• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Maddon's first mistake was letting Arrieta walk the second batter. His second mistake was not trusting Rondon to get the final out in the eighth. Chapman is seldom used when runners are on base. He starts an inning when the bases are empty. He proved human. This was bound to happen eventually. Learn from it.

When you are a stud closer, you need to be able to come in to get an out in the 8th if necessary. Especially as a lefty against a lefty batter.

Agreed. Martin was the variable. He hits LH pitchers better than RH pitchers. Rondon has been the best reliever on the team for 2.5 years. He had retired both batters he had faced without difficulty. Trust him to get the third. Just an opinion.

Agreed. Martin was the variable. He hits LH pitchers better than RH pitchers. Rondon has been the best reliever on the team for 2.5 years. He had retired both batters he had faced without difficulty. Trust him to get the third. Just an opinion.

If true, I agree with you it made sense to leave Rondon in after getting the first two outs.

Martin vs RHP: .236 BA, .322 OBP, .404 SLG....vs LHP .283 BA, .330 OBP, .478 SLG. Len and JD had mentioned this disparity the previous game when Lester was pitching. At the moment he is 4 for 5 against Cub lefties this series.

Matusz failed. Hope the extra day off helps the starters.

A vendor of my business is an important Cubs business partner which usually means I get taken to a game or two every season. On Friday, I was invited along with about 15 or so others to come to the Cubs corporate offices for a tour of the ongoing construction around Wrigley and then for the game.

I hadn't paid a ton of attention to this previously but what the Cubs are building is going to be very, very cool. Apart from all the changes in Wrigley itself, they're also putting up an office building to house their corporate headquarters that will be one side of what will become a mostly grass plaza in the summer and a skating rink in the winter, right next to the stadium. The idea is that the plaza will be a place to watch games, see concerts, go ice skating, etc. They're also building a hotel on the other side of the plaza although that construction is just in its infancy. I know none of this is news but it was the first time I'd focused on it and it was very impressive to see the renderings and the ongoing construction.

And Friday's game was a blast.

Maddon says rumor mill is quiet - most things I am seeing is that we were on Reddick, but he's gone, so no other bat on the market intrigues the front office - still looking for a solid SP, but seem most likely to stay pat right now unless something of value comes up.

Just watched last night's highlights. Amaze balls. There is nothing I love more in life than the suicide squeeze.

Loved how David Ross told Wood as he was walking into the dugout that he missed the cut off man on his throw to the infield after he made that catch.

Cubs trade for another reliever, righty Joe Smith from the Angels - will basically switch out with Patton tomorrow.

Cubs trade for another reliever, righty Joe Smith from the Angels - will basically switch out with Patton tomorrow.

Trade a single A pitcher, Jesus Castillo, he's been in the system for 3 years, but is only 21 - looked solid this year, there was an article on him recently - he had a couple of 10+ strikeout games in rookie ball. Even if Smith is a complete bust, this is a fine trade.

Any news on Grimm? I thought he would return after the Matusz start. He has had his difficulties but has not allowed a run in his last ten appearances.

Smith has good career numbers and experience. Having a tough year but hasn't allowed a run in his last eight appearances. The submarine/ sidewinder delivery is different.

Back