• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best rock band post 1995

It would have been the spring (April/May) of 2003. Got hammered. I mean HAMMERED. Some HS kid asked me to go buy beer for him and his girl right before the Foo Fighters started playing. Gave me like $40 to do it. Went out, got 2 big beers, and the kid was gone. Oh well.

I was so enthralled with the Neil Diamond cover band in my hops-infused haze that I apparently missed out on a dirty-hot girl staring me down. A buddy gave me shit about that for weeks.

If memory serves, Kid Rock played to close out the festival on Sunday night.

You are correct. I am not a big Kid Rock fan but that was a VERY good show.

Maybe Skins wasn't properly medicated for his WSP show.

Believe it or not...I was born and raised in Asheville, attended App State for 4 years and I have never smoked marijuana. The weird thing is I have nothing against it I just never did it. I would probably try it now that I am old enough that I know I could handle it but I am randomly drug tested at work.

Believe it or not...I was born and raised in Asheville, attended App State for 4 years and I have never smoked marijuana. The weird thing is I have nothing against it I just never did it. I would probably try it now that I am old enough that I know I could handle it but I am randomly drug tested at work.

It's not for everyone. I never liked cocaine much but a bunch of people I knew that didn't care for weed just couldn't seem to get enough blow - until their lives were a shambles.

I think we discussed this on the old board, but my memory escapes me sometimes. what years were you at App?

I like the Foo Fighters (have seen them in concert a few times), but I've never loved them. Grohl just comes off as too much of an ass. I think the best post-1995 rock band is Shinedown. Their songwriting is excellent, and Brent Smith's voice is as powerful as any of the lead grunge singers. They've gotten a lot more pop radio play over the past two years or so, but their shows are insane and most of their lyrics carry undertones (or outright statements) similar to AIC. They released a double-live CD a few weeks ago, one CD is electric and one is acoustic. Both are really good.

LOL @ Nickelback

As for the contrived nature of FF performances, I can only say that the older I get, the more I enjoy the silly schtick and onstage banter. I saw REO Speedwagon this past weekend and Kevin Cronin was awesome at all that stuff. Saw Whitesnake too and Coverdale was highly entertaining with his commentary too, though it was more casual babble and an entirely different kind of rock star banter.

lol...someone neg reped me for not smoking marijuana.

I'm surprised no one has said Radiohead or Red Hot Chili Peppers yet. They both formed pre 1995 but have probably enjoyed most of their success since then. Neither are favorites of mine but they are both very good bands.

I can't believe someone would say Nickelback. Or Shinedown for that matter. Next thing you know someone is going to come in here and say Creed.

I second the shout outs for The National and Wilco. And though I'm not a fan, I guess one could include Interpol(damn they've got a shitload of fans out there).

I'm surprised no one has said Radiohead or Red Hot Chili Peppers yet. They both formed pre 1995 but have probably enjoyed most of their success since then. Neither are favorites of mine but they are both very good bands.

I can't believe someone would say Nickelback. Or Shinedown for that matter. Next thing you know someone is going to come in here and say Creed.

I think Radiohead has been avoided due to the focus on mainstream bands. RHCP have probably not been mentioned because their best stuff was pre-1995.

The Killers probably deserve some kind of mention in this thread. They've managed to vary their style from album to album and still remain relevant.

I second the shout outs for The National and Wilco.

+1 to both.

Barely was familiar with The National until the release of High Violet. Own their entire catalog now, and have listened to them way more than any band over the last 12 months.

These clowns don't hold a candle to Collective Soul.

I like the Foo Fighters (have seen them in concert a few times), but I've never loved them. Grohl just comes off as too much of an ass. I think the best post-1995 rock band is Shinedown. Their songwriting is excellent, and Brent Smith's voice is as powerful as any of the lead grunge singers. They've gotten a lot more pop radio play over the past two years or so, but their shows are insane and most of their lyrics carry undertones (or outright statements) similar to AIC. They released a double-live CD a few weeks ago, one CD is electric and one is acoustic. Both are really good.

Collective Soul played at App my Jr (?) year. There were scheduled to play in our large basketball gym but they could not sell enough tickets so the organizers moved them to the on campus club. They were so pissed about the move they put on one of the worst shows I have ever seen. It was obvious they were pissed.

Back