• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

We need to start a tie-dye t shirt campaign and show up at all of his upcoming games in large numbers. Maybe they say "Giles...WakeTheNation" or some other corny shit like that. Let's not let him forget for even 1 second how much he would mean to this program

maybe the screen name is a (poor grammar) hint that the poster is Mrs. Randolph Childress

Nah. I think it's "I'm is S. Randolph."

This is huge. You'd think Shavlik's sauces would be pro-Duke.

freak -

Respectfully, I assume your suggesting that Giles would likely have multiple games of 35 points, 20 rebounds, 6 blocks and 7 steals in his one season at Wake while at Duke, he'd have a 'team' season similar to Okafor going deep into the dance. I agree.

I don't agree on the development angle for 2 reasons. First the obvious - this kid is already a lock top 3 pick and ready now to play in the NBA as a multi millionaire. Second, I've seen no tangible evidence that Manning has or been directly/singularly credited with developing any big kid at Kansas or Tulsa for the NBA within 1-years time.

Frankly, I'm convinced our only real hope in this has been/is the angle of Chris Paul and to a slightly lesser extent, the brief meeting/balling with Tim Duncan on Wake's behalf.

I actually agree with you that all of these coaches, Manning included, probably can't make a huge imprint on these players with only one year to work with. But I also think that players (like everybody else) primarily develop by being put in situations that force them to grow. Of Giles' remaining options, Wake is the place that will require the most out of him in order to succeed. Therefore, I think Wake represents the best opportunity for him to develop his skills.

I actually agree with you that all of these coaches, Manning included, probably can't make a huge imprint on these players with only one year to work with. But I also think that players (like everybody else) primarily develop by being put in situations that force them to grow. Of Giles' remaining options, Wake is the place that will require the most out of him in order to succeed. Therefore, I think Wake represents the best opportunity for him to develop his skills.

On the other hand, Duke is far closer to an NBA level roster than Wake is, so in terms of preparing him for NBA type pace of play/defensive intensity, it's probably Duke that's a better prep for the pros, player development skills in 1 season notwithstanding.

But fuck that,

VIBES!

Oh God, we're gonna go into this debate again?

I'll show myself the door.

tumblr_m4v49yzlmY1qcxjv8o1_500.jpg

On the other hand, Duke is far closer to an NBA level roster than Wake is, so in terms of preparing him for NBA type pace of play/defensive intensity, it's probably Duke that's a better prep for the pros, player development skills in 1 season notwithstanding.

But fuck that,

VIBES!

Duke has 18 current NBA players compared to Wake's 6 despite the fact they've had "NBA level rosters" for awhile now. Duke is barely more than a conduit to the pros. Doesn't matter for Harry though.

I would imagine that Giles could play a position at Wake that is more suited to his skill set and more suited to what he will do/play in the NBA. It seems that bigs fall into one of two categories at Duke. If they can handle the ball and shoot from three, they play more of a small forward position. Guys like Singler, Battier, Winslow, etc. My understanding is that though Giles is athletic, can run the floor, has decent handles for his size, etc., he is not a perimeter oriented player, so he wouldn't really fill that roll. The other bigs that have done well at Duke have been more of the back to the basket, post-up, center types. Guys like S Williams, Boozer, Okafor,and whatever the name of the guy that was there 2 seasons ago (their one and dones are starting to run together - can't really distinguish them any more). If I recall, the knock on Okafor this draft (and part of the reason he dropped a little), was because he hadn't shown that he had an NBA type game - because he played more of an old school, back to the basket game. It also seems like the Duke bigs that have underwhelmed relative to their recruiting rankings are guys that couldn't really play that perimeter position, but weren't really a low block type of banger. Guys like Jefferson, L Thomas, McRoberts, S Randolph, etc.

Am I saying that Giles will miss out on the NBA by going to Duke? Of course not. However, I can almost guarantee you that Manning will make sure that he plays a position and type of game that will be most similar to what will be expected of him in the NBA.

I think a pretty decent case can be made that Duke's pigeonholing Okafor's game into the deep post cost him the #2 overall spot. When you look at his NBA game, you realize that he can do a lot more than score from 2 feet away, which is pretty much all he did at Duke. Look at his offensive skill set from last night. He might not have gone #1 overall over KAT, but there is no way Okafor falls to #3 if he plays for a different team.

It will be interesting to see what Giles does. I think his best fit is Wake Forest. For now and definitely for the future. You need a marketing story if you want to make that marketing money. Hometown hero is a great way to start.

Um, I think the Lakers were gonna take a PG regardless of whether it was Mudiay or Russell.

There were definitely NBA people that questioned whether Okafor's game is suited for "today's NBA." Or that he had proven that he had the game for it. Several said that Okafor would have been the number one pick 5-10 years ago; however, they felt that KAT's skill set and game were more suited for how the game is played right now.

There were definitely NBA people that questioned whether Okafor's game is suited for "today's NBA." Or that he had proven that he had the game for it. Several said that Okafor would have been the number one pick 5-10 years ago; however, they felt that KAT's skill set and game were more suited for how the game is played right now.

plama was driving the Okafor > Towns bus come draft time.

http://www.ogboards.com/forums/show...est-gasbags-Click-to-see-why?highlight=okafor

Last edited:

This. Okafor is the most offensively skilled freshman big man in what, 30 years?

I don't think he's more skilled than Embiid was, and that was just last year. Okafor is absolutely terrific with his back to the basket, but his face up offensive game is badly lacking. Embiid was far more well rounded coming out of college offensively, and light years ahead defensively.

The fact that he basically can't shoot outside of 10ft and is such a dreadful FT shooter is a massive hole in his offensive "skill". It just is.

palma watches and knows college bball. Listen to the man.

I just don't think he's a terrific, top level prospect. I'd take a number of bigs from the past few drafts over him. Just going from 2010 to now, I'd rank all these guys as better prospects overall (that I'd rather have over Okafor) - no order to this, just the order they were drafted year by year.

Derrick Favors
Demarcus Cousins
Anthony Davis
Nerlens Noel
Joel Embiid
Karl-Anthony Towns

Okafor's on the Greg Monroe / Enes Kanter level for me - good players, going to put up a lot of stats, not convinced you can build a winning team around them. He's just not a top level prospect, imo.

Same thing happened to Boozer. He was very much the only post player Duke had on that team. Made him look like he'd be an undersized big at the NBA level. He's obviously not All-NBA, but he's had a nice career (better than where he was drafted, anyway).

It's a valid concern at Duke, I think.

This is true. Rodney was the #7 recruit in the nation (right about where CP3 was by the way) and then the McDonald's game happened and I was like...he is closer to #1, 2 or 3. He was a program changer.

Also, I would hope Giles would want to play against (and beat) Jayson Tatum, not with him. Tatum is really, really skilled and I personally like to test myself against the best.
Good luck in the decision making process to Mr. Giles - would love to see you a DEAC!

Something doesn't add up "Complacent" deac.

Jesus, plama, it was one game. How the shit was vad's post even wrong after their respective debuts, anyway? He said that Okafor is going to be a big PTS/REB guy, and that KAT is going to be the better all-around player because his defense isn't dogshit.

So far, both of those things check out.

Back