• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best rock band post 1995

duh.

images

Creed.jpg

Foo Fighters are consistently good and have a great drummer. I buy their albums generally and have been to some of their concerts. Dave Grohl is a fine songwriter.

They are really good, but not great IMO. There, I said it. and, and my wife thinks I'm crazy, but they annoy me onstage when I see them live. It looks contrived to me - all that bouncing around and hair slinging. i don't know, they look like they are trying too hard.

That said, you're right they are probably the best mainstream band since 1995. What does that say about music since then?

My vote goes to Wilco.

Foo Fighters are consistently good and have a great drummer. I buy their albums generally and have been to some of their concerts. Dave Grohl is a fine songwriter.

They are really good, but not great IMO. There, I said it. and, and my wife thinks I'm crazy, but they annoy me onstage when I see them live. It looks contrived to me - all that bouncing around and hair slinging. i don't know, they look like they are trying too hard.

That said, you're right they are probably the best mainstream band since 1995. What does that say about music since then?

My vote goes to Wilco.

mmmmmm disagree. But I guess that is what it is all about.

I think they are the least contrived band since the grunge days. They just go out and play...no frills and no act. I have always loved their (especially Grohl's) stage presence. He seems to be self deprecating and does not think he is saving the world.

I will never forget when I saw them at a festival in Charlotte and in between songs you could hear a Neil Diamond tribute band playing in the back ground. Grohl asked "Is that Neil Diamond?" When he found out it was a tribute band he said "Nel Diamond tribute band...that is some serious shit! Why are you watching us?" They they proceeded to play along on Sweet Caroline.

Check out the Foo Fighter's documentary if you can. It's called Back and Forth, and it was on VH1 Classic recently, followed by their Wembley concert. Great movie. I've always like Foo Fighters but never loved them.

Check out the Foo Fighter's documentary if you can. It's called Back and Forth, and it was on VH1 Classic recently, followed by their Wembley concert. Great movie. I've always like Foo Fighters but never loved them.

You have to admit that their acoustic version of Everlong on Howard was AMAZING!

I think they are the least contrived band since the grunge days. They just go out and play...no frills and no act. I have always loved their (especially Grohl's) stage presence. He seems to be self deprecating and does not think he is saving the world.

I will never forget when I saw them at a festival in Charlotte and in between songs you could hear a Neil Diamond tribute band playing in the back ground. Grohl asked "Is that Neil Diamond?" When he found out it was a tribute band he said "Nel Diamond tribute band...that is some serious shit! Why are you watching us?" They they proceeded to play along on Sweet Caroline.

I was at that show, but barely coherent. The Neil Diamond band (they played on after the Foo Fighters finished up) was fantastic.

I was at that show too. Steve Winwood was playing nearby too, am I right? :cool:

Interesting how a band can leave a totally different impression. You're right, that's what it is all about. I do enjoy me some Foo.

Widespread Panic - agreed the hand drum solos are a bit monotonous (and i'm a lifelong drummer) but man that John Bell can sing and I just love the groovy Schools/Nance rhythm section. good, good times there

How crazy is that...3 of us were at the same show. And that had to have been close to 10 years ago.

Was the Neil Diamond tribute band that was playing "Super Diamond"? They have a serious cult following.

There's this local drunk here who fronts the Neil Diamond All-Stars and they play once every few years, but it isn't anything serious. Hell of a time, though; he just stands up there with a cooler full of Peebers and rocks out with, like, a fifteen piece backing band of whoever he can find.

How crazy is that...3 of us were at the same show. And that had to have been close to 10 years ago.

It would have been the spring (April/May) of 2003. Got hammered. I mean HAMMERED. Some HS kid asked me to go buy beer for him and his girl right before the Foo Fighters started playing. Gave me like $40 to do it. Went out, got 2 big beers, and the kid was gone. Oh well.

I was so enthralled with the Neil Diamond cover band in my hops-infused haze that I apparently missed out on a dirty-hot girl staring me down. A buddy gave me shit about that for weeks.

If memory serves, Kid Rock played to close out the festival on Sunday night.

most anoying concert I have ever seen. No exaggeration...15 MINUTE HAND DRUM SOLO! I wanted to kill myself.

You know, that's all right, man. I have a different take. A real different take. But the fact that you tried to listen to it and decided it wasn't for you...I respect that, man. I do. I'm sure you can appreciate it as a form of music, you know? Just not one you particularly enjoy. We should hang out. Pos rep to you.

Back