• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Spurs Game Thread

Perhaps this kind of thing is why Duncan doesn't "help out" with current recruiting for the Deacs.

huh? he "doesn't help out recruiting for the deacs" because some comedy website will make a silly joke?

when you are reading the news make sure you look to see if it's from www.theonion.com if so that's fake news.

huh? he "doesn't help out recruiting for the deacs" because some comedy website will make a silly joke?

when you are reading the news make sure you look to see if it's from www.theonion.com if so that's fake news.

Sigh, Thanks for the tip on this thing known widely as parody.

I too was joking...carrying the joke of CollegeHumor.com further, as if the letter were real, and thinking about how a potential recruit might respond if Duncan sent them a similar letter talking about how great Wake Forest is.

When you are reading posts, make sure not to assume that every one is stupid.

Sigh, Thanks for the tip on this thing known widely as parody.

I too was joking...carrying the joke of CollegeHumor.com further, as if the letter were real, and thinking about how a potential recruit might respond if Duncan sent them a similar letter talking about how great Wake Forest is.

When you are reading posts, make sure not to assume that every one is stupid.

Why shucks... That's some golly g o o d advice. I'll try reel hard not to assume peeple are dum.

according to this it looks like jimmer's contract is partially guaranteed through the end of 2015. i guess that means he comes in as the number 15 guy to get a chance to try and fill the designated 3 pt shooter roll previously held by bellinelli.

more of a surprise is that it appears bonner's contract is only partially guaranteed as well. i guess that means they have two contracts they can waive or trade mid season if they have a more pressing need.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/san-antonio-spurs-team-salary/#

just looking over the schedule and it looks like the second half of the season features FAR more west play off teams than the first half.

ex. gsw 1/25, 4/7, 4/10. really league you are going to schedule 2 sa gsw games in 4 days and you are doing it right at the end of the season? with denver in between 4/8 that's a classic rest the old guys game for pop.

21 nationally televised and another 8 on nba tv.

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2015/8/12/9145007/spurs-2015-16-season-full-schedule

and from

http://projectspurs.com/2015-articles/spurs-release-2015-2016-regular-season-schedule.html

October: 2 games, 1 home, 1 away

November: 16 games, 8 home, 8 away, 3 back-to-backs

December: 16 games, 10 home, 6 away, 3 back-to-backs

January: 13 games, 6 home, 7 away, 2 back-to-backs

February: 12 games, 3 home, 9 away, 4 back-to-backs

March:16 games, 10 home, 6 away, 3 back-to-backs

April: 7 games, 3 home, 4 away, 2 back-to-backs

Overall, the Spurs will have 17 total back-to-back sets this season. i believe they had 21 b2bs last season. no 4 games in 5 days for spurs this season. had some last year.

on the one hand the schedule is more favorable this year compared to last in terms of rest. it's also shaping up to be really challenging with more west play off teams in the second half. we all remember december as a brutal stretch last season. getting more of the better teams second half gives pop more time to tinker with line ups and develop match ups that work while the players are developing their chemistry.

I think they're going to use David West as a backup 5 some, since Diaw to me, with his skill set is always a 4, even though listed as a 5.

Should be solid team and curious which center is the 3rd guy in the rotation behind Tim and (West or Diaw).

I think they're going to use David West as a backup 5 some, since Diaw to me, with his skill set is always a 4, even though listed as a 5.

Should be solid team and curious which center is the 3rd guy in the rotation behind Tim and (West or Diaw).

it will be interesting what they do. west has the length and strength to guard bigger guys. he's not as quick as he was but he'll be fine against most league starters (not many marc gasols around) in limited minutes and certainly hold his own against second unit guys. he'll be used like diaw is at center. limited stretches down low but pulling the other big out of the paint on offense.

also, i am pretty sure aldridge will play some minutes at center in certain match ups or late in games. he can be a really good small ball center. it won't be a ton of minutes but it will be in key situations.

i was a little worried about front court depth going in to the season since there is only one "true" center available (the EurOgre and he is a complete unknown about how he'll fit in the league. i'm guessing limited minutes against poor competition or when there are some dnp - old games). duncan is not a "true" center exactly but that's more of a formality than anything. he'll hold his own most nights against anyone while he's on the court. he'll probably play 29 mpg during the regular season like he has the last 2 years. maybe even drop to 25-27 or so if west and diaw are playing well.

i then realized the depth spurs need to replace is 20 mpg from tiago (injuries really limited him last year) and 16 from baynes. aldridge played 35 last year. he is a vast improvement over those minutes 36 total minutes he's replacing. add west and they might be able to limit him to 30 mpg. he can certainly play more, and he may, but i suspect pop will begin the minutes management program with him to keep the ship running as long as possible post timmy.

more detailed breakdown of the schedule here

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2015/8/13/9146591/analyzing-the-spurs-schedule

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/featur...thews-comeback-trail-chris-paul-qa/index.html

Duncan

"We've got a good core here. We've got a good bunch of young guys. And, obviously (we're) adding L.A. to that. As long as Danny stops sucking" -- Green, seated next to Duncan, was waiting for the zinger -- "and Kawhi is obviously on his way up and is going to be incredible, there's going to be a good team here for a long time. We've done that over the years. The organization has continued to put people into place where they're coming along, and there's no lull in what we do."

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2015/11/10/9703482/tim-duncan-spurs-kings-rehash-versatility

In a 106-88 victory with 11 different Spurs scoring a point, it's easy to forget about Tim Duncan. He played only 23 minutes, after all. His performance, albeit in a limited stint, left nothing to be desired. 11 points, 14 rebounds, 2 assists and 50 percent shooting. Extrapolated over 36 minutes, that's 17 points, 22 rebounds and 3 assists.
Duncan's role has been tricky to define with the new additions to the team. The other roles, while still a work-in-progress, are easier to project. Kawhi is the alpha dog, the guy who guards the best perimeter defender and runs the show. Aldridge will hoist up mid-range shots, defend, rebound, and assimilate into the Spurs system. Parker will create offense when necessary. Green's task is to defend, shoot 3-pointers and not dribble the ball too much. Manu, Diaw and Mills share the offensive burden when the starters need a break. Boban is there to be freakishly tall and take up space. When Bonner playes, he can shoot 3-pointers and space the floor for his teammates.
So what exactly is Duncan's role? We don't know, which is a credit to Duncan. He can score, though he hasn't needed to this season and likely won't shoulder much of the offensive load. He's fifth on the team in usage rate. He can rebound, pass, knock down the mid-range shot, create a fast break opportunity, operate a pick-and-pop, set a crushing pick to free his teammate, protect the rim, hug Tony Parker, whatever. Even at his advanced age, there isn't anything on a basketball court that Tim Duncan can't and will not do. There are not many better defenders than 39-year-old Duncan. That's not hyperbole, it's basketball fact.
His adjustment may take awhile longer than the rest because his job responsibility may change game-to-game depending on the opponent and the production of his teammates. He literally embodies the sports cliche of a glue guy. Whenever the Spurs need someone to step up in an area, Gregg Popovich's first option will be Tim Duncan to clean up the mess.

The Spurs are getting old. They're like the law school team (esp Ginobili) that kills younger, more athletic teams in the intramurals. Getting it done (and yes, with Kawhi and LaMarcus, getting the next gen ready), but still old.

Back