• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Eagle Scouts Returning Awards

Do you agree with their actions?

• Former Boy Scout (non-Eagle) - in support

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • Former Boy Scout (non-Eagle) - do not support

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Eagle Scout - I'm sending mine back

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Eagle Scout - I support them, but wont send mine back

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Eagle Scout - I do no support what they're doing

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Former Girl Scout - support

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Former Girl Scout - do not support

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
Well this isn't true. Part of getting your Scout is having to go through that booklet that basically says tell your parents if you get molested and don't touch girls inappropriately.

those seem like common sense things that would be addressed beforehand, hence why it is part of the "scout" ranking.

I understand what these Eagles are trying to do, but I think officially banding together and forming some kind of "Eagle Scouts for Inclusion" or something like that group would be more effective.

i mean, it's not like being in scouts would have ruled your entire life; it's a meeting once a week (and often times not through the summer, with the exception of a week at camp where you just blow stuff up in the fire anyway).

Yeah, that was a 5-10 year old kid's mindset. In hindsight I think it would have been pretty cool.

I'll give my $.02 to say that I have been working on my draft of my letter.

I will be returning my Eagle Scout badge along with it. Of the millions of kids that go through Boy Scouts growing up, less than 1% become Eagle Scouts. The numbers of people in this campaign writing letters and returning their badges might not be big, and it may not stand up to a large institution, but if I can be part of a voice against the bigotry, I'd like to. I still have my flag that was flown over Congress and my letter from Richard Burr, but more than any of those things, a badge, a spot on a resume, etc., I have some of the best and most formative experiences of my life to look back proudly upon. Say what you will about the Boy Scouts of America, but if you live by its tenets, to be "trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent," you will be a better man.

As a footnote, one of my best friends growing up was in Scouts with me, and didn't come out til after he graduated high school, a ways into college. We did everything in Scouts together, and helped each other out with our projects and many of our experiences along the way (queue lame gay joke). I probably wouldn't have stuck with it if it weren't for friends like him. This segregation is no better than "separate but equal" was for race, and it's a black eye on an otherwise proud institution.

K, back to hibernation now.

I think that is the general idea of renouncement. No longer being associated with the organization in that particular way.

Also, I need to reiterate this: PhDeac and DeacPhan, you guys are pussies. That can't be said enough.

Quite the call out for someone who just posted they essentially believe that gay people are second class citizens and actually has no christian moral foundation they are falling back on, since your belief that they shouldn't be allowed to marry and are an athiest you pretty much have no excuse.

I think that is the general idea of renouncement. No longer being associated with the organization in that particular way.

Also, I need to reiterate this: PhDeac and DeacPhan, you guys are pussies. That can't be said enough.

ok buddy.

An Eagle Scout considers carefully his decisions before acting rashly against the values that he has established for himself. This can take years or it can take seconds.

orly_bowie.jpg

Last edited:
I'm fairly sure I can't remember a single notable thing you've ever posted until now, so I have no frame of reference with which to retort.

As a footnote, one of my best friends growing up was in Scouts with me, and didn't come out til after he graduated high school, a ways into college. We did everything in Scouts together, and helped each other out with our projects and many of our experiences along the way (queue lame gay joke).

Did he help you with your Pitch A Tent merit badge?

I'm fairly sure I can't remember a single notable thing you've ever posted until now, so I have no frame of reference with which to retort.

same boat. oh well. i'm pretty sure that calling people pussies on the internet and being a general internet warrior is the definition of a pussy, but whatever.

this thread is going places.

So the only people who should have rights are those protected by the Constitution? That's what I take this to mean:

Personally, I could care less about "gay rights," because they aren't a class protected by the constitution.

This also contradicts with the first line which says you "value individual rights", oh like marriage? Or is marriage not an "individual right"?

Well this isn't true. Part of getting your Scout is having to go through that booklet that basically says tell your parents if you get molested and don't touch girls inappropriately.

What does that have to do with their gay policy?

i'm also not sure what gay marriage has to do with barring gays from BSA.

This is a terrible thread. There are just so many dumb and irrational thoughts being posted that it's hard to even know where to start to break it down.

It seems I have assumed too much about the legal education of the Pit.

I understand all about protected classes within the Constitution. I just don't know why you think that the only rights that should be protected have to be enumerated within the Constitution and was asking if there are any rights you support not within the Constitution. I understand that the right to marry is not explicitly stated anywhere in the Constitution.

Back