• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best rock band post 1995

Oooh, good call on Muse.

Muse opened for U2 on their last tour until the show in Norman, OK, which was, of course, the show I saw. Who opened for U2 then? The frigging Black Eyed Peas. Ugh. What a letdown.

Oooh, good call on Muse.

Muse opened for U2 on their last tour until the show in Norman, OK, which was, of course, the show I saw. Who opened for U2 then? The frigging Black Eyed Peas. Ugh. What a letdown.

That sucks, Muse opened the one I saw at Carter-Finley in Raleigh. I was definitely more excited to see Muse than U2. Muse did not disappoint.

The-National.jpg

This. Definitely.

Though if the temporal parameters were expanded to 1990, Radiohead would win in a landslide.

Foo Fighters were the first band that came to mind before I opened the thread (but I have really boring mainstream music taste).

Grohl gets bonus cool points for telling Ryan Murphy (Glee) to fuck himself

This thread is a sad commentary on the rock music scene the last 15 years.

And Angry Naked Deac is right, it's DBT.

Panic formed a couple of years after Phish. They are way pre 1995.

I would agree that it is a sad commentary on rock music.

Drive By Truckers? I saw them once and they were OK.

Last edited:
If you look beyond arena rock bands, there are plenty of good bands that have formed since 1995.

If you look beyond arena rock bands, there are plenty of good bands that have formed since 1995.

Agree with that, the state of the music scene isn't bad when you dig below the surface, but for this category, it ain't so good.

Panic formed a couple of years after Phish. They are way pre 1995.

I would agree that it is a sad commentary on rock music.

Drive By Truckers? I saw them once and they were OK.

At risk of being terribly offensive - are you fucking retarded? You saw a DBT live show and all you can say is "they were OK"?

Oy.

Music is a subjective experience. I thought the GD were generally incredible, some people hated them, some thought they were OK.

Plus, it depends on the night. I have seen Phish and the GD range from eh to freakin' blowin' my mind.

Others love Widespread Panic and think they are great but they never really did much for me.

My friend told me the Heavy Pets were great but to me they sounded like jam band dujour.

Last edited:
I think the reason that rock music is in such shambles is because there are not many modern rock radio stations left. There are plenty of pop, country and classic rock but not many playing new rock music. DC 101 here in DC does but they are one of the few left.

I love Wilco (my favorite band) but they formed in 1994 from the remnants of Uncle Tupelo (Sun Volt being the other band to form). I guess they really put out some albums after 1995.

I also love My Morning Jacket.

I love Wilco (my favorite band) but they formed in 1994 from the remnants of Uncle Tupelo (Sun Volt being the other band to form). I guess they really put out some albums after 1995.

I also love My Morning Jacket.

First Wilco album isn't really a Wilco album, per se, so I think they're a good nominee.

AFI? What are you, a 12 year old emo kid?

Sorry, but I'm a music snob. AFI is actually decent. Good songwriters, but not my cup of tea, obviously.

AFI? What are you, a 12 year old emo kid?

Sorry, but I'm a music snob. AFI is actually decent. Good songwriters, but not my cup of tea, obviously.

Haha hey they have everything that fits the bill for a great rock band: Dynamic frotn man, great live, multiple good albums

Really just the first band that popped into my mind when thinking of good rock bands post GNR.

Rock was on live support for awhile, and if I had to pick a band that I think was most responsible for carrying the torch until rock came back to life it would be Tool, but I'm sure they predated 1995.

Back