.

I want Massoud to stay also. My point is he only has his shot. He is not a post player yet he can't drive to the basket or create and he is a liability on defense. He needs to get stronger and improve to be a consistent contributor moving forward.

He's actually a good passer.

If we hadn't stopped driving and dishing, he and Antonio would have had better seasons. It's also very different to slash to the basket from the wing rather than trying to move from the baseline into waiting bigs.

I want Massoud to stay also. My point is he only has his shot. He is not a post player yet he can't drive to the basket or create and he is a liability on defense. He needs to get stronger and improve to be a consistent contributor moving forward.

This is probably my top concern. The guy can’t guard anyone, certainly not athletic 3s in the ACC. Barring a dramatic improvement in explosiveness (unlikely) I don’t see that changing much. Mucius is also somewhat limited offensively but he has the athleticism to be a quality wing defender.

He's actually a good passer.

If we hadn't stopped driving and dishing, he and Antonio would have had better seasons. It's also very different to slash to the basket from the wing rather than trying to move from the baseline into waiting bigs.

Well we wouldn't really know that would we. He did well in the ND ACCT game, but many games if the ball went to him he was shooting. That needs to improve. Of course Forbes kept putting him out there.

There are a lot of kids in high school who can stand there and shoot threes if other people get them open while not playing defense on the other end. He probably would have been more valuable next year when we will hopefully have 4 guys (Williamson, Whitt, McCray, and Hildreth) who can make defenses respect their drive and pass, even if they are mostly very young.

Back