• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '21-'22 Roster Construction Thread: +LaRavia/Taylor/Walton/Monsanto/Williams/Sy/Marsh

So realistically, when do we think we can expect to hear about any additional transfer portal commits? Late April/Early May?

I'd argue any time between now and August.

Nothing keeping us from landing some players in the near-term... With all of these players in the portal, I think there is some urgency on their end to find a good fit and take advantage of it. I suspect Forbes will push to sign at least 1-2 in the next month or so. Can't just have 5 open scholarships sitting there.

But I know nothing.

LaRavia's quick commitment increased expectations of how quickly transfer decisions are typically made.

As an example, last year, there were far fewer transfers and many, if not most, transfer commitments lagged into May (Sarr, Brown and McClung all announced their transfer decision in May). It's actually kind of odd that any transfer commitments are made now as there will be many more players in the portal over the next 3 weeks as the NCAA hoop season ends. Summer school typically starts after Memorial Day and coaches like to have their kids on campus as soon as possible to get them into strength and conditioning programs (and to acquaint them with their teammates). So, in a perfect world, Forbes would like to have the roster set before then.

WF could land a player tomorrow, but don't think we will have an accurate handle on next year's roster until May, maybe even later.

Last edited:
LaRavia's quick commitment increased expectations of how quickly transfer decisions are typically made.

As an example, last year, there were far fewer transfers and many, if not most, transfer commitments lagged into May (Sarr, Brown and McClung all announced their transfer decision in May). It's actually kind of odd that any transfer commitments are made now as there will be many more players in the portal over the next 3 weeks as the NCAA hoop season ends. Summer school typically starts after Memorial Day and coaches like to have their kids on campus as soon as possible to get them into strength and conditioning programs (and to acquaint them with their teammates). So, in a perfect world, Forbes would like to have the roster set before then.

WF could land a player tomorrow, but don't think we will have an accurate handle on next year's roster until May, maybe even later.

#CreamyVibes?

Deacs have some connections with Franklin. Not saying its going to happen, but WF has a chance.

Race Thompson from Indiana...I'll take him.

Vibes increased substantially today.

Need a couple things to fall in place, but vibes are increasing

Minnesota's Jamal Mashburn Jr. (6-2 combo guard) has entered the portal. WF was a finalist for him and he visited. Mashburn came on at the end of the season. He scored double figures in 8 of the Gophers last 9 games, including 18 to close the season against tOSU in the Big 10 tourney.

Vibes increased substantially today.

Need a couple things to fall in place, but vibes are increasing

We are holding you totally accountable for the success or failure of this off-season. No pressure.

This latest round of departures wipes out any extra depth and experience Wake might have had from the Covid season rules. That is unfortunate. Experienced players are valuable come tournament time.
Can't get to the tournament without talent, and the talent we had wasn't going to get us there.

Minnesota's Jamal Mashburn Jr. (6-2 combo guard) has entered the portal. WF was a finalist for him and he visited. Mashburn came on at the end of the season. He scored double figures in 8 of the Gophers last 9 games, including 18 to close the season against tOSU in the Big 10 tourney.

It would be ironic if Jamal Mashburn, Jr. helped address our March woes.

We are holding you totally accountable for the success or failure of this off-season. No pressure.

This is the moment I've been training my entire boards career for. We will vibe as a community again. Just a matter of time.

Can't get to the tournament without talent, and the talent we had wasn't going to get us there.

Keeping DuBose and/or Jalen Johnson would not have any impact on the five open scholarships. They would have been scholarships 14 and 15.

Keeping DuBose and/or Jalen Johnson would not have any impact on the five open scholarships. They would have been scholarships 14 and 15.
And keeping them wasn't going to be the difference in whether we get to the tournament, which is the point I was making.

I'd argue any time between now and August.

Nothing keeping us from landing some players in the near-term... With all of these players in the portal, I think there is some urgency on their end to find a good fit and take advantage of it. I suspect Forbes will push to sign at least 1-2 in the next month or so. Can't just have 5 open scholarships sitting there.

But I know nothing.

seems like it should be a buyers market and people will want to take a spot quickly, but i guess we'll see.

seems like it should be a buyers market and people will want to take a spot quickly, but i guess we'll see.

In a buyers market, the high end buyers can afford to be patient and choosy. This year, Forbes is looking for the best guys, equivalent to 4 and 5 star talent. He can afford to be patient and selective because there are hundreds of guys, equivalent to the guys who left, in the portal.

Last edited:
Yeah, have to think everyone would want a 6'11" sophomore who put up 12 & 8 in the Big East. I mean, that's a no brainer.

Not exactly a "5 out" guy, but who cares?

Back