• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Eagle Scouts Returning Awards

Do you agree with their actions?

• Former Boy Scout (non-Eagle) - in support

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • Former Boy Scout (non-Eagle) - do not support

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Eagle Scout - I'm sending mine back

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Eagle Scout - I support them, but wont send mine back

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Eagle Scout - I do no support what they're doing

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Former Girl Scout - support

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Former Girl Scout - do not support

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
i meant more as far as creating a new org. have one group and have breakouts for age/sex that come together for some things and do some things separately.

like school?

sorry, being facetious.

as far as i'm concerned, go for the gold. i think there are lots of camps and whatnot that work to those ideas right now, but it's hard to combat something as large as boy scouts/girl scouts.

I'll be honest, Girl Scouts is a city in decline. THey're effing with the programs and the concept of earning badges (a la merit badges) is becoming a thing of the past. They're turning it into weaksauce 'Journey Books'. I still think it's a valuable organization and girls will take good experiences from it, but it's shooting itself in the foot as far as legitimacy is concerned. I feel like they're devaluing the organization and what it means to actually accomplish things in it. If I have daughters, I'll have to check out what the organization is like before I think about signing them up... or I'll just be the leader and use their ideas as guidelines (but take the girls camping and whatnot instead).

Cookies are still delicious, though.

This is exactly what my mom did. When she stopped leading, I stopped being in it.

you don't have to be christian at all, big misconception. no requirements to go to church or anything. if you get angry about songs that have "god" in them, can't help you there.

and little kids, scouts or not, are probably more likely to call each other "gay" and "f----ot" regardless so he will encounter such bigotry.

i could care less about songs with "god" in them. my point is to the bigotry of the organizationw hich i assumed was based on their religious principals. why the bigotry then?

as far as kids calling each other "gay," that's something that is inevitable, but enrolling your kid in an organization that vilifies and discriminates against people is much worse than kids acting like kids.

sorry, being facetious.

as far as i'm concerned, go for the gold. i think there are lots of camps and whatnot that work to those ideas right now, but it's hard to combat something as large as boy scouts/girl scouts.

i dont really care about combating them. i just want my future kids to have an option, so i was wondering if there was something like that.

i could care less about songs with "god" in them. my point is to the bigotry of the organizationw hich i assumed was based on their religious principals. why the bigotry then?

as far as kids calling each other "gay," that's something that is inevitable, but enrolling your kid in an organization that vilifies and discriminates against people is much worse than kids acting like kids.

you don't have to be christian.

it doesn't come up. at all. it's really obvious that you have no idea what goes on in a typical meeting. go inform yourself and check one out, then formulate a proper opinion. just like all the bsa execs need to go to GLAAD meetings.

what the fuck are you talking about moron? i said i didnt care about that.

i dont really care about combating them. i just want my future kids to have an option, so i was wondering if there was something like that.

I think this is my calling. I'm gonna go Juliette Lowe and that hyphenated dude all over it.

you just said they vilify them. IT DOESN'T COME UP AT ALL. They aren't telling thirteen year olds that gay people are evil, much less address sexuality AT ALL.

Talking to my brother in law in law about this was maddening. "But what if there is a bigger 12 year old that could overpower another 12 year old?" :rulz:

Is there a Philmont for non BSs?

Reactions: TBR
you just said they vilify them. IT DOESN'T COME UP AT ALL. They aren't telling thirteen year olds that gay people are evil, much less address sexuality AT ALL.

they are vilifying them. their bigoted stance vilifies them. why the bigoted stance then if gays arent bad? because they are pedophiles? thats exactly what the organization is saying: gays are bad and cant be trusted around our children.

also i quit boy scouts after one meeting because it was a bunch of dorks. like hello apparently.

Talking to my brother in law in law about this was maddening. "But what if there is a bigger 12 year old that could overpower another 12 year old?" :rulz:

Is there a Philmont for non BSs?

i mean, there are plenty of national parks. :plos:

in all seriousness, venture scouts can go to philmont, northern tier, or sea base.

they are vilifying them. their bigoted stance vilifies them. why the bigoted stance then if gays arent bad? because they are pedophiles? thats exactly what the organization is saying: gays are bad and cant be trusted around our children.

you obviously have never been to any meetings. it never came up. i wasn't brainwashed to HATE THE GHEYS (i agree with you that they should be allowed to lead, you moron).

Last edited:
also i quit boy scouts after one meeting because it was a bunch of dorks. like hello apparently.

oh that's real constructive, acting like you love everyone, then being condescending. you're a real winner.

I was actively involved in scouts for a very long team. Sexuality was never discussed. Religion was discussed only in optional contexts. While churches sponsor many troops, many are also sponsored by other organizations, including secular organizations as well as non-Christian religious organizations I believe. Frankly, my troop never had much of anything to do with our chartering organizations (was initially a civic organization which dissolved so we switched to a church). I believe this is fairly common.

I will be looking more into this issue though. The ban on gay leaders was one thing (not a good thing), but if this recent policy goes beyond that it could be much worse.

i mean, there are plenty of national parks. :plos:

in all seriousness, venture scouts can go to philmont, northern tier, or sea base.

and eventually the new adventure camp they're building in WVa along the New.

...but VS is still a boy scout affiliat, so I don't know how that plays into what people are discussing here. There are certainly high adventure camps out there, though- or some sort of Outward Bound trip would be awesome.

and eventually the new adventure camp they're building in WVa along the New.

...but VS is still a boy scout affiliat, so I don't know how that plays into what people are discussing here. There are certainly high adventure camps out there, though- or some sort of Outward Bound trip would be awesome.

yeah, they could just do NOLS when they are old enough too.

NOLS. that's what i was trying to think of and could not.

Back