• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Carowhina

Not directly, but if it has no bearing whatsoever (as appears to be the case here), we sure spend a lot of time and effort following the pointless measuring stick, don't we?

Perhaps I am less willing than others to take the NCAA at their word that this was just a coincidence. If "the math" was the guide, I'm tempted to believe that it was the type of math behind the multibillion dollar entertainment contract and the attendant temptation to pair two brand names against each other in prime time being more persuasive than third grade math. I just know I'm comfortable on the side that believes money drives things and not on the side that agrees with the basketball acumen of a Committee that features Ron Wellman as a prominent member. To each his own, I suppose.

Maybe Carolina didn't beat anybody, but who was their worst loss after losing to then-ranked North Carolina State on January 26? They beat EVERYBODY they played, except teams ranked #2 or #1. I can think of worse basketball sins.

CRYING-UNC.gif

Don't know if this is what you're talking about, but committee members have to leave the room when a team from their conference is being discussed and seeded.

Oh, OK. So, they can't blame Ron! (I thought Seth was always mad at Ron for VT's getting jilted.)

I don't think anyone's objecting to #1 Kansas getting a de facto home game. They earned it. What is concerning is that the #17 RPI team gets slotted as an eight seed and has to play a road game on the opening weekend, as if they didn't just play for the ACC title and go undefeated against everybody but two seeds since January against an ACC schedule. I'm perfectly aware that most ABC'ers are going to call that whining, but to me, it's third grade math. You can't divide 17 by 4 and get 8. Or even 7. Or even 6. You barely get to 5.

If this is the part where we pretend that the NCAA isn't trying to sell a storyline during primetime on Sunday night (b/c we sincerely believe that they just happen to be a humble, nonprofit educational co-op with a multibillion dollar entertainment deal, and this plotline-in-a-jar is just the happy little coincidence they tried to hustle), fine. If you say so, but again, math.

I'm also okay with people saying "Screw reason, bad for UNC = good for me". Hey, I get it. I've done very similar things in the past, and pledge to do them in the near future at the first opportunity.

uncry1.jpg

Don't know if this is what you're talking about, but committee members have to leave the room when a team from their conference is being discussed and seeded.

Not true. Just their own school. They can be present when other schools from the conference are discussed, but can only offer input when asked.

If the committee member is the commissioner of the conference he has to leave when schools from his conference are being discussed.

Admittedly I do think that UNC was a little underseeded, but the committee made a lot of bizarre seeding decisions. For example, Oregon, Pittsburgh, and even Ole Miss fans have much more of a right to be ticked at their seeds than UNC fans, IMHO; on the other hand, some schools' seeds were inexplicably high (Marquette, Illinois). Granted the UNC / KU match-up looks pretty transparent, so I honestly just think this is a case where the motivation behind the committee's seeding incompetence (of which there is a substantial amount) was easier to dissect from the outside.

I am honestly in shock at that gif. I mean what sort of "Kansas City Faggot" ( Blazing Saddles) cries at a basketball game when you lose to a #1 Kansas team after your team has been second tier all season? And sadly I question this as a UNC fan.

Last edited:
I think some people already explained he was reacting to a blocked shot or something. More of an "ugh" than crying.

BTW, that has to be Tom Coughlin sitting below him.

This message brought to you by Ron Wellman, the 2013 Winner of the "Ron Wellman Selection Committee Perfect Attendance Award."

Back