• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anonymous Rep Now Public!

What should we do with rep?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsywake

Sheikh of Smoke
Staff member
Reaction score
Since we started in March of 2011, anonymous rep has been a lightning rod for ogboards. Some love it, some hate it and most feel very passionately one way or the other. After a year of posting, and over 67,000 rep entries across the board (damn y'all), we as mods are bringing this to a vote.

There are three options, and this will be a public poll.

Option 1 - Keep rep anonymous

Option 2 - Make rep public

Option 3 - Indifferent

The major changes everyone will notice if we make rep public are: you'd obviously be able to see who reps you, and all rep counts will be reset to zero. There is no way to keep the previous reps anonymous if we do go public, so it will all be erased.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see you made it a public poll, so everyone could see who the anonymous reppers are. :jfk:

I'm going to be policing the parodies who votes, so don't even try it.

I see you made it a public poll, so everyone could see who the anonymous reppers are. :jfk:

What TWDeac said. Making it public proves to everyone, regardless of which gets majority, that parodies werent casting votes.

On the one hand, making rep public would reduce the agenda-driven negreppers who just negrep the person, not the post. It would also make posting more real since people frequently turn their posts into tags to avoid negrep for unpopular posts.

On the other hand, anon rep does make you more attentive to what you post.

Bah fuck it. I dunno. I say public. Of course, my original idea was to make rep viewable to those who donate to the board's upkeep etc. Certainly would raise drug... I mean software and bandwidth money.

Wasn't even thinking about that, but that is a good reason to make the poll public.

I understand the argument for anonymous, but unfortunately too many people can't seem to handle it with any shred of maturity. And this is coming from an immature person.

Why erase all the old rep? If Public wins then there should be a followup vote of whether to keep all old rep and just make you get to see who gave it.

Just get rid of it. Between all the whiners who get their panties in a bunch every time someone calls them a bad word in rep and all the cowardly douchebags who use the system to leave abusive, personal, and irrelevant rep, it's pretty obvious a substantial portion of posters here simply can't handle reputation and we're better off without it.

Definitely think the "agenda-driven" negreppers or neg rep stalkers should be warned and/or outed. Example: the person who neg repped Stan Gable on the DUI thread, which is probably the only reason this poll is happening (I feel like we have had about 3 other polls on this same topic).

Voted indifferent. My problem was with a moderator who decided to get personal on a thread about a WFU tragedy.

I sometimes get in troll negrep mood, usually try to make them so ridiculous they're comical. I negrepped the masters thread this weekend. That alone should be be comical enough.

Definitely think the "agenda-driven" negreppers or neg rep stalkers should be warned and/or outed. Example: the person who neg repped Stan Gable on the DUI thread, which is probably the only reason this poll is happening (I feel like we have had about 3 other polls on this same topic).

We've only had one other poll on this subject started by the mod team for feedback purposes that happened shortly after the board's creation. It's obviously been a major topic of discussion though, and with a year under our belts we thought it appropriate to re-check the pulse of the boards on this issue.

The problem with just outing/warning people is that 1) It's time consuming to constantly police rep in that way and 2) It can be fairly subjective as to when a line has been crossed in many cases.

Thanks for waiting for me to get my deacon before this was put to a vote!

I think it should be public, for reasons already listed above.

Had a dream last night that the whole world had anonymous rep capabilities. I went around rep'ing everything I saw, both positive and negative. Some woman got really mad when I gave neg rep about her son being a fatty. The kid was literally just eating an birthday cake with his hands.

RJK is not going to be happy about this development

starting a mere 20 pts away from a red bar

the neg reppers have been destroying his rep pts these past few mos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back