• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Eagle Scouts Returning Awards

Do you agree with their actions?

• Former Boy Scout (non-Eagle) - in support

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • Former Boy Scout (non-Eagle) - do not support

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Eagle Scout - I'm sending mine back

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Eagle Scout - I support them, but wont send mine back

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Eagle Scout - I do no support what they're doing

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Former Girl Scout - support

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Former Girl Scout - do not support

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

tsywake

Sheikh of Smoke
Staff member
Reaction score
After the recent announcement from the Boy Scouts to ban gays from its membership, there was quite a bit of discussion on the CT and Chick-Fila thread about their stance. A movement has started where Eagle's are now returning their awards in protest in response to the announcement. Townie posted this on his FB page, but since he's not posting I thought I'd share it. We have quite a few Eagle Scouts on here, what are your thoughts?

Link to the movement

I won't. Never came up during my time in the scouts and I know I helped my community via my Eagle project.

Why do you have to be an Eagle Scout to agree with their actions?

Why do you have to be an Eagle Scout to agree with their actions?

you don't, i think he just wanted to see the statistics among posters who participated in scouting.

Some may have participated in scouting, gotten a life and stopped before becoming Eagle Scouts. :)

you don't, i think he just wanted to see the statistics among posters who participated in scouting.

This. While I appreciate the opinions of those who never were a Scout, I'm seeking the opinions of those who have been in Scouting.

former Girl Scout (with my Gold), and I support what they're doing... but (sadly) I don't think it will change BSA's stance, nor will it really affect them at all. I hope I'm wrong. If it was GSUSA doing this, I would give my Gold and Silver back...thankfully GSUSA is an open and accepting organization.

What I don't understand is if part of the reason is to protect the boys from possible molestation, why do they still allow hetero female scout leaders? Being gay =/= being a pedophile.

former Girl Scout (with my Gold), and I support what they're doing... but (sadly) I don't think it will change BSA's stance, nor will it really affect them at all. I hope I'm wrong. If it was GSUSA doing this, I would give my Gold and Silver back...thankfully GSUSA is an open and accepting organization.

What I don't understand is if part of the reason is to protect the boys from possible molestation, why do they still allow hetero female scout leaders? Being gay =/= being a pedophile.

Are girl scouts more or less relevant and interesting than the wnba?

it's pretty obvious they just don't want gay people to be in leadership roles because they don't think being gay is okay. it won't really change in the foreseeable future, because the gay couples who have young boys probably won't let their kids join and there will always be a pretty tough screening process from all the parents when it comes to approving new scoutmasters. the fact of the matter is, BSA does more good than harm in every community. this sucks, but as being homosexual continues to become more and more accepted perhaps we'll see a change.

I'll be honest, Girl Scouts is a city in decline. THey're effing with the programs and the concept of earning badges (a la merit badges) is becoming a thing of the past. They're turning it into weaksauce 'Journey Books'. I still think it's a valuable organization and girls will take good experiences from it, but it's shooting itself in the foot as far as legitimacy is concerned. I feel like they're devaluing the organization and what it means to actually accomplish things in it. If I have daughters, I'll have to check out what the organization is like before I think about signing them up... or I'll just be the leader and use their ideas as guidelines (but take the girls camping and whatnot instead).

Cookies are still delicious, though.

is there a scouting group that is not bigoted? someone should start one that isnt built on christianity and the associated bigotry as id like for my future kids to join (also why segregate boy/girl?).

I only it made it through Cub Scouts before bailing on the whole idea, but if I had awards, I'd send them back. Such a disappointing thing from an organization that otherwise teaches kids good habits.

is there a scouting group that is not bigoted? someone should start one that isnt built on christianity and the associated bigotry as id like for my future kids to join (also why segregate boy/girl?).

boy scouts is over 100 years old. everything was separate then. girl scouts nealy as old, and was started in response to boy scouts. they grew separately over the years. there's a faction of boy scouts called 'venture scouts' that do more of the camping/adventures - that is boys and girls.

even as a humongous tomboy, i still believe there are definitely benefits to having separate organizations for boys and girls. not in a 'boys can do these activities and girls cannot', but just the idea of accomplishing things in a peer group. for girls especially, it's much more empowering.

you don't have to be christian at all, big misconception. no requirements to go to church or anything. if you get angry about songs that have "god" in them, can't help you there.

and little kids, scouts or not, are probably more likely to call each other "gay" and "f----ot" regardless so he will encounter such bigotry.

boy scouts is over 100 years old. everything was separate then. girl scouts nealy as old, and was started in response to boy scouts. they grew separately over the years. there's a faction of boy scouts called 'venture scouts' that do more of the camping/adventures - that is boys and girls.

even as a humongous tomboy, i still believe there are definitely benefits to having separate organizations for boys and girls. not in a 'boys can do these activities and girls cannot', but just the idea of accomplishing things in a peer group. for girls especially, it's much more empowering.

i meant more as far as creating a new org. have one group and have breakouts for age/sex that come together for some things and do some things separately.

Back