• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Eagle Scouts Returning Awards

Do you agree with their actions?

• Former Boy Scout (non-Eagle) - in support

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • Former Boy Scout (non-Eagle) - do not support

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Eagle Scout - I'm sending mine back

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Eagle Scout - I support them, but wont send mine back

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Eagle Scout - I do no support what they're doing

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Former Girl Scout - support

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Former Girl Scout - do not support

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
you obviously have never been to any meetings. it never came up. i wasn't brainwashed to HATE THE GHEYS (i agree with you that they should be allowed to lead, you moron).

I NEVER SAID THEY DISCUSSED IT. they have a policy that discriminates though. that is probably worse than some rogue troop leader disparaging the gays.

While I completely disagree with the position of th BSA, I think that a better solution to the issue is for a group to start a legitimate competing organization. BSA is a private organization that can do whatever the hell they want, good or bad. Hell, based on public sentiment so far, it's not inconceivable that a fair number of current Boy/Eagle scouts would lead the charge on such a new org. Wouldn't be all that different from what the Episcopal Church just did (though with the opposite group doing the splitting).

I was actively involved in scouts for a very long team. Sexuality was never discussed. Religion was discussed only in optional contexts. While churches sponsor many troops, many are also sponsored by other organizations, including secular organizations as well as non-Christian religious organizations I believe. Frankly, my troop never had much of anything to do with our chartering organizations (was initially a civic organization which dissolved so we switched to a church). I believe this is fairly common.

I will be looking more into this issue though. The ban on gay leaders was one thing (not a good thing), but if this recent policy goes beyond that it could be much worse.

Ours was similar. Our Troop met in a Ruritan Building. I also achieved my God and Country award, but as you said, it was optional. I had to go back and look, since I havent been involved with Scouts since 1995, at what constitutes the Family Life merit badge. While dealing with family situations, from what I've found and can remember it doesnt specifically discuss heterosexual relationships as being correct. IMO, if the BSA were to try to use one of their merit badges as a platform for their anti-gay agenda, this would be the one.

Family Life Merit Badge Requirement

While I completely disagree with the position of th BSA, I think that a better solution to the issue is for a group to start a legitimate competing organization. BSA is a private organization that can do whatever the hell they want, good or bad. Hell, based on public sentiment so far, it's not inconceivable that a fair number of current Boy/Eagle scouts would lead the charge on such a new org. Wouldn't be all that different from what the Episcopal Church just did (though with the opposite group doing the splitting).

that's what i was asking about. if one of these exists. id love start one, but i think it would carry more weight for someone with a sscouting background to do it (i also dont have kids, so people might think im a perv).

yes, the national organization DOES have a policy that limits people for unfair reasons. i get what you're saying. i just wanted to clarify that being in BSA didn't make me a gay hatin' uberchristian, and that's the case for most people who go through the program.

yes, the national organization DOES have a policy that limits people for unfair reasons. i get what you're saying. i just wanted to clarify that being in BSA didn't make me a gay hatin' uberchristian, and that's the case for most people who go through the program.

oh no that isnt what i was saying (just that you are a dork, obvi). i never even insinuated scout leaders do it. i do believe taht by the national group discriminating in that way the group is vilifying the gays. that's why i applaud the eagle scouts thata rent proud of that decision and are doing tehir part to change the org. as someone said, perhaps they should take it a step further to start rainbow scouts.

all the easy girls would be in rainbow scouts. there's defs be a merit badge for creating various types of pot smoking devices.

oh no that isnt what i was saying (just that you are a dork, obvi). i never even insinuated scout leaders do it. i do believe taht by the national group discriminating in that way the group is vilifying the gays. that's why i applaud the eagle scouts thata rent proud of that decision and are doing tehir part to change the org. as someone said, perhaps they should take it a step further to start rainbow scouts.

i have no problem with you calling me a dork, but when we get in a plane crash in the woods and you ask how to not get eaten by a bear, i might tell you the wrong advice.

Last edited:
i have no problem with you calling me a dork, but when we get in a plane crash in the woods and you ask how not to get eaten by a bear, i might tell you the wrong advice.

That's easy. Throw the bear the guy you don't like. While he eats him, we can get away.

that looks pretty gay. rainbow scouts will pawn it.

i have no problem with you calling me a dork, but when we get in a plane crash in the woods and you ask how to not get eaten by a bear, i might tell you the wrong advice.

Uh, you just tell all the ladies to walk in one direction and that you will lead the bears in the other, knowing full well that the bears can smell their blood.

Uh, you just tell all the ladies to walk in one direction and that you will lead the bears in the other, knowing full well that the bears can smell their blood.

BLOOD AND HONEY?

I quit the scouts cause I thought they were gay. Sucks for them that they are a bunch of closeted self-loathers too. Clearly they are uncomfortable with their own sexuality.

I never participated in Boy Scouts. The thought of structured outdoor activity was terrible to me. When summer hit, I wanted to be out in the woods building forts and shit on my own, not with rules and such.

I'll be honest, Girl Scouts is a city in decline. THey're effing with the programs and the concept of earning badges (a la merit badges) is becoming a thing of the past. They're turning it into weaksauce 'Journey Books'. I still think it's a valuable organization and girls will take good experiences from it, but it's shooting itself in the foot as far as legitimacy is concerned. I feel like they're devaluing the organization and what it means to actually accomplish things in it. If I have daughters, I'll have to check out what the organization is like before I think about signing them up... or I'll just be the leader and use their ideas as guidelines (but take the girls camping and whatnot instead).

Cookies are still delicious, though.
But now there's like 4 in a box.

I never participated in Boy Scouts. The thought of structured outdoor activity was terrible to me. When summer hit, I wanted to be out in the woods building forts and shit on my own, not with rules and such.

i mean, it's not like being in scouts would have ruled your entire life; it's a meeting once a week (and often times not through the summer, with the exception of a week at camp where you just blow stuff up in the fire anyway).

you just said they vilify them. IT DOESN'T COME UP AT ALL. They aren't telling thirteen year olds that gay people are evil, much less address sexuality AT ALL.

Well this isn't true. Part of getting your Scout is having to go through that booklet that basically says tell your parents if you get molested and don't touch girls inappropriately.

We met each Monday from 7-9 and would camp one weekend a month except in December. January we "camped" in a National Guard Armory as part of a merit badge weekend. We went to camp for one week in July.

Back