• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

The key to this trade for me is that it frees up rondon to be or floating stopper in middle innings when we need an out.

Man, thats a lot to give up. Don't care about Warren, McKinney is still a potential lotto ticket if he can develop some power. The other I would assume is just a guy, but still. 4 for 1?

Steep price for marginal improvement. Hoping Royals move Davis and Hoch and maybe Kelvin Herrera.

Man, thats a lot to give up. Don't care about Warren, McKinney is still a potential lotto ticket if he can develop some power. The other I would assume is just a guy, but still. 4 for 1?

The real cost would be Torres, McKinney, Crawford and Castro. A very heavy price for the hardest throwing pitcher in baseball, possibly of all time. If Chapman signs an extension, then make the deal. Pitchers like Chapman don't grow on trees. It's a rare opportunity to acquire a proven closer with a rare ability. No extension, no deal.

I usually don't like deals of this nature but this would radically improve the bullpen. Like others have said, it has been 71 years since a World Series and 108 years since a Championship. No guts, no glory. It's not like the cupboard would be left empty.

Agreed the extension is the key to this deal.

But...Cubs are 55-1 when leading going into 9th, 53-1 going into 8th, 53-5 going into 7th. Doesn't appear to be much room for improvement from status quo but Chapman adds strength for postseason.

Fuck it, I say go for it.

Don't like losing Torres, but we have Russell for the foreseeable future, and Torres is still at least a year and a half away from getting to the majors.

Really hope we get Chapman on an extension. Speculation from the Yanks is that they want to re-sign him after the year.

I'm sure they do.

They'll have a good bit of money freed up this offseason as well

Agreed the extension is the key to this deal.

But...Cubs are 55-1 when leading going into 9th, 53-1 going into 8th, 53-5 going into 7th. Doesn't appear to be much room for improvement from status quo but Chapman adds strength for postseason.

This team desperately needed an upgrade in the pen - the status quo was an underwhelming 6-9 innings. The cubs have won 27 games by more than 5 runs - we don't need pen help for those games, but we do when we play against good teams/pitchers.

I'm sure they do.

They'll have a good bit of money freed up this offseason as well

Who's coming off the books after this year? Fowler and Wood? That's not a ton - am I missing someone?

After 2017, definitely, Miggy is gone, Lackey is gone, Hammel is gone, Arrieta may be

Who's coming off the books after this year? Fowler and Wood? That's not a ton - am I missing someone?

After 2017, definitely, Miggy is gone, Lackey is gone, Hammel is gone, Arrieta may be

Think he was referencing the Yanks.

If there ever is a year to go for it, it's this year. Gotta lock down the closer spot. I agree that getting Chapman to sign the extension would be optimal.

The Chapman deal was finalized without a signed extension. I'm surprised but glad they made the deal. Chapman has no peer as a power closer. The chance of signing him improve once he's in the clubhouse.

Hadn't rallied from 4 or more down all season before yday. Let's make it two in two days

Saw this on a Cubs blog - case for Baez/Reddick platoon - with a righty pitching, we put Reddick in left and bryant at 3rd, against a lefty, put Baez at 3rd and Bryant in left. Pretty solid platoon.

baez-reddick-rizzo-2.0.jpg

Richard DFA-ed.

Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, we're free at last

Back